new VPS and fresh install of 1.5.5.0 fails on gamification

I jumped into a VPS and have been getting thru setup of the environment.  Finally was able to start a fresh 1.5.5.0 install but it fails on install modules addons:

Cannot install module "gamification"

​Not sure where to look to resolve this one.

Thanks in advance for help!

Vekia - I see this message on the install/index.php progress page

I'm new to VPS and unsure of where I find the php error log?

Is it a cPanel VPS? If so, usually there's a file named "error_log" at the root of your website.

Still assuming it's a cPanel VPS, you can turn on error logging by going to "WHM > PHP Configuration Editor > Advanced Mode > Error Handling and Logging".

You can also raise the reporting level of PHP by adding this code at the beginning of any PHP script:

<?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

?>

I jumped into a VPS and have been getting thru setup of the environment.  Finally was able to start a fresh 1.5.5.0 install but it fails on install modules addons:

Hello, how did you start the installation? Was it downloaded locally or installed from a service like simplescripts.

If it was downloaded locally, please let me know when you downloaded this package. Thank you

Look for a folder called "modules" and set its permissions to 777.

Still no luck guys!  I went in and changed the modules permissions to 777.
I changed the memory allocation from 32M to 64, 238, 256 and now at 512 - all no help.

I went thru Benjamin's post on php.ini tips and modified all of the suggested settings.

STILL failing on gamification  -  still not getting anything specific in the logs. 

Am I currently the only one fighting with this?  So far with my VPS I can tweak about anything - right down to recompiling the server, etc..

Grateful for the help!  I'll keep trying to figure it out...tho I'm running out of patience  :-/

Hello, how did you start the installation? Was it downloaded locally or installed from a service like simplescripts.

If it was downloaded locally, please let me know when you downloaded this package. Thank you

Benjamin - I downloaded 1.5.5 on 8/28  and then noted changes in the package 8/29 and downloaded again. My first attempt used 8/29. After reading your post I cleared everything and uploaded the 8/28 package.  I get the same results. Fails on install of "gamification".

If I can't get a shop up and ready by the weekend I have to bail on PS and the VPS. Just don't have the time right now to learn all there is to know about the PS code.  I was all ready to tell my IT networks about PS and have them jump in - I can't do that though if I can't get it going.

Hopefully something is discovered over the next day or so.Otherwise I may have to go use a hosted shop...and that would truly suck.

Benjamin - I downloaded 1.5.5 on 8/28  and then noted changes in the package 8/29 and downloaded again. My first attempt used 8/29. After reading your post I cleared everything and uploaded the 8/28 package.  I get the same results. Fails on install of "gamification".

If I can't get a shop up and ready by the weekend I have to bail on PS and the VPS. Just don't have the time right now to learn all there is to know about the PS code.  I was all ready to tell my IT networks about PS and have them jump in - I can't do that though if I can't get it going.

Hopefully something is discovered over the next day or so.Otherwise I may have to go use a hosted shop...and that would truly suck.

This is a strange issue. You checked your apache and php error logs? There should be a more detailed error somewhere. Also, I know that you tweaked your php.ini settings but are you sure that they actually reflected on the Servers configuration? Sometimes hosts will allow you to view the php.ini file and "edit" it but in reality you still need to contact them to enable or accept the changes. 

Also, I would download a fresh copy and try and install again with full permissions to folders and files recursively. Try it with Firefox and let me know if it persists.