[Solved] No Keywords Field in Product > SEO?

deepee

I've been going through the many changes and issues on my 1.5.6 to 1.6.05 upgraded test site.

I tried editing an existing product and adding a new one but can't find the keywords field in the Product's SEO tab any more?

Anyone know what's happened to it?

Edited by deepee (see edit history)

as prestamax said, keywords are no longer used by google so Prestashop wisely took them off ;)

So when Google decides that they want to start using them again Presta users won't have the option to input product meta tags. Why take it out? Why not just leave the option in and let us decide if we want to input anything into that field. 

Stupid. 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that google won't go back to keyword tags. The reason google is ignoring keyword tags is because keyword tags have been misused quite too often. You should be glad that there is no option for keyword tags. It saves your time and protects you from being punished by google for keyword stuffing.

I am pretty sure that google won't go back to keyword tags. The reason google is ignoring keyword tags is because keyword tags have been misused quite too often. You should be glad that there is no option for keyword tags. It saves your time and protects you from being punished by google for keyword stuffing.

it is possible to be punished by google if our sites (older versions prestashop) still contains meta keywords? Sorry if it's a silly question!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My friends,

Simply your Google ranking is based on bids (adwords e.c.t) and not on keywords. You pay, you are listed.

That is my opinion and i pay even 1.8 euro pre click for the first page. So marketing is over programming...:))

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No, you don't get punished for meta keywords just for keyword stuffing.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66358?hl=en

can I ask, if google does not read keywords, why this field is left in the category backpage?

So when Google decides that they want to start using them again Presta users won't have the option to input product meta tags. Why take it out? Why not just leave the option in and let us decide if we want to input anything into that field.

how to implement this option?

with best wishes and good luck to you.

Hello, If you would still like to add meta keywords, I found this great script: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/185401-free-script-product-mass-edit-category-multi-edit-order-edit/

With it, there is an option to edit and add meta keywords. When you 'view source' you will see your keywords have been added  :)

I am happy with this, because I feel I would rather (and could be better) to have keywords added then nothing at all as it is still unsure whether keywords are useful and/or necessary for other search engines. I still cannot wrap my head around not adding keywords and will be doing some research as to what is best option and how your products/pages can be found without keywords? Again, I am very happy I have found way to add keywords if is your preference.

Edited by Ava M. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, If you would still like to add meta keywords, I found this great script: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/185401-free-script-product-mass-edit-category-multi-edit-order-edit/

With it, there is an option to edit and add meta keywords. When you 'view source' you will see your keywords have been added  :)

I am happy with this, because I feel I would rather (and could be better) to have keywords added then nothing at all as it is still unsure whether keywords are useful and/or necessary for other search engines. I still cannot wrap my head around not adding keywords and will be doing some research as to what is best option and how your products/pages can be found without keywords? Again, I am very happy I have found way to add keywords if is your preference.

thank you very much!

Figured all you need to do in 1.6.0.8 (at least), is to remove 'hide' class from following block in admin/themes/default/template/controllers/products/seo.tpl

{* Removed for simplicity *}
<div class="form-group hide">
<label class="control-label col-lg-3" for="meta_keywords_{$id_lang}">
{include file="controllers/products/multishop/checkbox.tpl" field="meta_keywords" type="default" multilang="true"}
<span class="label-tooltip" data-toggle="tooltip"
title="{l s='Keywords for search engines, separated by commas.'}">
{l s='Meta keywords'}
</span>
</label>
<div class="col-lg-8">
{include file="controllers/products/input_text_lang.tpl" languages=$languages
input_value=$product->meta_keywords
input_name='meta_keywords'}
</div>
</div>

It appears that meta keywords functionality still present in code, it is simply hidden in layout.

I didnot thoroughly test the changes, although everything seem to work just fine. Use it on your own risk

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

as prestamax said, keywords are no longer used by google so Prestashop wisely took them off ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but PrestasShop also used this field for searches within the site. 

I see the "meta keywords" field is still available in the CSV import.  Is it still used for site searching?  I don't see it recorded anywhere in the database.

• Like 1