Varnish http accelerator - doesn't like prestashop software?

My shop has been 'frozen' now for 7 days!

I can not update anything on the site. I'm using 1.5.6.2

Hosting provider is now blaming prestashop software for the issue

Purge of the server cache failed to make any progress,It appeared to be ignored.

the theme template provider has tested the shop finding that no changes are possible even if you delete a file it remains on the frontend! (thanks to template monster for excellent after sales support).

Can anyone shed any light on this issue please?

Prestashop moderators please can you advise? should I upgrade away from 1.5.6.2?

I really need to get to work so this is URGENT guys.

Thanks

Hi El patron

Thanks for taking a look at this.

I have repeatedly asked them to do this (disable the varnish cache) I don't know how to do this myself?

they are soooo slow in responding to my email alertes!

Its the obvious thing to do so I'll keep asking them to get on with it and come back here as soon as I know more.

some hosting control panels allow you to turn off varnish there...

I prefer performance improvement within ps, as compared to using outside ps solutions which can lead to  'unpredictable' results.

I am no varnish expert, really don't know much about it at all, but I think it's more for static type content, blogs etc.

please let us know how this all sorts out.

Hello El Patron,

Here below is the response from my hosting provider:

By default, static elements are cached for 120 seconds. But it seems that your application set a different value of "max-age" :

curl -I http://velofrance.fr/themes/theme673/img/images/bg-main.jpg

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: Apache/2.4.6

Last-Modified: Tue, 13 May 2014 06:35:18 GMT

ETag: "5674-ec0f8-4f942446e1602"

Cache-Control: max-age=2592000

Expires: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 23:43:59 GMT

Content-Type: image/jpeg

Content-Length: 966904

Accept-Ranges: bytes

Vary: Host

Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 23:43:59 GMT

Connection: keep-alive

Via: 1.1 varnish

As you can see it here, the value of max-age is high : 2592000 seconds which is 30 days.

I then invite you to check your settings' application. You probably have a caching module enabled that specify this duration.

I am at your disposal should you need any further information.

Best regards,

I would appreciate any advice to help resolve this. And any thoughts on why it happens and how to avoid it?

Good for me my shop is not yet live.

Many thanks

What type of resource are you having problems with caching? Also, are you running varnish as a cpanel plugin, or is it the full installed package? Last question, once your site is developed are you going to be constantly updating it, or is it pretty much going to sit with not many new products added?

• Like 1

Hi DH42

Thanks for looking at this. I'm on 1.5.6.2 using Gandi.net hosting provider.

I'm a newbie and don't fully understand what is happening here.

I'll try to answer your questions as accurately as possible:-

I have been unable to make changes to any images on my site for 8 days or more. I understood it was a 'cache problem' but didn't know what 'varnish' was before Gandi.net mentioned it.

As this is the hosting service provider describing the http accelerator I assume it is fully implemented. I don't know what is a cpanel plug in, sorry.

My site will be selling cycling wear, so will require updating for stock updates and new arrivals or promotionals. Some stock is very limited supply and collectable, so a potential for higher turnover of new images and descriptions.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

I would ask them to disable it as well or to give you some method to invalidate the cache. Varnish is good, but if you need to invalidate the cache a lot, it becomes a hassle. Also, you can ask them to disable all file types in the vlc file and then it won't cache any files. 

I am inclined to think they do not know how to use varnish, or it is set up incorrectly. The expires header Prestashop uses in the htaccess file, varnish should rewrite its own expires header over the htaccess one. 

I would ask them to disable it as well or to give you some method to invalidate the cache. Varnish is good, but if you need to invalidate the cache a lot, it becomes a hassle. Also, you can ask them to disable all file types in the vlc file and then it won't cache any files. 

I am inclined to think they do not know how to use varnish, or it is set up incorrectly. The expires header Prestashop uses in the htaccess file, varnish should rewrite its own expires header over the htaccess one. 

is there a need for a module to work with varnish and PrestaShop?  :)

There could be, but I don't know if it would have the proper access privileges. I think most varnish installations keep the vlc file far above the http directory. You might be able to write something that can invalidate the cache, but normally you need root access to invalidate one. 

• Like 1

To update those of you kind enough to show interest in this issue .....

Stll no response from Gandi.net re how to disable the 'varnish cache'.................... I have flagged this up again with them a further 3 times since

the last post.

Not good

Is anyone familiar with the Gandi control panel? Is it possible to make the 'adjustments to the cache myself? how?

Today I'm looking at my hosting providers advice 'how to deactivate the Varnish cache'.

Guys, is there not an issue here between prestashop 1.5.6.2 and varnish cache function?

It looks as though I am about to start deactivating and then re activating the cache just to put up new stock images or change backround etc.

This can't be right?

I know I'm a newbie here, learning as I go, but surely someone else out there has seen this varnish cache issue before?

A better solution from prestashop is what? please.......

I've lost loads of time on this

It really is not an issue with Prestashop and varnish cache, it is understanding how varnish works. Varnish is generally not deployed on sites that change a lot. When it is, it is deployed by someone that knows how to void the cache or it is deployed to not cache some resources. 

Basically, varnish is acting like varnish acts, it has nothing to do with Prestashop. I have some clients that I manage the servers with that I use varnish with. Everyone else that manages their own servers I recommend not using varnish, because you have to void the cache on it when you make some changes. 

Thanks to Dh42

So to sum up this issue, it is fair to say that 'varnish cache' as provided by some hosting providers is NOT suitable for many if not most e-commerce web sites.

This is a point I am now taking up with my hosting provider Gandi.net. I await their point of view.

Thanks to all who have looked into this issue from the start, and particularly 'template monster' for excellent after sales support.

For my part I am today still not in a position to build onto my shop my stock images, remove my placeholders or change the background image.

Did I make a classic 'newbie' error by taking on a hosting provider without fully understanding the services they offer? I think so - but I was following the recommendations of another prestashop user at the time.

You live and learn

After a 'total fail' by my current hosting provider Gandi.net to switch off varnish or assist me in order to do so, I am now looking for a new hosting service.

I welcome the forums suggestions on hosting with prestashop, but please tell me why you consider a particular hosting service is recommended for use? I'm using 1.5.6.2.

Thanks to all for your help on this issue

After a 'total fail' by my current hosting provider Gandi.net to switch off varnish or assist me in order to do so, I am now looking for a new hosting service.

I welcome the forums suggestions on hosting with prestashop, but please tell me why you consider a particular hosting service is recommended for use? I'm using 1.5.6.2.

Thanks to all for your help on this issue

see DH42 on cloud, I tried it and liked it.

http://blog.dh42.com/prestashop-cloud/

• 2 weeks later...