1.1.0.8 --> 1.2 --> 1.2.1 --> 1.2.2 --> 1.2.3 -->1.2.4

What a ride: 1.1.0.8 --> 1.2 --> 1.2.1 --> 1.2.2 --> 1.2.3 -->1.2.4

While I certainly appreciate the fixes, this is getting ridiculous.

How many times am I going to have to update my shop this month?!?

Please, no more "releases" until it's stable.

Sorry for the rant.

Would both offering a patch for people who have 1.2.2 or .3 already installed, PLUS updating the full install be that much work?

Even if the DB needs to be updated, give the SQLs, and a list of the source code files that need to be replaced.

This is something I would pay for! Sell a 'Patch Upgrade' in the prestastore. How about that?

Would both offering a patch for people who have 1.2.2 or .3 already installed, PLUS updating the full install be that much work?

You're dreaming 8-/ , remember: we asked for it many times for PS 1.1 but never had anything and no 1.1 without bugs. Now We can have PS 2.2 without bugs, the most clean as possible. So it's better than before....next time it will be better.

And don't forget it's FREE !

I truly mean this as constructive criticism: The published "upgrade" process:
http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Installing_And_Updating_PrestaShop_Software/#Update_PrestaShop
is certainly NOT an upgrade. It is a install from scratch, then re-appling or overwriting all the adjustments you've done.

My store isn't even very customized. I (almost) refuse to change anything other than the theme specific and mails files. But still, every upgrade is a minimum of 6 hours work. That's if it all goes smoothly. My biggest headaches have been related to the language translations (I run german/english), so if you're only running EN or FR ... maybe you're lucky enough not to feel this pain.

Here's my point, and my frustration:

The changes from 1.2.2 or 1.2.3 to the current version 1.2.4 must be possible by simply replacing a the hand full of files that have changed. And if a table has changed, that's not a big deal either - just tell us what SQL statements need to be executed as well?

The main reason I choose PrestaShop is because it appeard to do an excellent job seperating the business layers from the design/layout and content layers. I though this equaled quick, easy updates to the core functionality. Unfortunately (in my case at least) this is not turning out to be true.

I love the shop and the flexabiliy! But I'm not so excited about this 'upgrade' process.

My upgrades are from 1.2.2 >> 1.2.3 >> 1.2.4 Last upgrade to 1.2.4 took about 10 minutes.

I might not be doing it right but I backup my shop MySQL and Root Dir, download the new one upload it overwriting everything.

Go to Install choose upgrade.

Delete Install folder and rename Admin folder and it's done.

If things go wrong I re-upload the Root Dir and re install the old DB no problem there.

I would rather do this and be bug free than Do one big Upgrade later

Only these files had been modified between 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 (using windiff)

overwrite these files

.\admin\tabs\admincatalog.php
.\classes\customer.php
.\classes\image.php
.\classes\mysql.php
.\classes\product.php
.\config\config.inc.php

these you don't need to change (install folder erased)

.\changelog
.\install\index.php
.\install\model.php
.\install\img\langs\en\installer-version.gif
.\install\img\langs\en\updater-version.gif
.\install\img\langs\fr\installer-version.gif
.\install\img\langs\fr\updater-version.gif

open settings.inc.php
change
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.2.3.0');
to
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.2.4.0');

so about 6 files to overwrite, that's all ;-P

I think there is no SQL change between 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 (1.2.4.0.sql is empty)

Are you saying that for make an upgrade from 1.2.3 only I need to rewrite this files and all will work ok?
It's generate any issue if I have Prestashop 1.2.3 in different language than english/french?

sorry for my bad english.

Only these files had been modified between 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 (using windiff)

overwrite these files

.\admin\tabs\admincatalog.php
.\classes\customer.php
.\classes\image.php
.\classes\mysql.php
.\classes\product.php
.\config\config.inc.php

these you don't need to change (install folder erased)

.\changelog
.\install\index.php
.\install\model.php
.\install\img\langs\en\installer-version.gif
.\install\img\langs\en\updater-version.gif
.\install\img\langs\fr\installer-version.gif
.\install\img\langs\fr\updater-version.gif

so about 6 files to overwrite, that's all ;-P

I think there is no SQL change between 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 (1.2.4.0.sql is empty)

I made a zipfile with the changed files and some instructions for the config file changes (should be done manually so you don't overwrite any changes you may have made)

this is from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4
I will check if I can make similar packs for other versions, but there are some sql changes in those as well so there will be need to run some scripts on the db.

this way, you don't have to upload all the files, click throug a update process and then reupload all your images and stuff.

upgrade 1.2.3 to 1.2.zip

Don't know if this the right way about upgrades.
I use FTP to transfer only the install folder ( remember to backup database incase anything goes wrong ).
I then click on install folder.
Automatically it will detect your version and urge you to upgrade to the latest version. Carry out the instructions. It takes less than 5 mins. When you are done. It will tell you to delete the install folder and the version has been upgraded.
Everything remains as is, unless maybe you have done some modification on your own.
THats just the way I do upgrades, don't know if am missing some key elements.

I use FTP to transfer only the install folder ( remember to backup database incase anything goes wrong ).
I then click on install folder.
Automatically it will detect your version and urge you to upgrade to the latest version

This way you uptade database only but you don't change the modified files, this is the best way to have troubles.

I think you can say savely that the number of the version explains what is updated:

Lets say 1.2.4.0 is the version:

1: 1 stands voor the version of PS, this is version 1
2: 2 stands for the SQL/Database table layout/version
3: 4 stands for the file version

So when you curently run 1.2.3.0 and want to upgrade tot 1.2.4.0 then there is only a change in some of the php files according to post 9.

When there would be an upgrade from 1.2.3.0 to 1.3.0.0 this would mean that there is a database change but (maybe) no file change.

I hope that someone from the PrestaShop-Team can shine a light on this.

I think you can say savely that the number of the version explains what is updated:

Lets say 1.2.4.0 is the version:

1: 1 stands voor the version of PS, this is version 1
2: 2 stands for the SQL/Database table layout/version
3: 4 stands for the file version

So when you curently run 1.2.3.0 and want to upgrade tot 1.2.4.0 then there is only a change in some of the php files according to post 9.

When there would be an upgrade from 1.2.3.0 to 1.3.0.0 this would mean that there is a database change but (maybe) no file change.

I hope that someone from the PrestaShop-Team can shine a light on this.

It would really be fantastic if someone from PrestaShop could confirm or deny that PrestaShop indeed conforms to this versioning methodology. Please please please, it will save a ton of us tons of hours and headaches.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I update prestashop 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 version, folowing this instructions:

http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Installing_And_Updating_PrestaShop_Software/

All works, exepting product images. All product images is gone and replaced by default images. I copy backuped folder /img to 1.2.5 new install, recovered database, but it not helps.

Please, advice me how fix this problem

Do you have friendly URL enabled? If you do and you deleted or overwrote the htaccess file, you will need to put a blank htaccess file with 777 permissions in your prestashop root directory then go to Tools > Generators and regenerate your htaccess file.