New theme collaborative work : break down the rules

Here's a new collaborative work proposal between you (coder, css master) and me (simple graphic designer).

I put the copy of a post below, it was published on another thread and had a few message exchanges with a few persons.

I just would like to add that it'd be a good idea that no core files shall be modified doing this theme. Just a simple theme in its own folder. This would avoid most problems with new versions of prestashop, or simply the fact that installing a theme is not the easiest and my aim is that the user experience must be the best.

Remember, people installing themes and creating websites aren't developers. If they were, they'd just create their own custom CMS :-)

I just took half an hour to create a simple mockup on illustrator. Later on I can create the gif/jpg images that we'll use on the theme. Let's have fun!

Any ideas much much welcome! The only rules are : everything in the header, only one column, easy shopping experience, one page check out. This is really aimed at small stores that doesn't have 100's of products.

The wordpress theme that'll be designed for it will be pretty much the same, except the navigation on the header that'll have different titles, including one that's "shop".

Let's have fun!

////
Ok my dream project is to do a fusion of a wordpress theme + prestashop theme so that companies (or individuals) who are handling a website/blog/magazine (etc.) on wordpress could have their store with the same design as their website. a bit like archiduchesse.com in terms of fusion (click on blog you’re on the blog, click on shop you’re in prestashop). and the web experience is great because you barely notice the switch between the store and the blog.
Now, let’s see, if it’s possible to have a simple but effective prestashop template. That would mean totally erase the concept of having multi-navigation (such as on the main prestashop theme), and develop the idea of having a header that contains everything, including the shopping cart and a check out button that’s always available, be it on wordpress or prestashop.
Sounds interesting? Or maybe boring, or maybe undoable let’s see!

10527_Gla1ajjn7bDe1rf0yDYf_t

Hum, as I thought...

The design template is simple. Integration with wordpress is too easy. There are many guides to integrate sections of wordpress (post, pages, etc) on any system. For example, include the most recent entries:
http://www.rsi-sistemas.com.ar/blog/index.php/colocar-entradas-de-tu-blog-en-una-web-externa/

There must be someone who is interested is certainly this, but you can publish in http://www.pidepresupuesto.com/ or trabajofreelance.com
You may have someone interested in a modest amount of money.
Good luck

Hum, as I thought...

Yep, most "helpers" here are in fact just leechers......

They moan and complain for the lack of free help and as soon as they are asked to do something back for free...., they look away.

or maybe we are just busy.....

hehe, no prob guys, let's not fight.

thanks alot for the input, I'll reply this week-end. cheers!

I thinkk this theme should be free and not for sale. I'm willing to collaborate with you guys on other templates that might end up in your theme store, but not this one as it's a bit experimental and should come as a bundle wordpress/prestashop template.
What do you think?

Hum, yes, I'm afraid alot of persons are making a living out of this. Which is ok with me.
I still can't figure it out, how those templates can be sold, especially when it's just some color tweaks
off the original template that is, let's face it, not very appealing
(I've yet got to see an ugly-looking store template by a big name brand like Vuitton or Hermès... hehe).

This time let's try and make it a fun project/experiment and let's keep it free, I think it'll be better as no money is involved.
I'd love to make this template and see other designers tweak it to the max and make it something great.

Come on guys, it only took me 30 minutes to make a mockup for the homepage, let's work together and do something nice.
Work is not all about making money.

Ok so no one is interested in collaborating in an interesting Prestashop theme
unless it's generating cash?

Guys you're so cheap! Selling awful themes for 30$ that nobody buys is ok with you
but working on something stylish, useful to some, and for free is a no-no...

I think it's hopeless.
I might move to another shopping cart system after all (like shopp which is integrated into wordpress).
The problem is that the community here is not big enough, and there aren't enough coders/designers.
The project is maybe too different than the basic 3 column CHAOS that the original theme is.
On the other hand if one is not smart enough to see in pro stores that simplicity and user experience is everything
then maybe I should switch?

errm ok calm your jets man!

as a coder i also do all my own images/artwork/whatever else i need to do to get the job done, why dont you learn some php/css and html and do the same?

The layout you have up on the first post is nice but unless i have a client that wants something like that its not something id be looking at developing.

as far as the layout goes from a website flow point of view i dont like it because the main content and menu areas are too cluttered and dont offer a customer a clear and defined objective. frankly i find the menus down the left side confusing what the purpose of the website actually is (to sell stuff).

but dont let that discourage you, im not intending this as a personal attack you just seemed like you wanted an answer from someone.

I spend too much time designing clothes, no time to php.

it's just a mockup done in 30 minutes, not a final website. anything is possible. I could use a bit more space between the header and the contents area etc.

the goal here is to produce a very simple layout for brands (I do clothes, but could be something else).

it's basicly the horizontal top menu that is important and below, a list of products.

the footer can be internal links, or privacy/terms etc links, whatever else...
a brand always has minor links to display somewhere...

I know tons of people who wants to open a store and have a hard time finding the right shopping cart because when you do fashion or design,
you don't want anything that looks like default themes by any shopping cart around (magento, prestashop, oscommerce etc.).
Again, this ain't a commercial for sale theme, I'd gladly collab on the project and spread it out for free.

peace.

oh well. that's ok after all, I'm not a moderator or anything...
but I don't see the connection here, the guy would like a template similar to the mockup above...
yours is just a colorway off the original presta theme, isn't it?

oh well. that's ok after all, I'm not a moderator or anything...
but I don't see the connection here, the guy would like a template similar to the mockup above...
yours is just a colorway off the original presta theme, isn't it?

No, no isnt it. download and view the css, sources, icons, etc...

I thought it's the same as a default them, because of the general feel, the urge to use the same old 3 columns with lots of information on each and every side of the page, the lack of harmony in colors, the gradient logos (so early web!), the "button"-looking squares behind any title, menu item, section etc to make it look like an 1995 button (haha).

Sorry, couldn't help... it's 2009 guys wake up (prestashop's default theme is pretty much the same)!

When you shop at Ralph Lauren or Abercrombie online do you see the difference? If you do, don't you think that with coding skills + a designer you could make some very good templates? :-) After all Prestashop has the potential.

Sorry for being sarcastic, in reality I don't bite!

I thought it's the same as a default them, because of the general feel, the urge to use the same old 3 columns with lots of information on each and every side of the page, the lack of harmony in colors, the gradient logos (so early web!), the "button"-looking squares behind any title, menu item, section etc to make it look like an 1995 button (haha).

Sorry, couldn't help... it's 2009 guys wake up (prestashop's default theme is pretty much the same)!

When you shop at Ralph Lauren or Abercrombie online do you see the difference? If you do, don't you think that with coding skills + a designer you could make some very good templates? :-) After all Prestashop has the potential.

Spot on!

All the "free" templates look like the default one. I realy don't care that it has a state-of-the-art css or wathever, as a visitor to a PrestaShop shop I only see a default template with differend colors.

Why is everybody who builds "free" templates wasting their time and potential instead of colaborating on this initiativ?
I know why, because they all want te be know as "the best" free template builder here on these forums.

Come on, get of your high horses and combine your strenght in building a template that does make a difference!
That is what Open Source is about...

Spot on!

All the "free" templates look like the default one. I realy don't care that it has a state-of-the-art css or wathever, as a visitor to a PrestaShop shop I only see a default template with differend colors.

Why is everybody who builds "free" templates wasting their time and potential instead of colaborating on this initiativ?
I know why, because they all want te be know as "the best" free template builder here on these forums.

Come on, get of your high horses and combine your strenght in building a template that does make a difference!
That is what Open Source is about...

i dont think so. See ipnotik template, minimaliste, etc.....you need to see more closer friend.

I think this situation is like an episode of the "twilight zone"...

it's like... everybody wants a professional theme for its store, but the supply (theme stores)
have no clue what design, user experience or marketing means.

basicly, what we find online is crap with a big "C".

so far, we know it's possible to make a simple and good looking prestashop theme (see archiduchesse.com)
but no one has the guts to create such type of template.

sorry for the negative input on your themes, but let's face it, they are far far far away
from today's web standards you see on online stores in terms of user experience,
and even further away from a design perspective.

i don't want to argue forever on this topic, if no coder feels like contributing to this them for free, then fine.

Ok let's do this on a 1.2.2 installation.
Rule #1 let's not modify anything else than what's on the theme folder, no "core" modifications.
This will be helpful for the user who are not familiar with coding etc.

I'm preparing some additional template for the check out page, and one for the info pages (like privacy policy, about us etc.)

I totally agree with what you were saying in2sky, and many of us have thought it since installing Prestashop no doubt.

There are a few good free templates out there - but most as said, are pretty bad. It's not just changing the default themes colours, it's the awful colour combinations people choose in their place i.e. purple and green! There are also some good templates out there for sale but they are few and far between.

That is the fundamental issue that lets Presta down in my mind (on what is otherwise a brilliant product) - the indifferent quality of themes available both paid for and free. Partly I think it's Presta's fault as they really should have released more than 1 default theme by now, giving people with the basic knowledge and spare time more material to play around with.

I don't know any coding as I am a print designer, but I could knock-up a mock-up in Illustrator or Photshop if asked to, although web design is not my forte.

Good luck with this anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this is a really good idea to have Open Source template that is fluid and visually attractive. I like the default template, but perhaps I fit into the catagory of the blind developers rather than the chic designer!!!

Anyhow to get the ball rolling and also as I am doing a template for my brother's clothes boutique shop, I have created a Git repository where I will push my work to. You can checkout the code from http://github.com/nkhine/prestashop-template

Currently there are no files apart from the README, but I will add the core files (maybe today) and take it from there. I don't have a visual as of yet as to how the template should look and feel.

But this is open for discussion.

Norman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

well, i have some work here [email protected]:nkhine/admgard.git it is for the http://admgard.org site. it uses YUI 2 grids and jQuery themes. if it is useful you can pull it and change it.

you can set in the config/settings.inc.php

define('_THEMEROLLER_NAME_', 'sunny');

http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/

$ tree -L 1 css/jquery/
css/jquery/
|-- humanity
|-- start
`-- sunny

will upgrade to prestashop 1.3 perhaps next week or later depends on my work load.
if you can contribute it will be good.

• 8 months later...
Is this project dead ?

Yes, I think it is. Have not found a coder for the project.

The problem is :

What us designers find ugly (i.e. work that's disrespectful of design structure, grid and codes)
is totally ok to developers. They're happy with their ugly 3 columns, rounded corners and other amateur crap.
Because it's not their job to be designers. We all have our respective jobs and God forbid should we
join forces and create something good.

I really like Prestashop, lots of good features, new version is better than ever,
but not providing at least 2 or 3 themes made by actual designers is a total FAIL.

And it's not like I've posted the first thread about collaborating on a theme,
others have done the same thing and the result is : 0 new themes.

like... what? what are you talking about?
is it relevant to this thread?

well, i have some work here [email protected]:nkhine/admgard.git it is for the http://admgard.org site. it uses YUI 2 grids and jQuery themes. if it is useful you can pull it and change it.

you can set in the config/settings.inc.php

define('_THEMEROLLER_NAME_', 'sunny');

http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/

$ tree -L 1 css/jquery/
css/jquery/
|-- humanity
|-- start
`-- sunny

will upgrade to prestashop 1.3 perhaps next week or later depends on my work load.
if you can contribute it will be good.