Hi!

I know this topic has already been discused and I've read all that's available regarding this topic on Prestashop Forums, although I haven't yet found any good and free solution regarding EU Cookie Law (I'm from Slovenia and this law will become live on June 15th here).

As far as I know it is ok to have cookies enabled for the cart and the entire purchasing system, but there is not quite that simple with, for example cookies that Google Anaylitics, Facebook, Twitter, etc. use.

I would like to know whether anyone of you, who already implemented a fully functional and free (not some broken codes, payable modules, etc.) solution which complies with EU Cookie Laws, could tell me what module, code or any other solution I should use in order to coply with that regulatives? And what exactly there should be stated in order to fully satisfy all the regulatives, standards and laws?

I believe many users of Prestashop are going to be thankful for your answer, including me.

Thank you and regards,

Nina

Edited by NinaCreatus (see edit history)

Good morning,

Well, it's a difficult question, it maybe European law but it depends which countries agree with it and how it should be implemented.

The easiest way to go is to copy and paste, with the obvious alterations, your own governments website/s cookie law.

For example HERE is UK government website, but after I visited this site I was able to move to any page without agreeing to cookies.

As far as I am aware it is, at least in the UK, an impossible law to enforce and, including the UK enforcement agencies, something they really do not want to deal with.

After saying that, their are free modules you can get from the forum which will allow a visitor to your website to agree or not to the use of cookies, their is a good one HERE

To be honest this is a law that nobody really want to enforce

Hope this makes sense and helps

Paul

• Like 1

Hi!

I know this topic has already been discused and I've read all that's available regarding this topic on Prestashop Forums, although I haven't yet found any good and free solution regarding EU Cookie Law (I'm from Slovenia and this law will become live on June 15th here).

As far as I know it is ok to have cookies enabled for the cart and the entire purchasing system, but there is not quite that simple with, for example cookies that Google Anaylitics, Facebook, Twitter, etc. use.

I would like to know whether anyone of you, who already implemented a fully functional and free (not some broken codes, payable modules, etc.) solution which complies with EU Cookie Laws, could tell me what module, code or any other solution I should use in order to coply with that regulatives? And what exactly there should be stated in order to fully satisfy all the regulatives, standards and laws?

I believe many users of Prestashop are going to be thankful for your answer, including me.

Thank you and regards,

Nina

Hi Nina and everybody else,

I believe i found something which is quite interesting and hope to help you all with the EU cookie directive of May 2011.

You may see it on the left bottom corner my site, is absolutely free and you go from there. If you like it.

regards

tasos

www.beadway.eu

Edited by tasoschr (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The EU law is the minimum law that all countries in the EU have to follow from my understanding. So the issue is more a local issue thing than an EU wide thing, correct?

The directive is for any page that target countries of EU

Regards

The EU law is the minimum law that all countries in the EU have to follow from my understanding. So the issue is more a local issue thing than an EU wide thing, correct?

correct, all european union countries have to follow directives from European Union Parliament. Individual countries make laws, which must be consistent with the directives. In some countries popup with info or visible information is necessary (Poland) and soon also in Slovakia (June 15th)

Good morning,

Well, it's a difficult question, it maybe European law but it depends which countries agree with it and how it should be implemented.

The easiest way to go is to copy and paste, with the obvious alterations, your own governments website/s cookie law.

For example HERE is UK government website, but after I visited this site I was able to move to any page without agreeing to cookies.

As far as I am aware it is, at least in the UK, an impossible law to enforce and, including the UK enforcement agencies, something they really do not want to deal with.

After saying that, their are free modules you can get from the forum which will allow a visitor to your website to agree or not to the use of cookies, their is a good one HERE

To be honest this is a law that nobody really want to enforce

Hope this makes sense and helps

Paul

Hi, Perfumeskunk!

Thank you so much for responding to my post - I really appreciate this and I'm glad that this post received so much replies, as the EU Cookie Law is really something we, living in the EU really do not like. And I do agree that it's probably only about time when this law is going to become "dead", the same as it has already happended in many other countries.

Perfumeskunk, thank you for posting your link to the module. I'm still gathering as much info as possible to find the best solution, but yours and Tasoschr seem to be the far most useable.

When I implement one of the choosen modules, I'll all let you know what I think of it and I hope all your posts and help will also help other users of Prestashop who are living in EU and are still looking for such modules.

Regards,

Nina

I believe i found something which is quite interesting and hope to help you all with the EU cookie directive of May 2011.

You may see it on the left bottom corner my site, is absolutely free and you go from there. If you like it.

regards

tasos

www.beadway.eu

Hi, Tasoschr!

Thank you so much for being so nice to answer to my post and posting the link to your e-store. Since we share the same passion (jewelry, etc.), may I first compliment your website - I like it a lot, it's user friendly and has lots of interesting products. I believe having so many products must have taken you quite a lot of time to manage your e-store. The only thing I noticed is that the pages are loading kind of slow, but that's the same problem I'm experiencing with my website, too. Maybe it is only because of so many products (I have more than 700 products in it).

As for the module I saw on your website - it looks really nice, it is well understood and I like it a lot.

May I ask you whether it is true that the cookies do not store before you don't accept the policy terms? And only after you agree with the cookie policy/terms, the cookies start to store on someone's computer? If it is so, then this module seems as a really good solution.

Another question - does this module allow users to change their mind and not to agree with the cookie policy after some time? Does it allow them to customise their preferences about cookies later, after some time?

I'd be thankful if you could answer the above questions.

Thank you again and best regards,

Nina

Another u

regards

tasos

www.beadway.eu

One more question, tasoschr about the Consent model - what would you suggest - do you think it is better to use Information only, Explicit or Implicit Consent model? What do other who posted on this topic, think about that - what are your experiences?

Thank you!

Regards,

Nina

Hi, Tasoschr!

Thank you so much for being so nice to answer to my post and posting the link to your e-store. Since we share the same passion (jewelry, etc.), may I first compliment your website - I like it a lot, it's user friendly and has lots of interesting products. I believe having so many products must have taken you quite a lot of time to manage your e-store. The only thing I noticed is that the pages are loading kind of slow, but that's the same problem I'm experiencing with my website, too. Maybe it is only because of so many products (I have more than 700 products in it).

As for the module I saw on your website - it looks really nice, it is well understood and I like it a lot.

May I ask you whether it is true that the cookies do not store before you don't accept the policy terms? And only after you agree with the cookie policy/terms, the cookies start to store on someone's computer? If it is so, then this module seems as a really good solution.

Another question - does this module allow users to change their mind and not to agree with the cookie policy after some time? Does it allow them to customise their preferences about cookies later, after some time?

I'd be thankful if you could answer the above questions.

Thank you again and best regards,

Nina

Hi Nina,

Thank you very much for your kind words about my website. I really appreciate it.

Now regarding your questions:

1. By the time someone enters my page cookies are off. therefore no cookies are written on their computer.User can still browse the site but it will not work as if cookies were allowed.

2. The answer is yes. They need to clear the cookies in their browsers for which i tell them through this utility how to do it for each and every browser available. If you noticed, there is a small link for this purpose. Also there is a link for users to read the 'cookie privacy policy' which was automatically generated by a small plug-in, extension I use for my Google Chrome browser. it is called Attacat Cookie Audit tool. What this tool does, is recording your moves in your website collecting information about all cookies that your site uses. After that and after asking you a few questions, it generates a 'cookie privacy policy' 'wording' which you use to built the cookie policy page. It is quite nice little thing. I like it.

Hope the above will help.

Best regards,

Tasos

• Like 1

Another u

One more question, tasoschr about the Consent model - what would you suggest - do you think it is better to use Information only, Explicit or Implicit Consent model? What do other who posted on this topic, think about that - what are your experiences?

Thank you!

Regards,

Nina

Hi again Nina,

I use the implicit model because users can enter the site even if they have not given their consent and even if cookies are off.

In the explicit model users MUST give their consent before entering the site. If they do not agree, they are not allowed to enter the site.

It depends absolutely on you.

Regards

Tasos

• Like 1

hi tasoschr,

that's a great tool you found there! Thank you for the info :)

One question..do you use the free or the paid version?

Hi Sasha85,

I am glad you like it.

I use the free version. The paid versions are more flexible. i mean more domains,more configurations, removal of their link, able to put your own wording etc..

Tasos

• Like 1

Thank you for your quick reply!

I don't mind their link. Just wanted to know, if all the options you have are available in the free version :) The only thing i HAVE to change is the text on the buttons..it has to be in slovenian.. btw your site looks awesome!

• Like 1

Thank you for your quick reply!

I don't mind their link. Just wanted to know, if all the options you have are available in the free version :) The only thing i HAVE to change is the text on the buttons..it has to be in slovenian.. btw your site looks awesome!

Thank you very much!!!

The script can easily be 'hacked' and put your own language and even your own wording if you don't like the existing one.. You just open the cookieControl version 5.1.js in a text editor and use the Find command from the edit menu. That's it you are done.

Regards

Tasos

• Like 1

Yes, the "hacking" isn't that hard. But i figured out, that it saves cookies (for example google analitics, facebook) even if it is set to explicit :wacko: if cookies are allowed and you then turn them off, it deletes some, but not all. I'm not sure if this is good enough for our law..i really liked cookie control, but it seems that i have to find another solution :(

• Like 1

I have Prestashop version 1.4.7.3. As I googled the right solution for EU cookie law for Prestashop (EU cookie law for websites in Slovenia must be implemented till 15. June 2013), I didn't find the right solution which meets the law requirements. The problem of Prestashop is that when one enter the shop, the cookie is created. The life-time of that cookie can be set in administration part of shop, but the life-time of that cookie can be set for minimum 1 hour, so this is not a solution for EU cookie law.

I'm java programmer, but I can also manage (not professional) php code as well. I have made a custom solution which cost me almost 3 days of study/implementing/testing/correcting the shop code.

The solution is consistent with EU cookie law (if visitor of the shop not accept the site cookies, only one cookie is created which expired when browser is closed. So user can login to the shop and use the cart. Visitor can also use a cart and can register.

If visitor/user accept the cookies, all cookies are created as normal.

All cookies which are not allowed by law can be controlled in settings file (for login/cart, Google Analytics, Google Adsense, Google +1, Facebook like box). As I tested my solution on my Prestashop, everything work fine. Visitor/user who already accepted the shop cookies can also decline accepted cookies. This action erase all first party cookies and set the shop login/cart cookie to expire when browser is closed.

if visitor of the shop not accept the site cookies, only one cookie is created which expired when browser is closed (so it's like session cookie, which is allowed, because shop can't operate without possibility to create a cart or login).

For me, this cookie law is the most stupid thing that man can ever invent. It will put the internet good things back to the 1995. Law is one thing, internet technology is another thing. They can cooperate, but with reasonable limits.

Well i read the "cookbook" 3 times and it says that cookies that are necessary are allowed and in my opinion prestashop creates just that 1 cookie that is necessary, that the shop works properly.. but i'm still not sure if it is ok or not, because the "cookbook" and our law do not match entirely..

the script that silktide (http://silktide.com/cookieconsent) offers is nice, but has to be modified (just a few things) to match our law. That's my problem because i don't have a clue about this things :D I tried a few things, but couldn't modify everything.

presta666 we have our own forum now, if you are interested http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/231183-pomoc-za-slovenske-uporabnike-prestashop/

• Like 1

Hi again Nina, I use the implicit model because users can enter the site even if they have not given their consent and even if cookies are off. In the explicit model users MUST give their consent before entering the site. If they do not agree, they are not allowed to enter the site. It depends absolutely on you. Regards Tasos

Hi, Tasos!

Thank you for all your answers to my post and questions. I haven't visited this forum for quite a while, yesterday I couldn't reach the forum pages at all and now, luckily all seems fine now.

I am really grateful for yll your answers, it is good to know that this module has so many options.

Though, I just saw that sasha85 mentioned in his previous post that this module still saves cookies. sasha85 said: "(for example google analitics, facebook) even if it is set to explicit :wacko: if cookies are allowed and you then turn them off, it deletes some, but not all. I'm not sure if this is good enough for our law..i really liked cookie control, but it seems that i have to find another solution :("

Is it really so? Is there any solution to this?

Thank you in advance for all your answers and to you, sasha85, too!

Hi again Nina, I use the implicit model because users can enter the site even if they have not given their consent and even if cookies are off. In the explicit model users MUST give their consent before entering the site. If they do not agree, they are not allowed to enter the site. It depends absolutely on you. Regards Tasos

Hi, Tasos!

Thank you for all your answers to my post and questions. I haven't visited this forum for quite a while, yesterday I couldn't reach the forum pages at all and now, luckily all seems fine now.

I am really grateful for yll your answers, it is good to know that this module has so many options.

Though, I just saw that sasha85 mentioned in his previous post that this module still saves cookies. sasha85 said: "(for example google analitics, facebook) even if it is set to explicit :wacko: if cookies are allowed and you then turn them off, it deletes some, but not all. I'm not sure if this is good enough for our law..i really liked cookie control, but it seems that i have to find another solution :("

Hi, Tasos!

Hi, Tasos!

Hi Nina,

Then we need to check the paid versions. Is the only thing i can think of.

I will check this out with the Cookie Control team and see what they have to say about that.

• Like 1

Well i read the "cookbook" 3 times and it says that cookies that are necessary are allowed and in my opinion prestashop creates just that 1 cookie that is necessary, that the shop works properly.. but i'm still not sure if it is ok or not, because the "cookbook" and our law do not match entirely..

the script that silktide (http://silktide.com/cookieconsent) offers is nice, but has to be modified (just a few things) to match our law. That's my problem because i don't have a clue about this things :D I tried a few things, but couldn't modify everything.

presta666 we have our own forum now, if you are interested http://www.prestasho...ike-prestashop/

Hi Sasha,

Is it possible to see what others have implemented in your country and check out those solutions. I mean other web masters.

I'm checking sites for about 2 weeks now :D Most of them don't have anything or they don't have the "right" solution, because cookies are stored either way.. I think i figured that the civic module does work, but you have to change some settings for google analytics or add them, i'm not sure! When i checked another script (silktide) there was explained that some changes have to be made, your google analytics key or something like that inserted, that everything works like it should, maybe it is the same with civic. We don't use analytics so i didn't go further into this.

About facebook..we have the facebook plugin like you tasos and it DOESN'T save any cookies when you visit our page, or yours, or any page with the plugin. It saves cookies when you click the like button or the link to the facebook page. Beacuse this is a 3rd party request not a 3rd party cookie and it is not saved by the page that has the plugin, but from facebook itself, when a new window is opened (if you are not logged in a new window opens). Well our "cookbook" doesn't say anything about 3rd party requests or at least i didn't find anything useful..but it says that facebook can "follow" registered users (for that you don't need approve, because you approve when you accept the facebook policy), but not users that are not registered on facebook. If i understand that right, if i use facebook there should be no problem, when i don't use it and that means i'm not logged in, a new window opens and cookies are stored from the new facebook window and this is not my problem anymore.

Don't take me by the words, because it can be, that i didn't understand it right :) I didn't find anything useful about links to other pages..some say that this is not the problem of the site that has the link, i hope this is right, but as i said, i checked many sites and it works like this...

I also send a request to a company that offers cookie analyse for free and the result was, that we have just that 1 cookie (from prestashop) for which you don't need approve.

But in any case you have to add a cookies policy page!

I hope i could help you and i really hope this is ok, else we all are screwed hehe :D

Oh and another thing..many company's offer solutions (expensive solutions) that should be ok, but when you read the law i don't think that they really are ok..we all are getting grey hair with this law, 'cause no one really knows what is right and what they want...some say it is ok like this some say it is not :wacko:

Edited by sasha85 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi all,

thanks for all this informations, it was really helpfull.

I have one question, in which file should I put javascript code, to work on my site?

I tried in header.php, also in footer.php, but that does not work. :(

Thanks!

Hi all,

thanks for all this informations, it was really helpfull.

I have one question, in which file should I put javascript code, to work on my site?

I tried in header.php, also in footer.php, but that does not work. :(

Thanks!

Hi,

You may put the code in the footer.tpl

I'm checking sites for about 2 weeks now :D Most of them don't have anything or they don't have the "right" solution, because cookies are stored either way.. I think i figured that the civic module does work, but you have to change some settings for google analytics or add them, i'm not sure! When i checked another script (silktide) there was explained that some changes have to be made, your google analytics key or something like that inserted, that everything works like it should, maybe it is the same with civic. We don't use analytics so i didn't go further into this.

About facebook..we have the facebook plugin like you tasos and it DOESN'T save any cookies when you visit our page, or yours, or any page with the plugin. It saves cookies when you click the like button or the link to the facebook page. Beacuse this is a 3rd party request not a 3rd party cookie and it is not saved by the page that has the plugin, but from facebook itself, when a new window is opened (if you are not logged in a new window opens). Well our "cookbook" doesn't say anything about 3rd party requests or at least i didn't find anything useful..but it says that facebook can "follow" registered users (for that you don't need approve, because you approve when you accept the facebook policy), but not users that are not registered on facebook. If i understand that right, if i use facebook there should be no problem, when i don't use it and that means i'm not logged in, a new window opens and cookies are stored from the new facebook window and this is not my problem anymore.

Don't take me by the words, because it can be, that i didn't understand it right :) I didn't find anything useful about links to other pages..some say that this is not the problem of the site that has the link, i hope this is right, but as i said, i checked many sites and it works like this...

I also send a request to a company that offers cookie analyse for free and the result was, that we have just that 1 cookie (from prestashop) for which you don't need approve.

I hope i could help you and i really hope this is ok, else we all are screwed hehe :D

Oh and another thing..many company's offer solutions (expensive solutions) that should be ok, but when you read the law i don't think that they really are ok..we all are getting grey hair with this law, 'cause no one really knows what is right and what they want...some say it is ok like this some say it is not :wacko:

Sasha,

Very comprehensive reply :) . Thank you so much.

Hi, sasha85!

That was a very thorough and uderstandable, also very well comprehensive answer and explanation. Thank you! May I ask you a couple of more things?

1. If my Prestashop e-store uses inside analytics, and let's say I remove the Google analytics code, do I still have to block the cookies until visitors don't agree with the cookies? Or is it that one Prestashop cookie you mentioned in your post?

2. Let's say it another way - If you have that FB like button (on the product page for each product) and a FB page like box in the menue (and also some other social plugins) - is it everything the same as you said about FB and their policy?

3. Does that mean that if I remove the Google anayltics code, I actually have only cookies that are allowed? If yes, then the paige with detailed explanation about the cookies, how they work, why they are here, etc shoud be enough, right?

4. Is there any other page than Cookie checker that I could use to check what type of cookies are on my page?

5. How about FB iframe codes? Since they "come " from FB, is it the same with them as with FB like button?

6. How about FB share button?

I know, many questions, but I hope we all can learn from them.

Thank you and best regards,

Nina

Hi Nina,

Then we need to check the paid versions. Is the only thing i can think of.

I will check this out with the Cookie Control team and see what they have to say about that.

Thank you for your answer, tasoschr!

Ok, let's see what the Cookie Control team is going to say about that.

Hi Sasha and Nina and everybody interested,

Please see the below guidance on the cookie law which explains everything and i believe your fears are answered in this documents.

http://www.ico.org.uk/news/latest_news/2011/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/guidance_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.ashx

Hi Nina,

no problem :) but as i said, don't take me by the word, because i'm not sure if i understood it right :D i hope the people who will check our sites will understand it like i do, else we have a problem :D

I hope i can give you the right answers.

1. Prestashop has it's own analitics, yes. And if you remove google analitics you don't need the approval for it, because you won't have it anymore. Our store saves only 1 cookie (the prestashop cookie) which is in my opinion for registration, cart and i don't know what else. Does anybody know anything more about it?

2. About facebook...i have no clue, sorry :/ we just have the like box (a module for prestashop) and it saves cookies only when you click on like or the link to our fb page. So that's why i understand, that we don't need approval, because it is not our site who sends the cookies automatically.

3. If the only cookies your page saves are the one from ps and analitics, then yes. I tried to check cookies on your site with cookie-checker, but it only gets me errors :/ but when i visit your site i only get the prestashop and the google analitics cookie, so i guess, if you remove analitics you only have the ps cookie left.

4. as to your next question...on slotech someone gave a link to another cookie check site, but it didn't work for me... we sent an email to www.3arh.com and they sent us an cookie analyse for our site. Try that. I hope you will get an answer, because it's already friday and almost 2 o'clock..

5 and 6. Again i don't know, sorry. I read something about iframes on slotech (https://slo-tech.com/forum/t567170/0), but can't remember what it was :D i know it's a lot to read, but most of the people there, more or less, know what they are talking about, so i would recommend you to read trough it and maybe ask them :)

Tasos, thanks for the link :) i didn't read i yet, 'cause i had too much work :D but i read the slovenian guidance book 3 times and it was no fun hehe :D

Our store is www.ups2buy.com if you want to see what we did (so nothing lol except the cookie privacy page) and what we wrote.

Oh Nina, if you want you can give me your email and i will send you our cookbook, 'cause i don't know where to find it, but you can also try to google it :)

• 1 year later...

I've just uninstalled GA module just because in Spain not a single one website is capable to comply with this stupid and idiot cookies law without great losses. Pay attention to this: before installing a single analytics cookie, in Spain a website must ask permission to the user to do this, or you cannot install that cookie. It's not enough noticing them about cookies, but you must request their authorization to install them.

Those banners and popups you will see in any Spanish website are totally unuseful, as they do not comply with the law. To accomplish this law surely designed by someone who has never touched a computer, you must spend some 50 € for a module that blocks the analytics modules and only installs their cookies after the user has given his consent to do this. But the problem is not spending 50 €, the problem is that what you get for that is a system telling to the user that he must allow the installation of something that he probably does not know what is, and the chances of him clicking the "No, thanks" button are very high.

Some companies have already been fined in Spain for not doing things as this absurd law says must be done. And fines for this can go up to 30,000€. So I've decided to uninstall GA module. Doing this, I don't need to seek the user permission to install the remaining cookie, that one catalogued as "technical and necessary to interact with the site". This EU regulation, with even more restrictive points of view developed in Spain, is totally absurd. Any non EU website will have advantadge on EU competitors. That's foolish. And the worst is that Spanish government websites DO NOT NEED TO COMPLY with this idiot law! See how nice is it: they develop a stupid EU directive with an own law, making this regulation even more stupid, and they write an article in this law saying that they do not need to accomplish it. 

• Like 1