Should I wait for the Prestashop 1.6 release for a new custom theme?

TrannyBob

Hello,

as the release of Prestashop 1.6 takes longer than announced I have the following question.

I know that a Prestashop 1.5 theme can be upgraded without a problem to the 1.6 version. 

But as I want the best result possible, would you wait for the release of Prestashop 1.6 to let my developer create the theme or would you already start now, as my deadline to launch my shop is March / April? 

Basically it only depends if a theme build on Prestashop 1.5 takes advantage of the new improved front end of Prestashop 1.6. Is this the case?

What would you do in my case, if you want the best result possible?

Hello,

I recommend you to wait until the final release of PrestaShop 1.6, it would be easier to maintain and upgrade on further releases.

If you feel you can't wait ,you could start with the latest stable version, but this implies more work. When the time will come to upgrade, your developer will have to spend time making the theme compatible with some of the new features and functionality and this may turn out to be not that easy.

I'm also in the same situation wanting to upgrade my site from 1.4.7.0 to 1.6 with a nice new responsive theme and back office.

Not sure when 1.6 will be released, even when it is released as 'stable' i'm sure there will be a lot of problems to iron out.  So it is risky going to a brand new version.

Wait for 1.6 or play it safe with 1.5.6.1, that is the question! :rolleyes:

Not sure when 1.6 will be released, even when it is released as 'stable' i'm sure there will be a lot of problems to iron out.  

Not true ;)

PrestaShop 1.6 is a major new version indeed, but for the first time in PrestaShop history, the core wasn't changed. Plus, the Community is doing a lot of testing and bug reports on the Alpha version, and will probably do even more of that on the upcoming Beta version (in a few days). With all this testing on a software built on a stable core (the one of 1.5.6.1), it's going to be the most stable first release we've ever done!

• Like 2

Not true ;)

PrestaShop 1.6 is a major new version indeed, but for the first time in PrestaShop history, the core wasn't changed.

I guess you mean it wasn't changed very much yet, Xavier. ;)

You may compare classes or category files of 1.5.6.1 and 1.6.0.2 and you will find not just few differences. I don't know, maybe that's but cosmetic repair or bug fixing.

But can we be really sure of this?

OK, so I will wait to give my developer the task to build my shop until he can do it for 1.6. :)

It is may possible that he is already able to start working to build my theme with the Beta release, as I really don't want to miss my deadline in March / April? (My developer needs about 30 days)

By the way here is a hint for everybody who also can't wait any longer... :)

PrestaShop v1.6.0.1 - Released on November 19, 2013

PrestaShop v1.6.0.2 - Released on December 19, 2013

so... 

PrestaShop v1.6.0.3 (90% may releases on january 19, 2014)

and 

PrestaShop 1.6 Final (100% may releases on february 19, 2014)

Of course this is just speculation, but we will see.. :)

Edited by TrannyBob (see edit history)

so... 

and 

Hahaha, you're awesome for noticing such things, but sorry, this is not how we planned our releases :')

The final release date will depend on the community test & feedback during the Beta, and we will not force ourselves to release it on a 19th ;)

• Like 1

OK, so I will wait to give my developer the task to build my shop until he can do it for 1.6. :)

It is may possible that he is already able to start working to build my theme with the Beta release, as I really don't want to miss my deadline in March / April? (My developer needs about 30 days)

so... 

and 

You better wait for 1.6.x. However i think that 1.6 will be out pretty soon, and you will be ready within your deadline.

Not true ;)

PrestaShop 1.6 is a major new version indeed, but for the first time in PrestaShop history, the core wasn't changed. Plus, the Community is doing a lot of testing and bug reports on the Alpha version, and will probably do even more of that on the upcoming Beta version (in a few days). With all this testing on a software built on a stable core (the one of 1.5.6.1), it's going to be the most stable first release we've ever done!

Sounds promising! I will probably hold out until 1.6 then.

Not true ;)

Nice that you are so sure...But will it round correctly at last?!?!? If rounding issue isn't solved in 1.5 and of course 1.6, PS realise is just peace of...just my 2 cents

Why I should use PS, if it can't do one simple thing - do math and rounding correctly

Why I should use PS, if it can't do one simple thing - do math and rounding correctly

Yes, i sent him a message. Thank you.

But I still can't understand, why in almost a year this can't be solved by prestateam?

Maybe because rounding & taxes around the world are all but "one simple thing"? This has huge impact on the solution and cannot be taken lightly. We are well aware of the situation but couldn't make those core changes in 1.6.0 as we wouldn't have the time to test it thoroughly.

In the meantime, PrestaShop is open-source and some (awesome) developers published modules that fixe these issue for specific countries.

@Lucas Cerdan

That's a pity and I really regret to read this. I'm well aware that this is but a simple thing - but you should know that this statement of yours looks like a confession of failure because I guess you will agree that for online shop systems correct computing prices and taxes is a crucial issue. And btw the complaints about  wrong computation methods are legion in the French, English or e.g. German forum - and in parts much older than one year. Month ago I send FM a collection of those threads.

Nobody really needs a shop system that doesn't act up - mindless of the fact that I love Prestashop because this is a great improvement in shop software development! But the devils always in the details. You may disagree, but in my view correct computing is much more important than pimping up the backend or focussing on development of still deficient modules like e.g. gamification.

@Tomin

As a workaround you may use my self computing invoice here: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/244719-tutorial-rechnungsformular-%C3%A4ndern-f%C3%BCr-version-15x/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1514484

Edited by eleazar (see edit history)

@eleazar

All I'm saying is that we are aware of these issues and already planned to fix them. However, we cannot make these changes quickly since PrestaShop is used all around the world and we cannot make one patch after another.

Taxes & rounding represent lot of research, documentation, planning, development and last but not the least, tests. Rest assured that we take the subject very seriously and is of course one of our main priority.

We are well aware of the situation but couldn't make those core changes in 1.6.0 as we wouldn't have the time to test it thoroughly.

Taxes & rounding represent lot of research, documentation, planning, development and last but not the least, tests. Rest assured that we take the subject very seriously and is of course one of our main priority.

Lucas, I understand the current focus is on 1.6, but given the fundamental importance of getting calculations right (well said, Eleazar) and the priority you place on it, why not target 1.6.1 as the release where you focus on getting all these issues resolved?

As you've been keen to stress previously, 1.6 is going to be very stable, so there won't be many bug fixes that would have to wait until 1.6.2.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

Lucas, I understand the current focus is on 1.6, but given the fundamental importance of getting calculations right (well said, Eleazar) and the priority you place on it, why not target 1.6.1 as the release where you focus on getting all these issues resolved?

As you've been keen to stress previously, 1.6 is going to be very stable, so there won't be many bug fixes that would have to wait until 1.6.2.

Cheers, Dave

I never said that this won't be in 1.6.1 :)

I cannot communicate right now on our roadmap, versionning, etc... but, as I said, those issues on tax & rounding ARE a priority.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...