Moving to another domain name

Hello,

So currently I have my Prestashop site set up under a "test" domain. I want to move my Prestashop installation from my current "test" domain to my company's "live" domain with as little down time as possible. What are the best steps to make this happen? How should I prepare?

Note: the 2 websites and domains are on completely different servers and registrars. I will be keeping the Prestashop on the server it is currently on. So basically I just want to change the domain name from testdomain.com to livedomain.com.

Thanks!

Just upload files to the new server, change settings in configuration file (database login pass host db). That's all. Why?

with as little down time as possible

If you've got domain + server now, you don't have to wait to the DNS propagation (waiting to refresh DNS servers) so in this case you don'y have to do anything else - just upload files, change configuration

If I understand properly, there is only a single server, with a single Prestashop install. But there are 2 domain names domain1.com and domain2.com

He simply wants to change the domain that points to the Prestashop install.

You should just work with your hosting provider and registrar to change the domain.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll try to explain it a little better.

Livedomain - on shared hosting provider and domain is registered with godaddy.com

Testdomain - on VPS hosting and domain is registered with this vps host gridvirt.com

I want to keep the site on the testdomain host and registrar and just change the domain name to my live domain. So right now my Prestashop site is on testdomain.com and all I want to do is change it to livedomain.com.

this is what you currently have

livedomain -> shared hosting

testdomain -> vps server

but you want

livedomain -> vps server

testdomain -> vps server

These should be the steps

1) you should get in touch with gridvirt.com support, and tell them you want to point livedomain to the VPS server. There is likely some configuration they need to do to support this. You also need to ensure you have enough licenses to support 2 domains on the VPS server

2) you need to get the name servers from gridvirt.com for your VPS server

2) you need to update godaddy to use those name servers

3) you need to update the Prestashop instance on the VPS server to use livedomain

I'm not sure what you intend to do with Testdomain, but you should likely not point both domains to it, unless you have configured multi-store for it?

• Like 1

@ajensen27,

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

Have you been able to update the name servers on your domain with us?

If not the instructions on the link below should help in setting up the name servers you would like to use:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/664/setting-nameservers-for-your-domain-names

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reply or send me a private message.

• 3 months later...

Hi, i have a similar scenario and I am new at this and don't want to end up with two websites down. I did contact the host and they do not provide this type of service. (Some would proabably say I need to change host, I agree but I am on a full year contact and have 6+ months to go.)

Anyway,

The installation is done in a quick one-step process through MOJO and not a manual installation.

Both sites will be on the same host server. The DNS for the new domain name has been pointed to the host.

I want to rename domain www.xxxxxx.com to domain name www.aaaaaa.com

Please help.

Thanks

No, the domain does not point to the store directory, the DNS points to the host server. Both domains will be on the same server but I want to change the domain name .

I reluctantly tried it and received an error

Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.xxxxxxxx.com Port 80

No you don't have to start from scratch.

Put store in Maintainence mode with ability to read from your ISP

MOVE the files from "Test-directory" to "Live-directory" using  Filezilla or C-panel

Login to to Back office    preferences > seo & urls 

Change it there to www.mylivestore.com

it should see the Database and your down time is VERY Minimal