1.5 major issues

So I upgraded my site to 1.5...

Having some major problems.

1) The entire centre column (or what should be there) does not show up on any page. Even the contact page is broken

2) I have installed a new theme (built for ps1.5) and it seems to have installed properly, but it does not show up in Preferences > Themes

I'm not sure what to even attempt right now... it's too late to do an auto rollback (I have everything backed up manually of course). I don't want to leave the site down too long, so I am hoping someone can help me work on these issues tonight...

I have made sure to disable caching, etc, to make sure I am viewing the latest version of the site.

Back to running 1.2.x from a backup from last week... so I lost records of all those sales... well let's hope I can get my 1.4.9 backup working at least! I hope someone can help!

Last week? It's a very basic thing to make a current backup before trying to upgrade anything. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Last week? It's a very basic thing to make a current backup before trying to upgrade anything. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how helpful that is, but as I had mentioned in the first post, I have a backup of 1.4.9.0. It isn't working though. For some reason when I restore the database, some tables are missing.

So something really screwed up with the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4, because while the site was working fine, the backup (a pure mysqldump) is missing data.

Nice suggestion though. I'm sure if I was a complete idiot that could go back in time, it would have been really helpful.

A method I'd suggest to minimize production site downtime:

• recreate your production site into a test site. Use a subdomain name or a spare domain name.
  • Back up your test system.
  • Try various upgrade methods until you find one that works for you
  • Make sure to understand which 3rd party modules are 1.5 compliant and take appropriate action. I'd suggest at minimum disabling them before upgrading.
  • Then when you have your test cutovers figured out back up your production and cutover

and use phpmyadmin export your back mysql and ftp for your root files...as good as PrestaShop is why re-invent the wheel.

Edited by elpatron (see edit history)

Well, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one having issues.

I've got 2 major ones.

1. On the 1 click upgrade I keep getting Ajax errors (500 Internal Server Error) in the upgrading details box

2. I managed to upgrade (with no 500 errors) twice however both times it said there were major errors and I should restore!

There were major errors too as the back office layout was all wrong.

I restored and low and behold it crashed with a 500 error again. Thankfully it was nearly finished so I just did a manual reinstall of the database which sorted it (both times)

I'm not really into manual upgrades because a) it takes ages to upload/download files via FTP and b ) I don't know how to import all my data into the new database.

1 Click upgrade could do with being more than experimental. Magento seem to have their upgrades sorted!

Any suggestions please.

Edited by itcwebman (see edit history)

So something really screwed up with the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4, because while the site was working fine, the backup (a pure mysqldump) is missing data.

I would not recommend any merchant to attempt a multi version upgrade, as is in this case, unless they are intimately familiar with the inner workings of the old and the new versions and has programming and DB experience. Instead you should seek professional advice.

Note that this is not a short coming of PS. Since initial install many modification may have been done and an auto upgrade process cannot cater for everything. On an upgrade by upgrade basis a qualified person must inspect modifications; DB schemas etc and make an upgrade plan.

And of course, if you insist to do it yourself, as already mentioned, duplicate the running shop and experiment there. If everything works satisfactorily then backup the running instance AND confirm backup's fidelity by restoring from it. Only after then attempt an upgrade. Anything different will end up in tears.

Sadly, at the state you shop is in now (i.e. failed 1.5 upgrade of a failed 1.4 upgrade from 1.2), it is unlikely that any help can be provided via a forum post.

Oh, and please learn to edit your previous posts rather than making a series of posts in the same thread. It just clutters the thread. First seven posts in this thread belongs to you.

Edited by phrasespot (see edit history)

hello

I got the below error when trying a manual upgrade:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/e25oakw/public_html/1.5/install/upgrade/php/add_default_restrictions_modules_groups.php on line 43

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/e25oakw/public_html/1.5/install/upgrade/php/add_default_restrictions_modules_groups.php:43) in /home/e25oakw/public_html/1.5/install/upgrade/upgrade.php on line 419

Now the page says fail whenever you load it

I managed to get my manual upgrade to work even though it says 'fail'.

However it is missing some info:

> there is no dashboard - it says controller AdminHome is missing although the folder is there in FTP

> I get a http 500 error when trying to access modules.

Can someone help please

Edit:

Fixed the modules problem, it seems some files were missing on FTP, uploaded them and working fine.

Just the home error now :(

Lowlight,

You have discovered the unfortunate truth about much of the PS forum these days. Total silence until they see an opportunity for a cheap one liner. Not very helpful. It hasn't always been like that. There are some good Moderators and other users who offer intelligent help.

Having said that, the title of this thread says it all. My advise is to stay with what you have (or, if possible, get 1.4.9 working as I have done). Wait till the dust settles and some of the bugs have been ironed out.

I think PS may have over-stepped themselves. I got an email from them today saying how important it is to look after existing customers (they also suggested half dozen paid modules I could buy to hep the customer retention in my store - how thoughtful!).

It appears in their excitement over the new technology in 1.5 they have not done enough work to ensure their existing clientele (who have the biggest stake) are able to make the transitiion.

Hang in there and do you best to get to 1.4.9. It is possible as I have done it.

Edited by David @ gfe. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Having said that, the title of this thread says it all. My advise is to stay with what you have (or, if possible, get 1.4.9 working as I have done)

Yeah, I haven't had one useful reply to a post about 1.5 yet. You're lucky to even have 1.4.9 working. Loads of developers have skipped module upgrades for 1.4.9 and gone straight to 1.5 which is useless as 1.5 uses different schemas.

It appears in their exitement over the new technology in 1.5 they have not done enough work to ensure their existing clientele (who have the biggest stake) are able to make the transitiion.

I couldn't agree more. I've just had a email announcing the release of 1.5 for global use. Do they realise that they're emailing an existing customer!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only interested if I can upgrade (which I can't).

Yeah, I haven't had one useful reply to a post about 1.5 yet. You're lucky to even have 1.4.9 working. Loads of developers have skipped module upgrades for 1.4.9 and gone straight to 1.5 which is useless as 1.5 uses different schemas.

I think your statement is unfair to the community and the other disparages are wrong. The amount of time people spend helping each other on this forum is very good. But there is always the 5%.

I take offense to it too. We don't get paid to help people here. We do it because we are nice.

As for the skipping of 1.4.9 support. I would be willing to be that about 90% of modules natively work in it. It hasn't been changed that much from 1.4.8.2.

Well, I'm sorry, but why is it that 85% of my questions never get answered? I'm not trying to abuse the forum, I'm just remarking on my experiance. Perhaps my questions are too difficult.

I've tried to help other people....

As for the skipping of 1.4.9 support. I would be willing to be that about 90% of modules natively work in it.

I agree, however 2 of my major modules don't work and also my current theme. When I asked the developer about the theme, they said they had tested on 1.4.9 and it works fine, however I couldn't get it to work.

I agree with elpatron. There is some fantastic support given in these forums by all kinds of people willing to give their time to see Prestashop succeed. But, lets be real. So, far, this thread has not been what lowlight might have hoped for. No one has been able to offer Lowlight with any solution to his two questions. Phrasepot provides excellent support in these forums, but why is this the first time we are reading such important information as the following,

"I would not recommend any merchant to attempt a multi version upgrade, as is in this case, unless they are intimately familiar with the inner workings of the old and the new versions and has programming and DB experience. Instead you should seek professional advice."

It's to be expected that people would vent their frustrations once in a while. Many of us depend on our online store to earn a living.

Edited by David @ gfe. (see edit history)