Prestashop 1.5 and many many bugs on categories

I'm using prestashop 1.5.2

In categories:

1. if you use a personal "Friendly URL", when you change some information, the "Friendly URL" is lost and replaced with a new one based on "Name"
  2. if you change some information, the image used to show the category is lost and not shown on the site.

I'm in big troubles now: I suggested to my company Prestashop, but the version 1.5 is really the worst software I use in more than 30 years of activity.

Really, I don't know how to communicate to my company that we must change because PS is absolutely shit.

And this are the daily problem. Nothing is done to fixe the dozen of other bugs.

I'm in big troubles now: I suggested to my company Prestashop

Really, I don't know how to communicate to my company that we must change because PS is absolutely shit.

I think your boss will see it differently. I.e. you have made a shitty recommendation. I would start looking for a new job.

unpolite?

this software must not be described as "stable"!

josecar, sorry but you're wrong.

simply, prestashop 1.5 (and 1.5.1 or 1.5.2) are NOT STABLE and not to be suggested for nothing else child plays!

Every software user knows that last versions are risky. The word 'stable' doesnt mean 'error proof', specially when the new version is a major overhaul of prior releases. I am installing a 1.5 shop now, and I know I will get through difficulties, but I'm prepared to accept them. Latest version usually means successive bugfix versions and patches, pal.

i am opening a new shop and it will be a big part of my monthly income. i could have gone with a 1.4.x install and had things up and running in a short space of time, but i decided to go with a 1.5.x install instead. its been 3 weeks now, and i still have bugs in the system and the shop is not live.

you dont hear me complaining about it.

i did my research and took the informed decision to go with 1.5.x as it would take even more development time to do the change over from 1.4.x to 1.5.x (new themes & modules being a big one).

why dont you just grow a pair and admit to your boss that you got it wrong and stop blaming a fantastic (even with the bugs) bit of free software that is new (due to the fundamental changes between 1.4 and 1.5), and will settle down over the next couple of months.

And the bugs would be fixed quicker if you tried to fix them and posted the solutions for everyone to benefit, rather than spending the time winging.

Our "old" shop was zencart.

We wish to go "a quantum leap" with prestashop.

But I worked on prestashop for about a month and every day I found bugs.

I have suggested prestashop. I'm responsible for this incredible situation. We can't open the new shop because, simply, prestashop 1.5.2 don't work.

Our "old" shop was zencart.

We wish to go "a quantum leap" with prestashop.

"a quantum leap" is not a meaningful description as goals of cart migration if you are talking to a technical audience. It may sound good (I doubt it) in a board meeting pitching an idea, not here.

But I worked on prestashop for about a month and every day I found bugs.

There are problems with the new versions of anything of PrestaShop magnitude. Count the number of files in the download zip and the number of lines in an average file, multiply to find the total number of lines. If there were not a lot of bugs before it was widely used in a multitide of settings then we would have to worship the guys who wrote it. Natural tendency of things is that there will be bugs.

Did you report those bugs BTW?

I have suggested prestashop. I'm responsible for this incredible situation.

When you were suggesting PrestaShop, did you tell the merchant if things were to go wrong you were going to seek solution in a volunteers forum?

We can't open the new shop because, simply, prestashop 1.5.2 don't work.

Another way putting it would be "I cannot make it work", because I have some shops running 1.5, I am sure there are others too. Yes, there are problems but that is the nature of things. When you are using someone else's code you should make a decision on how the handle the sutiations like the one you are in now. You can pick a support package, you can hire a developer or do it yourself. Make no mistake, you will need one of the above whichever package you choose.

Another, less reliable alternative is to depend on volunteer help in these forums. It may be slower, or less correct but you will get massive help around here if you don't call it shit.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I totally agree with the 1st post but, I deleted all default categories and tried to make new ones and for some reason they aren't displaying, true it's free however a lot of peolpe rely on open source for business ventures, i don't agree with the tone of voice or selection of words used however I too was hoping for the best with version 1.5, anyone have any ideas whats up with the category not displaying?? thanks!

• 1 month later...

Not that I totally agree with the 1st post but, I deleted all default categories and tried to make new ones and for some reason they aren't displaying, true it's free however a lot of peolpe rely on open source for business ventures, i don't agree with the tone of voice or selection of words used however I too was hoping for the best with version 1.5, anyone have any ideas whats up with the category not displaying?? thanks!

I agree completely. I worked hard on making Prestashop 1.4.9 compatible to my language and needs, and then 1.5 came out which is amazing theoretically, practically - it's a bit buggy.

I am having the same problem with categories, I add a new category, and it doesn't appear. Although when I add a new product, I can choose from the new category I made :unsure:

Help??