Biggest Issues With Prestashop

Hi all,

I'm thinking of migrating from BigCommerce to PrestaShop. BigCommerce development is all but non-existent and I'm losing sales because of functionality that doesn't exist and can't be added. It is time to upgrade to a more flexible platform. I really like the demo stores I have opened with PrestaShop both on the front and back end. The customer experience/UI is 10x better out of the box than my bigcommerce store is today.

I want to know from your perspective, what are the biggest issues you are facing right now with PrestaShop. What are some of the shortcomings or problems a lot of people are experiencing?

Thanks!

Read this forum. In fact, many people have no problem and many people have some problems. It depends on PrestaShop version (coming 1.6.0.11 looks pretty good), settings, theme and modules used. There is no general answer.

I think one of the most important questions to ask is: Can you adequately represent and price your product with the limitations inherent in the out-of-the-box architecture? Think about what your most complex product looks like:

- 1 product available as a single SKU (DVD, camera, table, etc)?

- 1 product available in various configurations as multiple SKUs (Shirt available in multiple sizes and colors, etc.)?

- multiple products in a family of products without configuration options?

The more complex your product configurations are, the more difficult it will be to implement without at least some thought or maybe even customization.

For example: A pair of shoes available in limited sizes can be represented on a product page with a single user-friendly select list. However, a shirt available in 2 colors and 2 sizes could require 2 separate user selections and this can be less user-friendly.

- Size (small, large)

- Color (red, yellow)

If a particular combination is not available, the customer has no way of knowing that until he/she selects both of the options and is then told that combination is not available. It can be done this way but, in my opinion, it's an ugly implementation.

Alternatively, you could define your product combinations so as to limit available products to a single select list.

- Available options (small red, large red, small yellow, large yellow)

With this approach, if you don't allow out-of-stock sales, the unavailable options don't even show up in the single select list. MUCH more user-friendly!

I've seen some product configurations described in the forums for which a simple product/pricing model seems impossible without some customization work to accommodate the requirements. Do your planning and model a couple of your most complex product configurations!

I think one of the most important questions to ask is: Can you adequately represent and price your product with the limitations inherent in the out-of-the-box architecture? Think about what your most complex product looks like:

- 1 product available as a single SKU (DVD, camera, table, etc)?

- 1 product available in various configurations as multiple SKUs (Shirt available in multiple sizes and colors, etc.)?

- multiple products in a family of products without configuration options?

The more complex your product configurations are, the more difficult it will be to implement without at least some thought or maybe even customization.

For example: A pair of shoes available in limited sizes can be represented on a product page with a single user-friendly select list. However, a shirt available in 2 colors and 2 sizes could require 2 separate user selections and this can be less user-friendly.

- Size (small, large)

- Color (red, yellow)

If a particular combination is not available, the customer has no way of knowing that until he/she selects both of the options and is then told that combination is not available. It can be done this way but, in my opinion, it's an ugly implementation.

Alternatively, you could define your product combinations so as to limit available products to a single select list.

- Available options (small red, large red, small yellow, large yellow)

With this approach, if you don't allow out-of-stock sales, the unavailable options don't even show up in the single select list. MUCH more user-friendly!

I've seen some product configurations described in the forums for which a simple product/pricing model seems impossible without some customization work to accommodate the requirements. Do your planning and model a couple of your most complex product configurations!

Interesting point about options. One of the issues I have with BigCommerce is that there are no "chained options" where you choose the first and the other options change to match only available options combinations. Are you saying that PrestaShop works the same way by default?

It does work the same way. 

This is my thing though, I would prefer that to be a module, not default functionality. As more and more new features and functions are added to the core, PrestaShop will get slower and consume more resources. Then there will be a point where PrestaShop has every feature to meet everyone's needs, but it will take a dedicated server to run. Similar to Magento. 

I personally would prefer the core be stripped down a lot and have more of the "features" as modules. Stock, warehouses, multishop, features, combinations, the stat core, price rules, I could go on. But those are the things that slow shops down and they could be modules. 

I think most everything on the list that I made would not affect speed. Only upgrading the swiftmailer might affect it a little bit, but you would be talking about miliseconds after an order has been placed, or after the account creation button has been placed. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
@Dh42 great article.
There's a lot of new features in Presta but some of them seem to be not thought out enough for production sites. I don't uderstand why I can't edit product image label after upload (basic feature), or why product categories navigation/filtering in backend is so unfriendly. The best thing is Customer Service. We have messages in one place, yes... but we can't navigate efficently through them. We can't read customer messages in order page so when employee adds message it goes into black hole.

I personally would prefer the core be stripped down a lot and have more of the "features" as modules. Stock, warehouses, multishop, features, combinations, the stat core, price rules, I could go on. But those are the things that slow shops down and they could be modules.

Thumbs up for that. The most important are rock solid basic features, performance, user friendly interface and stability.
Edited by deuterit (see edit history)