Performance - Consider fast? Possible to go faster

Hi experts,

I have just setup a prestashop 1.609 instance in a dedicated server and did some performance finetuning.

It runs considerably fast now but i'm not sure whether there is still room for improvement with the current hardware specs. I was pretty happy with the result until when i also installed another cart, opencart, the sake of comparison, i notice it is blazing fast as compared to prestashop.

Below are the current configurations and profiling results.

Notes: Only the default sample products are installed, but I'm using a paid template.

Any thought?

Window Server 2008 R2

Intel Xeon CPU E5 1.8GHz (2 processors)

32 GB RAM

WAMP with fastcgi and opcache enabled.

zlib.output_compression = On
zlib.output_compression_level = 6

Smarty cache enabled in prestashop.

Smart cache for CSS - Yes
Smart cache for JavaScript -Yes
Minify HTML - No 
Compress inline JavaScript in HTML - No
Move JavaScript to the end - Yes
Apache optimization - Yes

Load time: 437 ms
Good boy! That's what I call a webserver!
Execution Load time (ms) config 172 constructor 0 init 16 checkAccess 0 setMedia 0 postProcess 0 initHeader 0 initContent 172 initFooter 31 display 47
Hook processing: 234 ms / 5.39 Mb
69 methods called in 32 modules
Hook Processing displayTop 1.49 Mb in 62 ms displayHome 0.86 Mb in 62 ms displayFooter 0.18 Mb in 31 ms displayHeader 1.92 Mb in 31 ms moduleRoutes 0.31 Mb in 16 ms displayslideshow 0.01 Mb in 16 ms displayLeftColumn 0.31 Mb in 16 ms displayTopColumn 0.02 Mb in 0 ms displayMainmenu 0.04 Mb in 0 ms displayFootertop 0.02 Mb in 0 ms displayFooterbottom 0.02 Mb in 0 ms displayMapLocal 0.00 Mb in 0 ms displayNav 0.03 Mb in 0 ms displayBottom 0.04 Mb in 0 ms displayContentBottom 0.11 Mb in 0 ms actionObjectAddAfter 0.00 Mb in 0 ms displayHomeTab 0.00 Mb in 0 ms actionFrontControllerSetMedia 0.00 Mb in 0 ms actionDispatcher 0.00 Mb in 0 ms displayHomeTabContent 0.00 Mb in 0 ms DisplayOverrideTemplate 0.00 Mb in 0 ms actionObjectConnectionAddAfter 0.00 Mb in 0 ms actionObjectConnectionAddBefore 0.00 Mb in 0 ms actionObjectAddBefore 0.00 Mb in 0 ms displayBanner 0.02 Mb in 0 ms
Memory peak usage: 9.5 Mb
Execution Memory (Mb) Total (Mb) config 2.98 3.0 constructor 0.00 3.0 init 0.53 3.5 checkAccess 0.00 3.5 setMedia 0.04 3.6 postProcess 0.00 3.6 initHeader 0.00 3.6 initContent 4.60 8.5 initFooter 0.19 8.5 display 0.52 9.5
Total cache size (in Cache class): 0.79 Mb
DB type: DbPDO
SQL Queries: 199 queries
Time spent querying: 125 ms
Included files: 283
Size of included files: 4.87 Mb
Globals (> 1 Ko only): 464 Ko
  • _MODULES ≈ 279 Ko
  • _LANG ≈ 132.6 Ko
  • context ≈ 39.1 Ko
  • _SERVER ≈ 7.8 Ko
  • _COOKIE ≈ 1.2 Ko

A server that respond fast is very good but you can also try to optimise your theme to make it very fast to download, parse and render. Test your store with gtmetrix.com it will give you tips for optimisations.

Also you can add an HTML cache module like mine (Page Cache) or Cache manager to speed the page generation.

A server that respond fast is very good but you can also try to optimise your theme to make it very fast to download, parse and render. Test your store with gtmetrix.com it will give you tips for optimisations.

Also you can add an HTML cache module like mine (Page Cache) or Cache manager to speed the page generation.

Thanks for the tips.

Does the html cache module mostly rely on browser cache? I'm just wondering if it can improve the loading when user first time access a particular page.

Thanks for the tips.

Does the html cache module mostly rely on browser cache? I'm just wondering if it can improve the loading when user first time access a particular page.

On first access Page Cache is using server cache, on second access of same user the browser cache is used. Both access are faster than without cache.

On first access Page Cache is using server cache, on second access of same user the browser cache is used. Both access are faster than without cache.

Sounds good. I will consider the cache module.

The biggest performance tip I can give without looking at the site is to use a linux server as opposed to a windows server. 

it is the only existing dedicated server I can install prestashop. Unless I can convince my client to subscribe a linux server, i do not have the luxury to try and run a comparison benchmark test. do you think the performance will improve significantly?

Dh42 also forgot to mention that he prefers Open Office over Microsoft Office. ^_^

A mouse is for sissy's give me shell commands or give me death, right Dh42?

Linux sucks. There is a reason the Windows Server is used by more web sites even though Linux is free. 

In the July 2014 survey we received responses from 996,106,380 sites.

Microsoft gained 22 million sites this month, helping to increase its market share by 1.18 percentage points. Combined with a 1.78 point loss in Apache's market share, Microsoft is now the new market leader with a 37.5% share of all sites.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/07/31/july-2014-web-server-survey.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Linux sucks. There is a reason the Windows Server is used by more web sites even though Linux is free. 

In the July 2014 survey we received responses from 996,106,380 sites.

Microsoft gained 22 million sites this month, helping to increase its market share by 1.18 percentage points. Combined with a 1.78 point loss in Apache's market share, Microsoft is now the new market leader with a 37.5% share of all sites.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/07/31/july-2014-web-server-survey.html

I read that article and it says the increase is only from link farms out of China. Way to go MS

Edited by Billy (see edit history)