Categories Gone!? ASAP help!

okay - so i had four 'categories'

LED

HID

Accessories

Parts

in LED i had several (like 11) sub cats. one of which was empty - so i went to "remove it"

Now THING shows up in my admin area under Categories except HOME - until i click on HOME. then HID Accesssories and Parts show up. LED is GONE. I do see it in the DB.

In reading some info on this issue i saw somewhere someone said, "reset the site" i have no idea what that means or where to find it.

a) how did my cats show up under HOME

B) how do i get my info back bc there were already products added to that LED category

c) how come when i add a new category it doesn't show up in the list - only under HOME

d) i'm willing to give someone login info (moderator) to look around. INCLUDING db access. 

I HAVE TO HAVE THIS FIXED by tomorrow morning to show my boss. everything was PERFECT i just wanted to get rid of that one empty category......... wth?!?! now i'm gonna be up all night!!!

PLEASE PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE HELP!!!

hello, hemjesti

This is a critical issue. Without watch change on database it is difficult to solve. If you send me your access on PM i try to help you to solve the issue.

What i understand that when you disable the category it's patent may be changed or some other filed changed.

based on the feedback from Smart up there - i looked at the DB and was able to modify the Parent Cat ID which SOMEHOW was modified.

in messing with these ID's i managed to get the category to show back up in the category directory. not category > view - however - it wasn't behaving correctly. perhaps i wasn't waiting long enough for the db to sync - i don't know. but i managed to get the LED lights category to show back up - with all the sub categories aaaaaaand all the products.

so, that being said, i still have no clue how the hell simply disabling a category found me here but i have it functional and thats all that matters. For now....

my end goal will be to reinstall Prestashop, reconfigure it so that it's all working CORRECTLY but for now - i'm just gonna roll with it.

thanks Smart for your insight. it was obviously a great help.

Part of the problem may be in the nleft and nright fields in the database. These define the position of the categories in the "tree" of categories.

My advice would be to add a category. That forces a recalculation of those fields. You can then delete it again.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the manual upgrade from 1.5.6 to 1.6.05 or whatever it is.  After which I had no categories on my home page and none listed in the admin.  However it tells me which is the most popular category of the month and my average number of products per category.  I can see the category info in the database via phpmyadmin.  But my store home page has a categories block header with nothing under it.  WTH??

I'm wondering if there are some folder permissions messed up??  

I sure wish that auto update module would work so I didn't have to go through all these problems every time I have an upgrade.