[SOLVED] 1.5.3 Missing subcategories from blockcategories

As heading states, after update the subcategories are missing from FO.

Following threads have received comments on this matter, maybe solution should be written to this current thread!

Discussion on same issue, no solution:

http://www.prestasho...-1530-problems/

http://www.prestasho...53-upgrade-tip/

EDIT:

Real life example of the issue...

*I've copied over the older versions of the blockmanufacturer and blockcategories to fix the CSS "bugs" (renamed headings and stuff, BTW this is stupid to do, it creates unneeded mess!)

*Tried to change setting at BO, no help

catg1.JPGcatg2.JPG

EDIT2; Solution that worked for me as well:

I had the same problem after update to 1.5.3 version. Missing subcategories from blockcategories.

I have solved this problem in my e-shop. I have uninstall blockcategories module and after install again. After this module start works correct.

Regards

Inna

Edited by THM11 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

@THM11

- I had some weird behaviour in my navigation due to a cached JavaScript. It simply went away after clearing cache in all browsers on our PCs.

- I assume that CSS might be cached much the same way as JS.

Do you use some third party caching solution? (like CloudCache or so) I wouldn't know how to clear cache that is stored on servers along the way.

@THM11

- I had some weird behaviour in my navigation due to a cached JavaScript. It simply went away after clearing cache in all browsers on our PCs.

- I assume that CSS might be cached much the same way as JS.

Do you use some third party caching solution? (like CloudCache or so) I wouldn't know how to clear cache that is stored on servers along the way.

It shouldn't be any cache related issue. I've cleared cache from the server shop/cache and shop/themes/mytheme/cache. So I really think this is more related to due some MAJOR changes on how prestashop works.

Unfortunately, rolling back isn't an option for me, as the reason for upgrading was to fix the issue with country taxes not working!

EDIT: I've also discovered that the cart no longer works!

EDIT2: The cart is working again and have thus discovered that the country tax issue has NOT been fixed (this was my sole reason for upgrading). Also, all the issues with block styling is a nightmare (it would help if there was some consistency in the way the styles were located and applied for ALL the modules) and trying to find where to make the mods again is a right pain - I still can't find the CSS for the box title for the viewed products box! It doesn't follow the same route as other modules for some reason!?!

Also, ALL styling should be outside the core so that the core files changing should not change any custom theme that has been applied - The TOP MENU being a case in point! And as for the subcategories box menu now being broken - well... DUH!?! It was working fine before, why break it!?!?

Edited by Porpoise (see edit history)

I'm too rolling back! - really can't believe this. thought moving to GitHub was going to improve things?

My Issues:

Top menu - Not correct colour/shading

Manufactures Block = Heading colour gone and text position also wrong.

Categories Block = Heading colour gone

Regards

Matt Gibson

I'm too rolling back! - really can't believe this. thought moving to GitHub was going to improve things?

My Issues:

Top menu - Not correct colour/shading

Manufactures Block = Heading colour gone and text position also wrong.

Categories Block = Heading colour gone

Regards

Matt Gibson

Matt I think your issues has been solved (if only related to headings and their look and feel), you can see this post http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/212996-153-upgrade-tip/

I had the same problem after update to 1.5.3 version. Missing subcategories from blockcategories.

I have solved this problem in my e-shop. I have uninstall blockcategories module and after install again. After this module start works correct.

Regards

Inna

• Like 1

Regards

Inna

Thanks for that Inna - worked a treat! It would be great to know why (what is the mechanism) that works but, for the moment, it is enough that it works!

Regards,

Steve

Hello!

I don't think the blockcategories is solved at all unfortunately... Every time I uninstall and reinstall the module, all settings revert back to default. I don't want to use the default, instead I want to have a maximum depth of 2 and not be using dynamic. When changing the settings, the blockcategories module stops working again... :(

Regards

Christian

Hello chla1 and Bside, I am not able to reproduce the issue. I have my categories to show 3 sublevels, dynamic off. At my home page I am able to see all my expanded sub categories, when I turn dynamic on, I am able to see the (+) on all pages.

This is a fresh 1.5.2 upgrading to 1.5.3.1

Please let me know how I can try to reproduce this issue. Thanks!

Please remove the [sOLVED] from topic, only way for get subcategories work is completely delete module from server or delete all cache files.

That is not a solution!

If a change root category for store in multistore mode, subcategories missing again.

Hello chla1 and Bside, I am not able to reproduce the issue. I have my categories to show 3 sublevels, dynamic off. At my home page I am able to see all my expanded sub categories, when I turn dynamic on, I am able to see the (+) on all pages.

I just updated from 1.5.2. I'm not sure how to reproduce it other than that. The update went fine.

So far all I noticed was this issue and the top horizontal menu doesn't have the gradient.

Edit: I fixed the expanding category issue by downloading the 1.5.3.1 from PS and replacing the blockcategories folder in the Modules folder AND the blockcategories folder in the theme/default folder.

There are now modules in the default theme folder.

Edited by bside2234 (see edit history)

I have a site I just updated today from 1.4.9.1 to 1.5.3.1 and there is no + sign in my menu, I think the issue may arise from 1.4 to 1.5.3 update as if I updated to 1.5.2 this was not an issue.

I have just started to test so can not say much beyond this yet but there is an issue with 1.5.3 upgrade.

I have a 1.5.3 fresh install and this is not an issue.

I have a site I just updated today from 1.4.9.1 to 1.5.3.1 and there is no + sign in my menu, I think the issue may arise from 1.4 to 1.5.3 update as if I updated to 1.5.2 this was not an issue.

I have just started to test so can not say much beyond this yet but there is an issue with 1.5.3 upgrade.

I'm having this issue with a 1.5.2 to 1.5.3 update. I tried replacing the category module folder with a backup from 1.5.2 and that didn't help. I'm thinking it's something external from the category module folder. I wonder if the selection in the back office is actually working or not.

Hello!

I upgraded from 1.4.9.0 to 1.5.3.1. After that, the blockcategories module started to work bad... Can you reproduce the error if you upgrade a 1.4.9.0 installation to 1.5.3.1?

Same problem for me - update from 1.4.6.2. to 1.5.3. or 1.5.3.1. no different no + sign, no subcategories on category panel

Edited by Radek100 (see edit history)

I fixed it by downloading the 1.5.3.1 from PS and replacing the blockcategories folder in the modules folder AND the blockcategories folder in the Themes folder. Yes, there are module folders in the theme folder now!!!!!

I think if you don't choose to update the theme when updating, things would be messed up. There should be something that says what options need to be selected when updating or else how would someone know that the theme would HAVE to be updated?

I installed 1.5.3.1. and I need only to reinstall the module block category, now it works for me. + sign included and categories are shown. But only after reinstall.

Maybe the reinstall make the same as bside2234 wrote.

I tried the reinstall thing many times and it didn't work for me. Just replacing it with the downloaded version worked. Not sure if it was the Modules/blockcategories folder that fixed it or the Themes/Modules/blockcategories folder that fixed it as I did them both at the same time.

Edit:

So I reverted back to 1.5.2 to try updating to 1.5.3 again to see if it changed anything. It didn't. I didn't have the expanding categories again. I couldn't get replacing the folders to work until I replaced the one in the Modules folder first and then the one in the Theme/modules folder second. That seemed to make it work. Strange.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the blockcategories folder in Modules and the one in the theme/default/modules folder, but it didn't work!

Also reinstall doesn't fix it.

Still no tree.

Did you try setting the number of expansion in the back office to a bigger number. I think I had to set it to 3 before the subcategories showed up.

There's no need to replace module as it has been already replaced during upgrade. All you need is to reset the module.

Enjoy :)

E: The only problem for me is that after reset, categories block in footer is now the last, on the right. How to place it as first block, on the left? Basicly the question is how to arrange modules in footer?

E2: I figured it out. You just have to open Modules -> Modules positions and arrange modules in Footer section.

Edited by Sharak (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in 1.5.3.1 and still having this issue. I've tried clearing cache, resetting the module and updating the files in both root and theme but to no avail. It seemed to just stop one day, I hadn't done anything to the site for a few days.

http://www.rockandstoneyork.co.uk/

I can see from the source code that the subcategories aren't even being generated. Please help.

I'm in 1.5.3.1 and still having this issue. I've tried clearing cache, resetting the module and updating the files in both root and theme but to no avail. It seemed to just stop one day, I hadn't done anything to the site for a few days.

http://www.rockandstoneyork.co.uk/

I can see from the source code that the subcategories aren't even being generated. Please help.

Can you get them to work with the default theme?

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried doing both those things again to no avail. And as mentioned previously the subcategories aren't even being generated if you look at the page source.

Could it be caused by something out of my control like a server update for instance?

Edited by TheRedFeathers (see edit history)