Database Configuration -- Can't proceed

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, but it won't let me proceed past database configuration, and I get the error message "Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password, and database server name fields."

I am inputting "localhost" as my database host, and the user/password that I set as the main administrator username/password in MySQL.  I have double-checked that I have the correct database name, and have also tried inputting my domain name, and IP address for the database host and still no change.  I even tried creating a new username/password, and this does not work either.

Any ideas?  I've also tried using Open Cart and can't get past this step in their install either, so I'm sure it's something with the settings on my end, but I can't figure out what.

Thanks for any ideas!!

For some hosts, the 'username' you set for the database actually gets parsed as yourAccountUserName_databaseUserName. (For example, if I own BLAH.com, my account username is blah, and I want a db username of foo, the ACTUAL db username would be BLAH_foo .)

Also, some hosts use a different server for databases, instead of localhost. Make sure you have set up a mysql username/password/database, and not just an account.

Hmm, I tried your suggestion of using yarniapdx_yarniapdx as the username (I have the same username for both my domain and MySQL) but still get the same error message.  I'll try writing to my host and asking if they use something besides localhost, but I'm pretty sure that's what they use...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. No problems on our Mac test machine.

However our ISP does exactly what you say. If the URL is 'shop' and the user is 'admin' then the user becomes shop_admin.

I suspect that PS does not like the underscore.

~chris

• 1 month later...

I've got the same problem it seems - my db names/logins are automatically prepended with my hostname by cPanel. e.g. if I create a DB called 'shop', it's actually created as 'mydomain_shop', so I can't proceed beyond step 3 in the install it seems 8-/ Is there a solution for this yet?

Edit:
Nevermind - i'm an idiot.