Paypal orders not being confirmed when behind Cloudflare

I have been using Cloudflare as an extra security layer to prevent DDOS attacks and hacking.  I am having some problems with orders now and was hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

I was receiving orders just fine before.  Nothing else has changed that I know of.

Customer creates a cart, is directed to Paypal for payment, pays, and then sometimes the order is not confirmed in Prestashop.  There is no evidence of the order being completed.  The only thing that is left is what looks like an abandoned cart.  Payment is received just fine.  Nothing in the customer order history.  No email confirmations.

This problem is intermittent.  Sometimes orders complete, and sometimes they don't.

I figured there may be some communication problem between Paypal and Prestashop with Cloudflare in the middle?  

This happens a lot and is a big problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Jessica, please check out my post at the bottom of this case:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/453974-no-order-confirmation-when-paying-by-paypal/

it might be the same case.

Please note the problem I have verified occurs also without Cloudflare, so check if order's (or better said cart's) customer data is equal to that of the paypal payment. If not, you have got the same bug afecting my installs.

I can see many posts about paypal behind cloudfare but no solution

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=prestashop+paypal+cloudflare+site:www.prestashop.com

to fix with existing information is not possible.

I would be checking my php error log to look for an error related

here is same search with 'solved'...I didnt have time to look at them all

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=prestashop+solved+paypal+cloudflare+site:www.prestashop.com

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

Thanks, El Patron.  I will look at those.  I have been Googling to the point that my eyes are glazing over.  Ha!

I am not 100% sure if this is a problem because of Cloudflare or a problem with the module or PS.  I have found a lot of posts unrelated to Cloudflare where the user has the same issues and it seems to be a problem with the PP module or PS.  I have not found a solution though.

I contacted Cloudflare and they said this...

Every error I have logged that looks like PayPal (resource is GET /modules/paypal/express_checkout/payment.php?token=<whatever>) was a 500 error returned by your origin. Do you see anything in your own access/error logs to indicate why the 500 would have been returned?

I cannot find any log errors that are related or really even unrelated.  There wasn't much going on with the logs.

Error reporting isn't helpful either.

There seems to be some difference between Express Checkout and regular checkout that makes Express work, but not the other.  Which would make me think this is possibly a module or PS issue.  But I have updated both, so I can't figure out what the issue would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have a similiar issue with Cloduflare and the skrill module.

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/447145-moneybookers-skrill-module-not-working/

I got now some support from the skrill team and they gave the following information. 

Perhaps this might be the right step to the soultion.

Status: [500 Can't connect to www.aktiv-naturheilmittel.at:443 (SSL connect attempt failed because of handshake problemserror:14094438:SSL routines:func(148):reason(1080))]

Would you please make sure that both have return url and url cancel any matters with certificates.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem and it turns out that sometimes the customer closes the page as soon as they get the PayPal payment confirmation screen but before it redirects back to the website. So the payment goes through but Prestashop has no idea that the order has been completed so leaves it as an abandoned cart. Apparently there is no way around this which I find bizarre. It may be the same problem you are having? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I had this same problem and it turns out that sometimes the customer closes the page as soon as they get the PayPal payment confirmation screen but before it redirects back to the website. So the payment goes through but Prestashop has no idea that the order has been completed so leaves it as an abandoned cart. Apparently there is no way around this which I find bizarre. It may be the same problem you are having? 

You need to enabled PayPal AutoReturn to avoid the problem. The setting needed to work with PrestaShop are here.

• Like 1