1.5 Upgrade or Fresh Install? What Is Better?

With so many bugs n complains about latest version, really scaring to upgrade to latest version. Currently we are using 1.3.3 so what will be better?

3 Options

1. To be on safer side by upgrading to 1.4.9

2. To upgarde to 1.5.2

3. To fresh install 1.5.2

I guess in OPTION 3, we will lose all existing customer, product database. Right? Plz guide. Thnx in advance!!!

+++++++++++++

Finally I decided to go for 1.5x and seems my search for skilled developer is finished.

Edited by Handcraft.co.in (see edit history)

If i have make decision i migrate to 1.5.

But i do this on one my shop and i prefer upgrade to 1.4 and after this make upgrade to 1.5

Whan i do upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5 direct upgrade was crash

I thing is better fight with presta than lost all acounts clients and reputation

I think your best bet is to do a manual update in a local installation, see what get's broken, redo the theme and do the same stept again agains the live server.

Tip: you can export the new theme with the modified modules and reimport them in the new live after the upgrade.

For the fixes, you'll mainly need to verify the accesss table, migrate the images to the new format and verify all the settings in the admin area.

PS: if you get sql errors in the upgrare process, save them and verify them with phpmyadmin or something similar.

PS2: to do a manual upgrade you overwrite the curent files with the new ones and go to /install/upgrade/upgrade.php - it will return a lot of xml stuff, read it and take note on what went wrong to correct manually.

I have done this successfully - from 1.3.1 to 1.5.

Edited by urecheatu007 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Right now, I still deploy shops with 1.4.9. Other than the pay pal module not working, it seems stable enough. I have a few high volume clients using it and it seems to actually be working better than 1.4.8.3.

So I would upgrade to 1.4.9 than to upgrade to 1.5.

• Like 1

With so many bugs n complains about latest version, really scaring to upgrade to latest version. Currently we are using 1.3.3 so what will be better?

3 Options

2. To upgarde to 1.5.2

I guess in OPTION 3, we will lose all existing customer, product database. Right? Plz guide. Thnx in advance!!!

I would definitely prefer to upgrade to 1.5

I've upgraded one of my shops from 1.4.8 by (script, 1-click upgrade messed up everything) and have not doubt 1.5 is a better choice.

But, it depends...

Wether you have any modules/customizations (not of them might work on 1.5)

You will have to modify your theme for 1.5

What i suggest you to do is try it out before you go... I.E.

Install and upgrade your existing shop on localhost.

About bugs... well there are plenty of bugs in 1.3 also )

Conclusion: At some point, You will have to upgrade to 1.5 anyway, so i suggest you to start now :)

About fresh install:

If you didn't modify your database manually and your database is clean then, i think, there is no need to do fresh install...

Edited by doubleD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not necessary, you can upgrade your database and then transfer customers, orders to fresh install...

But this option will be not the easy one

None of the 2.5 releases are stable. If 1.5.1 was stable there wouldn't be a 1.5.2 that has over 100 bug fixes..

Come'ON...

Read the CHANGELOG

over 100 bug fixes? really?

To Jesen:

I suggest you to upgrade, there are only minor fixes, mostly for backoffice

There is even only 1 sql query in upgrade...

I still stand for my advice. As for the stability of Prestashop 1.5, come on, you should try Magento to see some ugly bugs. Prestashop is about the best opensource cart available, and the only one with supplier / stock management done right.

Ofcourse there are things missing, features incomplete, bugs and so on, but you must take into account the whole picture.

Back to your problem at hand.

You will have to redo the theme in either case (1.4 / 1.5). You will need to verify / upgrade / replace modules in either case.

There is no magic wand, not in the web app world.

In conclusion, your best bet is to go directly to 1.5, manual upgrade in localhost, do what is needed to make the store work correctly and replicate the steps on the live server (preferably some time during the early hours of the night when the traffic is minimal on your site.)

Take into account that you can export the new theme with the modules from the localhost install and import them directly after the upgrade.

Also you can write down the sql queries needed to correct the database after the eventual errors and run them from phpmyadmin.

If you need modification to core stuff, you have the override system. Use it! and copy them to live after the upgrade.

If you follow my steps you should be allright and the actual upgrade on the live site should take somewhere in the 15-30 minutes interval.

Tip: do not forget to migrate/regenerate the images on the live server and verify settings!!!!

Magento the most people speek is the best etc i see and nerver i chose magento.

Use lot of resources and i see when magentoo kill Dedicated Server but i work on Presta i have VPS with Postfix DNS etc and all is worked nice and apache inside ;)

Not necessary, you can upgrade your database and then transfer customers, orders to fresh install...

But this option will be not the easy one

This is not necessary.. You can back up your data and then install it the way you like (basically the way is possible :P)

3 Options

2. To upgarde to 1.5.2

I would suggest to create a beta subdomain - something like beta.your-eshop.com

Then copy your current eshop there (+DB) and try to upgrade to 1.5.2

This way you can try the whole process without any risk. If everything goes well you just do the same process on your main domain your-eshop.com

• Like 1

3 Options

2. To upgarde to 1.5.2

My suggestion:

• Create a complete working test shop of your production shop.
  • back up your test stie
  • then practice your upgrade to 1.5.2

this takes the guessing out

• Like 1

I still have doubts on 1.5.2 on upgrade procedure. I tried upgrade from 1.4.x to 1.5.8,1.5.17,1.5.1 and had a bad experience. I tried upgrade paths just to retain the customers data but all the time something wrong happened. So finally planned to sync the db table by table and converted my shop from 1.4.9 to 1.5.17 then to 1.5.1 and now on 1.5.2. In manually upgrading my shop from 1.4.9 to 1.5.17 I was able to retain my customers data and everything but customers passwords were not working anymore and they had to go through forgot password option to generate new passwords. Luckily I didn't had much customers at that time but I cannot take this risk now.

Anyway there is big difference between 1.3.x and 1.5.2 in terms of modules and coding. If you are using core prestashop modules then better upgrade to 1.4.9 and stay there for awhile, test if everything is working fine and wait till 1.5.x 1-click upgrade stabilizes and then turn your shop to 1.5.x via upgrade.

If you are using custom modules and have some extra coding in the core files then better make a test site and play directly on 1.5.x.

1.5.2 feels far stable for those who are already on 1.5.x. For the ones who are on 1.3.x or 1.4.x, I will say wait for some more time if you already have a big customer database.

hello again, if you want to use 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 in production it is up to you, but have a look on the forge before... still more than 500 bugs to fix.. i won't call that a Stable release, right ?

1.4.9 is having some issues but it works fine.. otherwise i use 1.4.5.1 on few websites.. and i think this is one of the best release for production.

Best Regards,

Zen

Interesting.....well if I get good capable developer then only I will go for 1.5x else it seems risky as of now. I have many things customized so upgrading to 1.4x is also going to become headache for me so thought to go for 1.5x. But need to reconsider my decision coz as shop owner, i must concentrate more on sell than bugs. Right??

Thanks to all who gave valuable suggestions.

I like El Patrons idea, however, I would go with 1.4.9 instead of jumping to 1.5

Set up a development environment, either a local wamp or a cheap hosting, make backups of your working site files and database, restore them to the development area, and then perform the upgrade in development. Make sure it all works, then back *that* up, back up your live site again, install the newly developed site in production..tada.. you could even try the 1.5 upgrade in development as well to see if you like it and if it upgrades smoothly if you want the newest version.. I prefer to stay a few back and let the bugs get worked out before I run with it.

Good Luck!!

if you have a base test shop to play with you can try any number of versions...doesn't matter..otherwise you and anyone else is just guessing..

but you should compare your test site files to an upacked native ps of the same version. Because who remembers what hacks they or someone else did...and this my community friends is typically why one-click upgrade fails...user modified ps...remove any hacks possible...go as vanilla as humany possible. This forum would be dead if not for all the hacked ps shops out there.

suerte!

True but as I mentioned I am store owner n not developer so to play with 1.5x I will need some expert developer. If everyday I have to play with bugs then it will shift my focus from selling to bugs. Right Elaptron??

if you have a base test shop to play with you can try any number of versions...doesn't matter..otherwise you and anyone else is just guessing..

but you should compare your test site files to an upacked native ps of the same version. Because who remembers what hacks they or someone else did...and this my community friends is typically why one-click upgrade fails...user modified ps...remove any hacks possible...go as vanilla as humany possible. This forum would be dead if not for all the hacked ps shops out there.

suerte!

3 Options

2. To upgarde to 1.5.2

Hi,

I had presta 1.1 and it worked fine, but I noticed the need, after a couple of years, of "fresh gear" to my site.

So I tried the update version, it didn't work.

The remaining choice was to fresh instal presta 1.5.1 (later easy update to 1.5.2). I had the customers saved and imported with a module. If you need it, i can share it ( Export des Clients v0.1).

I installed presta 1.5.1 and then i entered manually all my products again... Only the custumers remained in the new shop from the old one.

Best regards!

• Like 1

Seems best reply coz you have experienced it............will need your help. You are shop owner or developer??

Hi,

I had presta 1.1 and it worked fine, but I noticed the need, after a couple of years, of "fresh gear" to my site.

So I tried the update version, it didn't work.

The remaining choice was to fresh instal presta 1.5.1 (later easy update to 1.5.2). I had the customers saved and imported with a module. If you need it, i can share it ( Export des Clients v0.1).

I installed presta 1.5.1 and then i entered manually all my products again... Only the custumers remained in the new shop from the old one.

Best regards!

I tryed prestashop manager from magneticone to import products from my 1.4.9 shop, I see the products in the manager, but in BO the products don't have images and are on visible on front office neither can be indexed for seach...it's like they don't exist.

Anybody has a solution for importing products?

And about bugs...I got a lot

I tryed prestashop manager from magneticone to import products from my 1.4.9 shop, I see the products in the manager, but in BO the products don't have images and are on visible on front office neither can be indexed for seach...it's like they don't exist.

Anybody has a solution for importing products?

And about bugs...I got a lot

Hello, Mobilafitness!

Store Manager for PrestaShop is fully compatible with PrestaShop versions 1.4.x and 1.5.x, so the products should be reflected correctly. There may be the issue with your template or incorrect upgrade of shopping cart which resulted in inability to see the data.

In any case, please, contact our support team - http://www.prestashopmanager.com/support-center/contact-us so we could check the issue for you.

Waiting to hear from you soon!

• Like 1

I tryed fresh install of 1.4.9, 1.5.1, 1.5.2 and importing products with Store Manager for PrestaShop, on local and online server with no success, the products are importing, but the images just for 50% of them and having problems indexing. Store Manager for PrestaShop is a very good program I used it often in 1.4.9, but I always fail when moving products to other store. Anyway I will make a report. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I decided NOT to go for 1.5x till it becomes really stable. But if in case I have to go for it, any idea from where can I find capable n skilled developer who can take my shop from 1.3.3 to 1.5x ???

Contact @9828083357 Based out of India