Its seems that PrestaShop will be only 2 columns from now.

not true ... the three column option is a bit hidden, but if you know where to look it is a perfect solution.

First you need to go to your theme and click on edit.

Here you can activate the left and the right column for every single page you want to

2014-02-04_1816.png
Then you will have to look that modules are hooked to the left and right columns and that there is no exception set in the module section (most modules have an exception for index and product). You can remove this in the module section. It's the best prestashop theme I have ever seen ...

not true ... the three column option is a bit hidden, but if you know where to look it is a perfect solution.

First you need to go to your theme and click on edit.

Here you can activate the left and the right column for every single page you want to

2014-02-04_1816.png

Then you will have to look that modules are hooked to the left and right columns and that there is no exception set in the module section (most modules have an exception for index and product). You can remove this in the module section. It's the best prestashop theme I have ever seen ...

You did not read the bug report. All those that you suggest settings are done. The problem is that when left and right columns are displayed, the layout is broken.

And the official PS replay to the bug was "This template does not handle 3 columns layout."

So the conclusion is that PS 1.6 will not support 3 columns layout with the default theme.

Yes, three columns layout still needs some tweaking and the theme seems to be optimized for 1-column layout on product page. Personally I prefer 2-column layout for the product page. But with a bit of css 3 columns layout can be done and I am sure there will be still some development. But the basis of the theme is just great. It gives so many opportunities and most won't stick with the default theme anyway and will do some own changes.

If you have a 3-solumn layout for the product page you will have only small place left for the product itself. If this was meant to be the default layout you would have to make the left and right columns smaller. Personally I prefer a wider left or right columns and would stick to one sidebar only. But as always ... you can't please everybody and it's a matter of personal choice.

Edited by prestamax (see edit history)

Yes, three columns layout still needs some tweaking and the theme seems to be optimized for 1-column layout on product page. Personally I prefer 2-column layout for the product page. But with a bit of css 3 columns layout can be done and I am sure there will be still some development. But the basis of the theme is just great. It gives so many opportunities and most won't stick with the default theme anyway and will do some own changes.

Everything you say is true, however the topic is about PS 1.6 beta and i want to be clear with what we start with, and i definitely prefer answer why 3 columns is officially abandoned. The bigger part of live PS shops use default theme :)

• Like 1

The default front-office theme is a one column theme. In the back-office, you can activate one or two other columns. 

On some pages, it looks good with 3 columns. On other pages, a three column layout doesn't look so good. On a couple of pages, it even looks quite bad and the best choice on these pages would probably be a one or two column layout.

The default front-office theme is a one column theme. In the back-office, you can activate one or two other columns. 

On some pages, it looks good with 3 columns. On other pages, a three column layout doesn't look so good. On a couple of pages, it even looks quite bad and the best choice on these pages would probably be a one or two column layout.

Xavier, i agree with you, however choice should be left to the user's after all, and if 3 columns is not supported, it should be made in such way that it is impossible to enable 3 columns. Anyway i saw that the bug is reopened by devs.

Xavier, i agree with you, however choice should be left to the user's after all, and if 3 columns is not supported, it should be made in such way that it is impossible to enable 3 columns. Anyway i saw that the bug is reopened by devs.

I don't think it should be completely disabled. You are a theme developer? This is the unique opportunity for you to develop themes for three columns layout. Why should you want to disable the option for users to create their own three column layout?

• Like 1

I don't think it should be completely disabled. You are a theme developer? This is the unique opportunity for you to develop themes for three columns layout. Why should you want to disable the option for users to create their own three column layout?

You misunderstand me, i don't want to disable option to be created 3 columns layout, i want to disable "enabling" 3rd column on a 2 column theme. Of course you should be able to create 3 columns theme, i just mean if the theme is 2 columns, the user should not be able to enable 3rd column in admin options and thus brake the layout.

• Like 1

I have to agree 100% with Prestamax here.

This default theme is going to be used by thousands of developers as a base for customized 3 columns themes that are going to look very very nice.

the user should not be able to enable 3rd column in admin options and thus brake the layout.

If the user has the skills to make the layout look nice with a third column, why would we stop him?

Xavier that's what i basically said, its seems my English is bad :), but i can't explain it better. I hope PS devs know what i mean :)

Basically it should be the way PrestaShop was up to 1.6, with 1.6 default theme at this point is not 3 column compatible so you can't use it as a base for a 3 column theme, but you are able to enable the 3rd column, so its not compatible but possible enable even if its not compatible. I hope to understand :)

Edited by Dreamtheme (see edit history)