configuring USPS Carrier module

Why I could not find the "USPS CARRIER" module in the addons, but it comes in the new version of prestashop 1.5.4.1?

where I can find help to this module?

I only downloaded the new version of prestashop, from prestashop.com and I installed on my server (www.SITEGROUND.com), it comes with a new shipping and logistic module, and there is a new version of carrier "USPS CARRIER".

I have the user from usps web page.

When I try to finish the configuration, show up this problem:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prestashop could not connect to USPS webservices :

Error 80040b1a : Authorization failure. You are not authorized to connect to this server.

Connect to USPS Module Status

Connect to USPS is not configured yet. You must:

1) Fill in USPS User ID and orignation Zip Code in the "General Settings" form

2) Select you available delivery services

3) Webservice test connection : Error 80040b1a : Authorization failure. You are not authorized to connect to this server.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You got username ID, now you need to contact, READ EMAIL THEY SENT YOU.

USPS Internet Customer Care Center

E-mail: [email protected]

Telephone: 1-800-344-7779

To switch you account to working serveer, also request permissions for creating labels and tell them list of services you need. They do it very hard to make it work. I'm on day 3 module does NOT show up in cart as carrier. with ups it was 10 min.

Edited by asssets (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Got the process down. This was a pain and some of the USPS site developer instructions are actually incorrect and confusing. Providing this info, hope it helps others.

1. First, go to the USPS and register for a Webtools API. https://www.usps.com...is/welcome.htm? They will send you an email with all your account information. After your account is set up, it is on a testing server. You cannot connect through Prestashop module.

2. You must run tests first before they will move you to a production server. Here is where the issue is and where most people get stuck. The developer guides have XML code that didn't work or are outdated. After digging, finally found code that worked here https://www.usps.com...commitments.htm. Run a minimum of 2 tests. I ran 4 to be sure.
NOTE: For a couple of the codes provided you have to replace "SERVERNAME/PATH" with the correct path they sent you, usually, "production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPITest.dll" or "secure.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPI.dll". Of course, also use your USPS API Username instead of the xxxxxx where indicated.

Instructions on using the code found at the link above. You are running the XML Request. After editing appropriately, you will copy the entire code into the address bar of your Internet browser. The result should show exactly as indicated also on the link above. Copy the XML Request code to Notepad, edit as I indicated above, paste into address bar and Enter. The results must match the link here https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/service-standards-and-commitments.htm.

3. Then call them at 1-800-344-7779 (7:00AM to 11:00PM ET), with the registered email and Username, ask them to move the account to the live production server. They will be able to confirm that you have completed the required tests.

4. Your account information will now work in Prestashop.

Good luck

Daniel

Edited by Dougadanny (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hi asssets, see my edited post with instructions. The XML Request code for the test I mention is at the link https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/service-standards-and-commitments.htm. It is stand alone and is pasted directly into the address bar of your Internet browser to run the test. First edit as indicated with your API username and, if necessary, the path change. Go to the link and you will see what I am talking about for the XML Request.

Just copy to browser address bar

http://production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPITest.dll?API=PriorityMail&XML=<PriorityMailRequest USERID="xxxxxxx">
     <OriginZip>11101</OriginZip>
     <DestinationZip>66079</DestinationZip>
</PriorityMailRequest>

replace USERID, replace zip code with something like 11101 and 66079 and click "Enter"

This way?

And I should get reply

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PriorityMailResponse>
     <OriginZip>11101</OriginZip>
     <DestinationZip>66079</DestinationZip>
     <Days>2</Days>
</PriorityMailResponse>

• 2 weeks later...

I've been screwing this for 2 days now.  I keep getting authorization failure.  You are not authorized to connect to this server.

I've even copied your snippet and only changed the userid.  still won't work.

I really wonder why the USPS makes it so hard to do.

I've been screwing this for 2 days now.  I keep getting authorization failure.  You are not authorized to connect to this server.

I've even copied your snippet and only changed the userid.  still won't work.

"I really wonder why the USPS makes it so hard to do."

That's funny. The answer is simple......they have no one to answer to. Only government can be so incompetent and get away with it. And they actually want more of our money so they can be even more incompetent. Wasting our money is of no concern to them, and no one can be fired. 

OK, my question is.....now that you have figured out how to use this module, can you tell me if it calculates Regional Priority rates? This is what we use because it is cheaper than regular Priority. And it would be extremely helpful if we could process right from the BO and print the label.

Solved. The USPS instructions are confusing. See my reply #3 above, solved. After you have your Web API, Run Test XML Requests, do not change the address, edit as I mention if necessary. For other tests go to the site https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/service-standards-and-commitments.htm. Replaces x's with your User ID, copy the code into your browser address bar, press enter and you will see ther results.

It looks strange, but leave everythign about the zip codes as is. Also, in the technical documentation the USPS says to copy the code, use your Web ID, but "All remaining code in the test scripts provided must remain unchanged."

However, that is in correct.

when you see "SERVERNAME"

replace it with either: production.shippingapis.com

of that doesn't work, use: secure.shippingapis.com

Remember, then just paste the code into yoru browser address bar and you should the the resutls exactly as they show.

Here is the priority mail Test Request

http://production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPITest.dll?API=PriorityMail&XML=<PriorityMailRequest USERID="xxxxxxxxxxxx">
     <OriginZip>4</OriginZip>
     <DestinationZip>4</DestinationZip>
</PriorityMailRequest>

Results will show on your screen just like below, nothing else. Looks a bit different in Firefox, I tried again with IE.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PriorityMailResponse>
     <OriginZip>4</OriginZip>
     <DestinationZip>4</DestinationZip>
     <Days>1</Days>
</PriorityMailResponse>

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Without additional premium modules, integrating USPS simply gives customers real-time shipping options and rates. Since we just started our business, we've been testing options without spending on modules to lower initial costs. USPS doesn't make anything easy. But, together with PayPal we have found a good solution to print a label with postage, Option 2 below, which seems to have all the advantages of Option 1 built in.

[see my update below - Is Presto-Changeo just a costly label printer? Miss-information?]

Option 1 - directly with USPS, no PayPal. They have a Click n Ship feature, which you can use online or download an app and use directly on your computer. You can pay for postage, but we didn't go this route after testing with the desktop app. Why? Prestashop doesn't export the label, even with a free (outdated) module we found, in a format that Click n Ship can import properly, so there will be lots of work to type/correct each label (with more probability for error), especially as you get busy. See USPS online postage printing options here. See Click n Ship  short video. If someone has exported the label and imported into Click n Ship that didn't mess it up, please tell us how. There are premium order export modules available.

Option 2 - USPS label via PayPal. After the customer pays for their order, we go into PayPal and print the label directly there. Double check shipping address with order, everything is entered by the customer, saving time and eliminating possible mistakes. PayPal gives the option to ship using USPS or UPS, pay for shipping and print the label, including delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, insurance, package pickup or drop off. You must be logged in, to See their slide demo info here.

We are currently using flat rates and offer few options as our product line is limited. As things get busy, and hopefully they will, we will look at other options that save time and streamline the order processing, like the PrestoChangeo module, even if it costs a bit.

[update] I just noted that Presto-Chango incorrectly states that USPS "does not offer the ability to pay for postage when generating a label." So it looks like a costly label printer!? Hmmm

Daniel

• Like 1

• 2 years later...