Is it possible to install 1.7 on top of an existing 1.6 ?

gray

I have a PS 1.6 running on localhost with a partially built new template. I feel I must stop doing any more changes to this new template as its not going to be upgradable to 1.7

Is it possible to install 1.7 on top of an existing 1.6 ? . Will the upgrade delete all the old modules ?

i also would not rush into upgrading to PS v1.7 so quickly.  finish your store on PS v1.6, it will be a while before v1.7 is stable and ready for production.

Don't fall into the trap of believing it is production stable, just because PS says it is

i also would not rush into upgrading to PS v1.7 so quickly.  finish your store on PS v1.6, it will be a while before v1.7 is stable and ready for production.

Don't fall into the trap of believing it is production stable, just because PS says it is

I usually wait several days before installing updates, even within the 1.6.x version. Sometimes there is a second update just days later to fix the bugs introduced within the previous update, and only if I see a week later that there has been no new update, and no catastrophic messages on the forum, then I do upgrade.