Worth the time and effort?

Nick20000

I have been working on my website for 3 months and i feel burnt out with it. I have tried lots of things to get visitors, facebook, twitter, blog commenting, forums, directories, youtube, social bookmarking websites, but nothing really helps to get even someone to sign up. I have created a facebook and twitter account but how do you get any one to follow you from a fresh account of 0 followers? I have no clue of how to really use those places. I almost feel angry with myself and feel like giving it up. Where is the free advertising vouchers with google and facebook that i keep hearing about?

Anything else that can be done to help?

thank you.

Edited by Nick20000 (see edit history)

advertising makes your sales go round. 

start to advertise your website, and social network profiles.

Share url to your social network profiles for your friends on facebook, google+ etc.

Create simple contest on your facebook page (for example like us, write an answer to our question (you have to post it on timeline) and get 10% coupon code)

there are a lot of other possibilities to start building own social network community.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any consolation, I've worked on mine for 6 months,,,,thousands of hours and it is still not open. Philosophically, will a store ever be finished or is it the never ending masterpiece that you constantly perfect? I can relate to the burned out feeling and when that happens, I take a step back until my Prestashop enthusiasm returns. Everyone needs a break. Even profession boxers take breaks between rounds. 

On your store, have you considered adding the ability to accept credit/debit cards along with PayPal and allowing guests to checkout?

• Like 1

Hi, what about using the paypal express option, as the checkout process seemed very long, perhaps the use of a one page checkout module may help and as pets11 says guest checkout. Are you suffering from cart abandonment ? if so I would put it down to the amount of clicks from adding it to the basket to checking out.

I suppose the other problem your going to have is basically you are going head to head with the big boys, i.e. Forza motorsport 5 is £43.99 on you site, Amazon it's £38.55, just one random example.

Hi, what about using the paypal express option, as the checkout process seemed very long, perhaps the use of a one page checkout module may help and as pets11 says guest checkout. Are you suffering from cart abandonment ? if so I would put it down to the amount of clicks from adding it to the basket to checking out.

I suppose the other problem your going to have is basically you are going head to head with the big boys, i.e. Forza motorsport 5 is £43.99 on you site, Amazon it's £38.55, just one random example.

i think we are pretty good with the prices, no one is going to better amazon. i have seen this game go for £55 now lowered to £42.85 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORZA-MOTORSPORT-5-XBOX-ONE-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-OFFICIAL-PAL-/171178616614?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item27db0a6726 on ebay and it is still selling. Also, guest checkout takes longer then it would to make an account. i don't see it being any better. what is the point in anyone trying if you think that paying £43.99 with free delivery is a problem. Game.co.uk before last week were selling it for £44.99. Once an account is made there is not many clicks to checkout. Are people too lazy to sign up? i think not.

thank you.

Put this into google and leave the quote marks in place brings back

"About 54,200 results"

"Anything and everything is a weapon in Dead Rising 3 where you’ll explore, scavenge and fight to survive in a massive open world overrun with zombies."

One example

About 36,700 results

"Zumba Fitness World Party is the latest release in the best-selling video game franchise that has sold more than nine million units worldwide"

For google to take any notice of your site, you need original content, the above results would show that the sites like Amazon - Ebay - Tesco etc are ranked highly due to the popularity and page rank weight with google, where as your site falls into the nothing new or original here bracket with google, try some original content see if that helps.

Put this into google and leave the quote marks in place brings back

"About 54,200 results"

"Anything and everything is a weapon in Dead Rising 3 where you’ll explore, scavenge and fight to survive in a massive open world overrun with zombies."

One example

About 36,700 results

"Zumba Fitness World Party is the latest release in the best-selling video game franchise that has sold more than nine million units worldwide"

For google to take any notice of your site, you need original content, the above results would show that the sites like Amazon - Ebay - Tesco etc are ranked highly due to the popularity and page rank weight with google, where as your site falls into the nothing new or original here bracket with google, try some original content see if that helps.

What you are saying does not make much sense as all these websites shear the same content and descriptions and they still rank very well. I am going by what the item descriptions are on the back and title. Even eBay sellers have the same descriptions and are ranking well and selling loads. Backlinks play a major role in ranking your website, also. But building links is not easy and takes time, a lot of time. And if you didn't know the ranking is not everything if people know the website already, like adwords and social media, friends and family, but this also take a long time. Advertising is more important then ranking in my opinion.

I am already receiving traffic, 300 to 500 visits a day.

put this in google detective harrigan 2014 and see my ranking for the dvd.

thank you.

one mistake many make is using gTLD's (.com/.co/.net) etc....also note, gTLD's seo takes into consideration your hosting IP...age of URL is also important, now long url has been active.

as for amazon etc, they will crawl your shop to see your prices for competitiveness, you can see this in your hosting access, the best way to stop them is to block their IP address, this takes some work but some customers have found more success doing this.

take a look at using ccTLD's, i.e. domains that target your country and/or countries you do business in, for example if you sell in Italy then use .it.  This gives you better seo by country rather than competing with gTLD's across the globe

you can eaisly (using ps 1.5+ multishop) multiplex single site content by country...

knowing how much work it takes to build a quality shop it can be frustrating especially

another little trick for keywords, is to build a (disabled google adwords campaign)...google will then hint to better keywords (for more money), then you  can use those keywords in your products, thank you google. :)

I don't know how much any of what I write will help initially, but chin up and keep up the good fight...all good things take a lot of work...

and if this particular product does not work out for you...or because you have gained valuable experience, find  other products that interest you and sell them....