Top Search Box Input doesn't work in customized theme - please help!

I'm a complete Prestashop beginner (v. 1.5.4.1), and I've been doing pretty well on our shop up till now. Now I have an issue with the top search box - and unfortunately it's an important thing.

With Firefox 22.0 and Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m, I can't click into the "Search" field, and therefore, cannot search. (MSIE 10.0.7 works). If you look closely using Firefox or Chrome, you can see a line cursor, like for input a little bit above and to the right of the "search" field.

I don't think we had this issue before when the theme was first installed. I haven't changed anything, unless I made an error without knowing it.

This is our URL:

http://highend-elect...com/prestashop/

Could you please take a look and see if you can find the mistake and tell me how to fix it? I've been trying to find it out and fix it myself for a couple of weeks but couldn't. I've read every post I could find here on the Forums and none of the suggested fixes worked for me.

The person who I bought the theme from and who did the customization for us hasn't answered my e-mails on this issue. Maybe he's away or something.

I hope that someone here can help, because I can't find this out by myself, and if this issue can't be resolved I'll have to throw away the money I spent on the Theme and the money I paid for customizing it. :(

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Betty

This is a pretty simple fix :)

You have a z-index issue. Basically, your search box is currently layered_behind your menu. Simply up the z-index of your search feature in your CSS and all will be fixed.

I just did it using Firebug and was able to make the search work.

The above will solve your problem guaranteed.

Marty Shue

open file: /themes/elation-dark-liquid/css/modules/blocksearch/blocksearch.css

you've got there:

#search_block_top {position: absolute;right: 0;top:126px; z-index: 1000;}

z:index:1000; is not enough, you have to increase value of this param.

you have to use at least 100002 value.

Why? Your eb-nav (reated to the top menu) has got z-index value defined to 100001

eb-nav {
position: absolute;
z-index: 100001;
top: 124px;
left: 0;
width: 100%;
height: 50px;
}

SOLUTION

so, you have to use z-index:100002; in this code:

#search_block_top {position: absolute;right: 0;top:126px; z-index: 100002;}

file: /themes/elation-dark-liquid/css/modules/blocksearch/blocksearch.css

Thank you all ! I haven't been at my computer since yesterday so I didn't get to try it out yet, but I'm sure you all are right.

I was so intensely concentrating on PS because it's new to me that I didn't think of the z-index possibility at all. I do know what z-index is and how to use it, but my web knowledge stops at around the year 2000, since that's when I stopped working on websites and Perl/CGI. CSS was pretty new then and anything newer than that is new land to me. :wacko:

I really appreciate the quick help from all of you, and will let you know as soon as I've tried out the solution above.

Thanks again!

Betty