Email Configuration Error - Gmail Smtp Server

ralph.poland

Question

Hello Guys,

I can`t configure my email in prestashop cloud version. 

Erro shows when trying to send checking email : 

Error: Please check your configuration
The SMTP connection failed to start [smtp.gmail.com :25]: fsockopen returned Error Number 0 and Error String 'php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known'

SMTP server : smtp.gmail.com

smtp username: [email protected]

password : xxxxxxx

+

I tryied all  combinations of encryption (encryption none, SSL, TLS )  and port ( 465 , 587 )

I  chose "  Set my own SMTP parameters (for advanced users ONLY) "

In my gmail account IMAP protocole is enabled

In customer position email is correct 

In my google accout 2part verification is turned off

I tryied everything i found in the internet and still not workin

Did anyone had similar problem ??

Edited by ralph.poland (see edit history)

29 answers to this question

According to your error above >> smtp.gmail.com :25 

I assume that port number is changing and not 25 every time?

Because if it is  smtp.gmail.com :25 that is part of the problem.

I just took a look at Google and yeah, the IMAP port is only for receiving mail, just like a POP port, sorry about that. I decided to give it a try on my machine and it worked using the SSL setting,

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - SSL: smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL: 465

So are you see the error with smtp.gmail.com :465 or smtp.gmail.com :25 ?

I trydied at the firts time 

encryption ssl

port 465 

i did the same for tls / 587

and  many other combinanation  , port 25, port 933 that u told me to check... 

and still nothing....i`m lost ;/

Error information also changes an every time i change port and enryption. 

ssl/465

tls / 587

smpt connection failed , 

i must say that is 1 firts time when i use PS and my It skill are on very basic level 

MS OUTLOOk WORKS FINE

encryption ssl

port 465 

Could this be couse of the domain that i use right now. I didn`t addin  PS setting SSl certificate to this domain. But I checked the default PS domani which already has SSL with the same setting and didn`t work out. Any more ideas??  

No, the SSL is provided by gmail. 

I guess you'll need to contact Cloud support. See if they support gmail. 

Like I said, I tried it with my setup and it worked. So at least we know it is possible. If you like I could move this thread over to the cloud forum ... it might get a better response in that forum.

Would be great IF you could. I read that the other people had some similar problem with gmail but on their instaled version of PS and they changed something in code and after this it worked. But there were post talking about some older version PS and i rather cant change anything in cloud version

Independent from §5.5 and what others claim I got my problem with Gmail solved!!!

For all who are in the same (desparate) situation I was here is how it worked finally on my side:

All Gmail addresses I had before I set up PS Cloud did not work, but after creating a new Emailaddress with Gmail it worked!

The settings I use are:

Google: enable smtp and imap AND enable "allow less safe apps"

PS Backend -> Advanced Parameters -> Email:

Mail domain name: leave this box empty

smtp server: smtp.gmail.com

smtp username: your individual username (= your full gmail-address like [email protected])

smtp password: your individual password (= your Gmail login password)

encryption: SSL enabled

Port: 465

So my recommendation for all with gmail problems is to create a new email address in Gmail, then setting the email-function of PS according the data above. Here on my side it works now like a charme.

Good luck,

Martin

Edited by mag29 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Tahnks Mag29 , I`ll check it.  I was trying use the other email providers but It didnt work as well. Even sent questin to PS support but they havent answer yet. Hope that crating new email will help. 

Have you tryied to send test email from shop administrative panel ??

Ralph,

yes, have sent the test mail from the BackOffice, all works incl. order confirmation email incl invoice, newsletter registration confirmation email and account creation email confirmation.

Create a new account and try again. Let me know if this works.

Good luck,

Martin

Ralph, good to hear that the new account works on your side, too! I have absolutely no clue why the old account does not work, while the new one with the 100% same settings does: it is the same on my side, but as the issue is now fixed for me I do not care about strange things with Google-software. ;-)

I just think it is important for others to know the (strange) solution to this gmail-problem, so we got a solution that works on my side and you have positively tested it on your side, I recommend to go our way for all who have issues with gmail.

Cheers

Marti 

• Like 1

You don't really have to create a new account, you just can go to "https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps"

Update: i did the test with a account which doesn't send trough Prestashop cloud, after going to the URL it worked perfectly.

Kind regards,

Jaimy

Edited by Crezzur (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Jaimy,

no, this did not work with the old account for me, I (and others) had def. to create a new account. Feels like you are somehow "burnt" on google side with your old account if you have unsuccessfully tried the smtp because you did not enable the less safe apps option (sounds that you tested with an account that was not "burnt").

My recommendation (new account) is for all who have no success even after enabeling the less safe apps option.

Best regards

Martin

did you also disable the 2 steps check from google ?

yes, I invested tremendous time, I followed and tried all google recommendations and forum advices without success, just the new account-way made it for me. This way it worked instantly without any problem, using the same settings as with my failed trials with the old account, so there were no wrong settings on my side.

Edited by mag29 (see edit history)

The same was in my case. Every option checked like 2 step veryf., allowiing to login from unsafe apps,  plus many, many more other option that i`ve seen in the other PS user on forum and finally started working when i use mag29 advice an created new account. 

A mi para resolver este asunto que pasa periodicamente uso esta guía que encontré navegando hace tiempo: 

Lo que se me suele olvidar es el paso 2, (desbloquear el captach temporalmente por lo que prestashop no puede entrar)

Un vez lo hago funciona:

Step 1: Enable Allow less secure apps

Logged in your gmail acccount and click here: https://myaccount.google.com/u/5/lesssecureapps?pageId=none

Change Allow less secure apps:On

Step 2: Unlock Captcha for your gmail account
Logged in your gmail account, click this link and unlock it https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Step 3: Logged in Prestashop Backoffice > Advanced Parameters > E-mail

In Email section, choose option: Set my own SMTP parameters (for advanced users ONLY)

Step 4: In Advanced Parameters > E-mail page, scroll down to Email section, Enter your informatio

Mail domain name: Empty
SMTP server: enter smtp.gmail.com
SMTP username: Enter your gmail included @gmail.com
SMTP password: Enter your gmail password
Encryption: Choice  TSL o SSL
Encryption: Enter 465

Saludos!

• Thanks 1