Downloading remote site to work on it locally

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble downloading my site to work on it locally. When you download a site using FTP (Filezilla) does filezilla download the database?

I have been working on a site locally "presta101" (Thanks Nemo) and I could just copy the CSS files to my remote server but to me its just not good practice I think I should downloading the entire site with the database, working on the locally and then uploading the changes.

When I download the site I enter localhost/SITENAME into the browser and nothing happens apart from an error stating no DB connection ive tried change the settings file to get around this.

Am I thinking about it in the wrong way as in I should only be editing the theme files locally?

Any help on this would be great

Marty

Could someone explain to me what file directory I need to download my remote database to in order to run it parallel to my website locally?

Should I copy the admin folder from an existing local site over to the remote site download and then import the remote database?

Any help on this would be great as Im at a bit of a loss :wacko:

So I downloaded my remote site but when I try to run it locally I get this error

"Link to database cannot be established: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2000] mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file"

Any thoughts?

admin/advance parameter sql backup accept disclaimer download

and how to import it?

MartyW you have to export the database exactly as i show in the urls above.

have you got an access to the database manager like phpmyadmin? (on your host)

Hello,

Thanks for all the help so far. Using phpMyAdmin I created a blank database that would reflect the name of the remote database that I am trying to copy I then logged into the remote back office made a copy of the live database saved it to my computer and imported into the local blank database using phpMyAdmin.

I then went into my newly downloaded local site to here see image 1

Went into the settings.inc.php folder and changed the settings to direct it to the local database see image 2

Edited the settings to what is in image 3

I have tried -

define('_DB_SERVER_', 'localhost'); as define('_DB_SERVER_', '127.0.0.1');

Went to my browser and entered localhost/eggs pressed enter and my remote site launches???

I really cant see what I am doing wrong can anyone spot anything that I am missing?

I used FTP to download the remote site to the eggs folder

Thanks

Marty

post-636315-0-77196000-1375880637_thumb.jpg

post-636315-0-85044500-1375880644_thumb.jpg

post-636315-0-82261500-1375880657_thumb.jpg

post-636315-0-49405800-1375880928_thumb.jpg

Edited by MartyW (see edit history)

Hi Vekia, yes I am sure as I had a run in with "no privileges" and I had to change them and my username and passwords are the same locally and remotely, Im trying to keep it simple until I get my head round this.

I have noticed that my original installation contains an "admin" folder and my ftp remote site does not see images 5 & 6

Will this make a difference?

Ile try it anyway

Thanks

Marty

post-636315-0-87402200-1375881562_thumb.jpg

post-636315-0-56197200-1375881568_thumb.jpg

Hello,

When the local XAMPP server is switched off and I enter localhost/eggs my browser throws this error

"Link to database cannot be established: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

The when I switch the local XAMPP server on and enter localhost/eggs it redirects the page to the remote site?

I must be missing something in the settings can anyone think of what it might be?

Thanks

Marty

Edited by MartyW (see edit history)

now you have to change the ps_shop_url table in the database

change the fields

1. domain
  2. domains ssl
  3. base uri

values of these field must be related to the "localhost" shop

you can also change these values right in BO, preferences > seo & urls

every thing wll come up even products...

this is really simple ok.

step by step:

1.copy all local host prestashop files and create a folder thats ur site now there in config folder u need to delete setings.inc

2. download a fresh prestshop of ur version and copy the folder name install to root folder of ur site ( the folder u created)

3.upload it to server

and run install thats ur site url or directory of ur site thats it.

even :u can even do u import by editing sql file cahning shop url and hostname password etc manualy . will take time

step by step:

1. Create a root folder

2. Copy the locally hosted prestaShop files to the root folder

3. Delete the config > settings.inc (Entire file or just a few settings)?

4. Download a fresh prestaShop that matches your version

5. Name it after the original "root folder" in step 1

6. Upload it to the server

Im still a bit lost but Ile give it a a go can you please clarify if I am deleting the settings file? Or just a few settings within it?

Thanks

Marty

Could you please explain what settings in the file should be deleted?

<?php

define('_DB_SERVER_', 'localhost');

define('_DB_NAME_', 'presta101');

define('_DB_USER_', 'root');

define('_DB_PASSWD_', ' * ');

define('_DB_PREFIX_', 'ps_');

define('_MYSQL_ENGINE_', 'InnoDB');

define('_PS_CACHING_SYSTEM_', 'CacheMemcache');

define('_PS_CACHE_ENABLED_', '0');

define('_MEDIA_SERVER_1_', '');

define('_MEDIA_SERVER_2_', '');

define('_MEDIA_SERVER_3_', '');

define('_COOKIE_KEY_', 'H4YG7BL0eMVepJgzHCKaa2nwYOpbKG45DGv6qZ8qPEq1nRA7zpH89rUU');

define('_COOKIE_IV_', '2ReniA9T');

define('_PS_CREATION_DATE_', '2013-07-18');

define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.5.4.1');

define('_RIJNDAEL_KEY_', 'yR9prpxw0rxUiCMyNJI5OrH3JR8VpHZU');

define('_RIJNDAEL_IV_', 'QJfC0QwhSkig4GyZg31zLA==');

Thanks

Marty

Kept reinstalling until it worked and thankfully it does now after four local installs of PrestaShop and 4 database imports it finally worked :) thanks for all the help everyone I think the problem was the first few times I copied directly via FTP and there was no admin folder and in turn I could sync with the database

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Marty, 

I'm trying to get a local version of my remote site up and going for testing purposes before my site is open to the public.  I have been watching tutorials and reading posts from various places about this, but I haven't gotten it all to work yet.  

This thread is promising (you got it to work!), but I had trouble following what Jiten Rash was saying.  Do you think you could post what steps you did to get your remote files and databases running locally?  The guidance would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Helen