transfer Prestashop with a custom theme to home dev server FAIL

I have a working shop on a Cent OS 5.10 machine and it all works great. I backed up the database and shop files and installed them on my home dev server which also is running Cent OS 5.10 but is only i386 version but nothing is working correctly at all. My FO home page loads with no css, everything is text lining up on the left, links go to 404 page not found, BO will not allow me to save any changes, clicking "Save" does nothing, does not even reload page. I have double and triple checked permissions, changed owner to apache with recursive permissions, reinstalled three times. I have run out of ideas. Does anyone have a suggestion I can try. It simply doesn't make sense. I even set up a out of the box Prestashop in the same root directory /var/www/html and it works perfectly. I need someone with more experience to help me debug this please. I installed Firebug with hopes it would shed light on things but the CSS tab shows no css files at all but the shop directory has the files in it. Please help?

sometimes when we develop on localhost and then move to new server, the new server  may not be configured to support ps.

I suggest using a vanilla native prestashop and do an install on new server, ps will then verify as best it can that new server has proper support.  If not it will tell you and you can then resolve before moving pre-built shop.

Thank you Maskca, though I can navigate the BO I cannot "save" any selections I make. example, if I go to advanced parameters/performance/, I can select the radio to not cache-select save, nothing happens, there is no response from the machine or software at all. I do appreciate your input.

El Patron, I think that is the most frustrating thing about this issue. I am a sys admin and set up the servers for the Prestashop to begin with. We have always been an IIS foundation company, we don't do hosting but we do our own servers for the company, I am a ColdFusion programmer actually but cross trained to a little of everything. After a decision to switch to Prestashop was made, I set up two CentOS machines, the MySQL, apache, the whole deal but contracted the first site out to a marketing company. And though I was never a canned shop kind of guy, I do think template based shops are a good thing and Prestashop along with eMagicOne will result in a far quicker deployment of multiple sites. But I digress, I had an older Dell that came with XP at home so I installed CentOS 5.10 on it like I did here at work and everything went smooth, work machines are 64 bit and my older machine is i386 but I installed the correct software. I copied all the files, installed them, actually mirroring everything I have at work but have had no success. Sorry for the long winded explanation. I do appreciate any and all tips, I am stumped!

you have my tip...which was simply making sure using normal installation that the target server has the proper resources for prestashop.  that's pretty simple to do and eliminates a lot of 'guessing' of why a copied shop to target server that may not have ever run a ps installation.  Sorry for the short winded response but as we tend to repeat the same things over and over again we tend whittle down suggestions.

Thank Bill, That is what I am going to look at this weekend, everything that has anything to do with mod_rewrite and .htaccess. I think it is possible that I have overlooked something as El Patron has mentioned. And with that, I should also say I did do a out of the box, or off the web actually, install of the generic PS shop on the machine to begin with which works perfectly fine, no errors or issues at all. El, you sound as though I may have offended your better sense, if so I apologize, I'm sure you get asked the same questions over and over again and I did do a little searching for that prior to posting my question. But hey, I appreciate everyone that has taken a second to reply, you all have a nice community that really supports one another, that's pretty cool, too bad the whole world doesn't work that way.

• Like 2