Issues that I see with Prestashop 1.6

Dh42

Let me start this off by saying great work so far on 1.6. I do see a few issues with it I would like to point out. I would like 1.6 not to be a good release, but a great release. 

Here are some problems that I am seeing with 1.6

Menu Issues

The new menu is great and everything, I really like the thumbnail feature, but at the same time it is horribly written. The first issue with it is that to load the category thumbnail images the menu just browses the directory. This is not really scalable to a shop that has 100 or even 1000 categories with thumbnail images. Check the screenshot below for a view of the code. 

http://screencast.com/t/PJbuXhL9Wdog

The image information needs to be stored in the database and accessed by top level menu items to reduce code overhead. 

The second issue with the new menu is that it does not follow proper html syntax. Any time an image is present, a height and width need to be present as well. I realize that it is un-reliable to let people specify image sizes, so I really suggest adding  the php getImageSize in the loop to automatically add the image size based on the image that is being loaded. 

htaccess Generation

Another Issue that I am seeing with 1.6 is that during htaccess generation the et tags need to be unset from the headers. This is a simple fix that reflects well in the Yslow tests. 

Responsive Slider

One thing that I would argue is done incorrectly two is the responsiveness of the slider. The way it currently works it uses media queries to deliver the images scaled by the view port. While this is standard, it is standard because it is easy, not because it is the best practice. There are two ways that this can be changed. First thing that the slider needs is to use the default image system to scale the images that are uploaded into smaller sizes. Next either the image that is displayed needs to use javascript to figure out which image to display by resolution or with less support, the media query needs to decide which image to load by resolution. With having a responsive site that loads on mobile devices, it slows things down if you are loading an image that is in reality 5 times wider than the view port and just scaling it. 

Image Issues

The last issue is images. The images that ship with the default theme are just too big. Installing the default theme and enabling caching and ccc returns these results.

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/neat42.com/DRUh1fd0

That is over 2mb in page size. Things do not have to be this way, I promise. I ran the images in the default theme through kraken.io and reduced them. (I didn't reduce the product images which should reflect what Prestashop should natively generate, just slider and theme images) 

Notice the page size now.

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/neat42.com/vzB2UNsL

The page is under 1mb now, that is a 50% reduction in size. ( Also I added some of the fixes I mentioned about like unsetting the et tags, adding image size on the top menu thumbnails.)

Pagespeed and Yslow

Look at that score increase. About a quarter of my business comes from optimizing Prestashop stores, because it affects conversions and Google ranks. It would really make me happy for Prestashop to be able to advertise that the default theme scores an A in both pagespeed and Yslow. I think it would go far in the marketing of Prestashop. 

JS Issues and Font Issue

A couple last things that I am noticing that should not be. There is some kind of new loop for js files that I haven't looked into completely, but in my opinion it is done wrong. The facebook connect loading in the footer needs to be asynchronous and could even utilize a document state to push it's loading time back so that it is not loaded during the initial page load.

Also ga.js is being loaded without the GA module being installed. (twice for that matter)

Opensans is being loaded twice it only needs to be loaded once.

Front Controller Issue

The last one that has long since been a bane of mine is how the front controller loads the logo. This needs to be changed so that when caching is turned on, the logo loads without the image time. Using the query string slows down the loading of the logo by not using a cached resource. 

• Like 2

My last forge ticket which I consider a blocker for large shops hasn't been updated in a week. http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFV-11619  Sometimes I think issues need exposure to get fixed, instead of getting buried in the forge. At the same time I thought about making pull requests on the git as well, but some of the issues are debatable. Meaning what I see wrong, not everyone will agree with it. They are not generally as cut and dry as a bug is. 

Hey Les,

Lucas saw your post and I know that you know how much he is thankful for your dedication. He and the Product Team are attending a seminar this week, so you might not get a quick response to that long report. Just know that your posts and forge tickets are always considered and acted upon.

It kinda feels like we are getting millions of them these days with the 1.6 Beta and all, but hey, we asked for it didn't we? ;)

Again, thanks for another great report!!

Another issue that I am seeing that is going to crop up is with the csv import. The image legend has been added back, but I image the csv import has no support for it. I propose turning the image column in the csv import into a multiple value field like this.

imageurl.jpg;legend;image2url.jpg;legend .... ect

While we are on the topic, I think some thought needs to go into languages as well. I think it will be too big of a change to make for 1.6, but there does need to be a way to import multiple languages into Prestashop using csv files. 

My last forge ticket which I consider a blocker for large shops hasn't been updated in a week. http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFV-11619  Sometimes I think issues need exposure to get fixed, instead of getting buried in the forge. At the same time I thought about making pull requests on the git as well, but some of the issues are debatable. Meaning what I see wrong, not everyone will agree with it. They are not generally as cut and dry as a bug is. 

Strange, i have personally submitted over 20 bugs for 1.6 beta on the forge, and most of them are fixed within 2-3 days.

Edit:

I saw that your bug is for 1.5.x, see if happens in 1.6.x and post it again, i think they are more focused on 1.6 now i guess

Edited by Dreamtheme (see edit history)

One of the other things that I have pushed for a module in the backend to add to the css of the site. Basically a text box in the backend that uses the header hook, so you can add custom css to a site and when you upgrade the theme it does not erase your changes. If you use the header hook, the css will be loaded after all of the css files making the changes the ones that are visible. 

• Like 1