Getting prestashop to look like it used to.

cyris69

Is there any way to make the shop look like it used to back in 1.4 or 1.5? I don't like the over stylized huge pictures everywhere etc just want the old category list on left, hot/fav items on right kind of look.

Is there any way to do this?

However my new product block isnt showing anything new I've added

make sure you have configured Smarty correctly, so it will compile when the file is changed.

you can try to set to "force compile" at back office - Advanced Parameters - Performance tab, Smarty section.

How would you recommend setting it up properly? Right now I'm requesting xcache be installed on the server which it used to be. I had no issues in 1.5 (which I preferred)

I have 

Smart cache for CSS & Smart cache for JavaScript Enabled

I tried force compile and for it to compile when changes are made and nothing has shown up. I have cleared my browser cache as well.
Edited by cyris69 (see edit history)

Also please make sure you are working the right file.

The category block is from a module, the related theme file could be override by new one under your theme folder.

1. /modules/blockcategories/blockcategories.tpl

2. /themes/YourThemeFolder/modules/blockcategories/blockcategories.tpl

The above 2nd file will override the first file, if you modify on first file, it will never take in effect unless you delete the 2nd one.

I'm just using the default theme that came with the installation. I removed the #2 file you mentioned. Cleared cache and rebuilt, but nothing happening. I've tested by having teh product associated with and without the home category to no avail :(

Since this is a merely a test site and nothing is for real world use would you mind logging in and seeing what has happened? It worked before I swapped index to left column enabled giving me the category sidebar visible at home page.