[SOLVED] 500 internal server error when moving store to a different host

Hi!

I had a store that I needed to move to another host. I made sure I followed every step here shown on the forums to make it smooth.

After everything, my store shows a page with Internal server error and even though when I login on the backoffice, everything shows up fine, all the products and all the settings, the store doesn't show up. I even rebooted the .htaccess file, but still nothing.

I also modified the config/defines.inc.php as stated here on the forum so it could display the error, but nothing happens. All the page shows is:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I'm floating here, what can be the problem?

Edited by Ana Silva (see edit history)

tomerg3 I tried every combination of that:

with .htaccess with or without friendly urls and

no .htaccess with or without friendly urls

Doesn't work either way.  Besides, I noticed a warning near the friendly url radio buttons saying something like "URL-Rewriting (mod_rewrite) not active on your server". I googled around, but the answers were not clear enough, the "httpd.conf" file is nowhere to be seen. :( 

exactly as tomerg suggested, you should check apache error log. If you don't know where to find it, you should check root dir of your FTP, usually logs are located in simple .txt files named log.txt, error.txt etc. or in subdirectories /tmp/ /bin/ etc.

you can also check your webhosting control panel, many hosting providers allow to check logs there

*sigh* I'm so lost.

Nothing on ftp, no folder, no files, nothing. And on the host provider's control panel, no error logs to be seen. Running out of options here. I'll try asking my host provider, but I'm not seing a light at the end of the tunnel here. Feeling hopeless and disapointed.

And I don't even know what the error is because even with the config/defines.inc.php modified to show the error, nothing shows up.

stottycabanas: Thanks, I will do so in a couple of hours, when I get back to the person's computer. (I don't have the password with me now)

As I didn't stand with my arms crossed, I did some research and found these two pages:

http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/the-500-internal-server-error-explained-solved/

http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/content/13-fixing-error-500

Could it be that this is happening because of file permissions and/or server timeout?

And if it's the first problem, how can I set that automatically for all files and folders in filezilla? The're a lot of files and folders on a prestashop installation! lol

Ana, can you provide:

• the URL you used to access your store (i.e. the one that generates the error); and
  • a screenshot showing the sections 'Set up URLs' and 'Set shop URLs' in back office Preferences > SEO & URLs

Thanks, Dave

Ok, so the url is: (edited - no need for the link now)

And here's the screenshot: (it's in Portuguese, but I think you'll understand.)

capture.jpg

I'll be changing the folder and files permissions now. Let's see if it works. Hope so.

Ok. I'm starting to panic now. Permissions already changed in all files and folders and everything stayed the same.

EDIT:

OMG!!!! iT WORKED!!!! *throwing fireworks* :lol::D

All I did was follow these advises here: http://www.prestatraining.com/12-tips-to-optimise-your-php-ini-file-for-prestashop/

And after altering and adding all the changes mentioned (including the loading time limit), it started working! I'm so happy! :lol::D

But thanks for all your help, guys! You kept me going! :wub:

(now starting to search for possible errors and fails on other areas, you never know!)

SOLVED!

• Like 1

Good news Ana, glad you managed to sort it out. :)

A couple of minor things I noticed on your site: the 'Contact Us' link in the top horizontal menu need to be re-configured with the correct URL; and 'Best Sellers' in the footer needs translating.

Good luck with the site.

I'll think of you next week when I'll be enjoying some arroz de tamboril!

Good news Ana, glad you managed to sort it out. :)

A couple of minor things I noticed on your site: the 'Contact Us' link in the top horizontal menu need to be re-configured with the correct URL; and 'Best Sellers' in the footer needs translating.

Good luck with the site.

I'll think of you next week when I'll be enjoying some arroz de tamboril!

Oh, yeah, I know I have to doublecheck every content and finish the translation files, so everything runs smoothly. But thanks for the warning!

And enjoy your "arroz de tamboril". I'm not a very big fan of that. I Prefer salmon or shrimp. lol!

• 2 years later...

exactly as tomerg suggested, you should check apache error log. If you don't know where to find it, you should check root dir of your FTP, usually logs are located in simple .txt files named log.txt, error.txt etc. or in subdirectories /tmp/ /bin/ etc.

you can also check your webhosting control panel, many hosting providers allow to check logs there

Hello Vekia,

I tried investigating the error log in FTP as per your advice. I also turned on the developer mode and re-created the error and got this message:

>>>>

Warning:
require_once(/home/alternic/public_html/modules/avalaratax/sdk/classes/AvaCert2Svc/LeoFrameworkHelper.class.php):
failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/alternic/public_html/modules/avalaratax/sdk/AvaTax.php
on line 22

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required
'/home/alternic/public_html/modules/avalaratax/sdk/classes/AvaCert2Svc/LeoFrameworkHelper.class.php'
(include_path='/home/alternic/public_html/tools/htmlpurifier/standalone:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in
/home/alternic/public_html/modules/avalaratax/sdk/AvaTax.php on line 22
>>>>

This reminds me that I had an issue whereby my whole website was almost inaccessible intermittently and the hosting company told me that the error was due to a missing module called AvalaraTax.

I remember we were testing this module for our cross border shipping but it was not suitable. We then removed the module and the problem seem to start from there.

When we re-installed the module, the website was accessible as usual but the problem with the cart seems to be persistent and based on the error log, there is a missing file that causing the problem.

How do you suggest we rectify the problem? Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.