How to clean install Prestashop 1.6 and link old database

okaty

Hi,

I installed the lastest Prestashop version (1.6.0.9) and had a probelm with missing files. My site right now is a mess. I've tried reparing the damage done but no hope. So my last idea is to install a clean prestashop 1.6 and link it to the old database, but i'm not sure how. And i would like to know how this affects the rest of the site tools like adwords, google indexing, e-mail servers and so on.

I would like your opinion to know what to do, and if the clean install is the simplest way. And please help me to link the old database instead of the default database prestashop comes with. And how can i make a fresh prestashop 1.6 install.

Edited by okaty (see edit history)

I upgraded from version 1.5.4 . I have a full backup of the site. I tried restoring from this backup using the server's own program (softaculos) but it isn't working. It does not copy all the files, but the backup contains them. I was afraid if deleting the hall site and manual upgrading from the backup ( copy - paste). It ia safe to do that? Will the database remain linked with the website? And will there be any problems because i dont install prestashop and only copy-paste the backup?

Thanks for the answears so far

A few notes:

- never rely on Prestashop's backup during upgrades. It is better to make a real backup and then to do the upgrade without backupping files (saves you also a lot of time and the risk of timeouts).

- copying the database to a fresh install is an option. However, you should always copy to the same version of Prestashop. Also you must only copy the products, etc. and not the configuration data. So that takes some expertise to decide which tables to export in phpMyAdmin and then to import into your new install instead of the present tables.

- when upgrading it sometimes helps to switch back to the default theme before you start the upgrade, And of course you should disable non-native modules.