Images missing from /img/p/ but display in FO

During manual upgrade to v.1.4.4.1

I copied the /img/ directory and all unique files over and upgraded successfully.  

For over a year now, site has been live without any indication that we are missing any images in the FO.

Now that I'm ready to upgrade to v1.5+ and making necessary preparations, I noticed a lot of product images are missing from directory /img/p/.  The missing images, are from a previous version 1.3.

The product images are displayed correctly in the FO and when I inspect element path I'm shown: domain.com/img/p/1000-3040-home/image-name.jpg

As far as I'm aware, the only area where product images are stored would be the directory /img/p/.

I inspected directory /img/p/ and ALL subdirectories (/img/p/1/2/..), to no prevail.  Also, I've cleared my cookies, cache and used multiple computers to access the site and all of them display correctly.

If images are not located within /img/p/ directory, is it possible they reside in memory or cache?

How are images able to display in FO without existing in /img/p/ ?

Legacy Filesystem files images using subdirectories such as /img/p/1/2/ect..

As I've stated,

I'm missing the product images that belonged to previous install of 1.3... The product images display in FO, but are not on server. This is an anomaly, makes no logical sense to me.. Unless, the images are residing in memory or prestashop cache?

If images are not located within /img/p/ directory, is it possible they reside in memory, cache or somewhere else other than /img/p/ ?