How to get from 1.4.6.2 to current

When I go to the Modules tab, or try to, I get some idiot useless error message about an internal server error with no detail, so I cannot even add a module.

Despite being well past 1.4.4, there is no Upgrade under the Tool tab at all.

We're close to getting this thing live and I don't want to do that and then have to shut it down to get it updated.

Some help would be appreciated.

Ross

the error message is the key to finding your problem. Upgrading will make little different. Can you access you sever error log and provide the error message detail?

also you can try this, sometimes 500 errors will display this way.

Change config/coinfig.inc.php

@ini_set('display_errors', 'off');

to

@ini_set('display_errors', 'on');

then navigate to where you see this error occur

in any case...you need to provide a detailed error message...

Edited by elpatron (see edit history)

Thank you ElPatron. I made the change you recommended in the thread and now get an actual error message. What to do with it remains a mystery.

Fatal error

: Class GridExtJS contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (ModuleGridEngineCore::setLimit) in

/hermes/bosweb/web181/b1812/nf.rchevalier/public_html/kingscross.ca/onlinestore/modules/gridextjs/gridextjs.php

on line

Thank you ElPatron. I made the change you recommended in the thread and now get an actual error message. What to do with it remains a mystery.

Fatal error

: Class GridExtJS contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (ModuleGridEngineCore::setLimit) in

/hermes/bosweb/web181/b1812/nf.rchevalier/public_html/kingscross.ca/onlinestore/modules/gridextjs/gridextjs.php

on line

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFI-1175

and please note that 1.4.6.2 is a great release. there are many threads about how much slower later releases from here are. I run 1.4.6.2 on our shop and it works great...

i agree with this. one approach to use, instead of upgrading, if you know there is a problem with your current version, do a comparison of the current code to the new code in v1.4.8.2 and apply the changes as a patch.

personally I have upgraded to v1.4.8.2 and its working ok, but I have made several performance improvements to my store to rectify the issues elaptron refers to

Thanks everybody for the input. Bellini, if I could, would you mind briefly going over some of the main performance issues with the later releases. This would certainly help us in changing the upcoming versions. If you have already, just let me know again. I will direct it again to the development team. Thank you!

-Benjamin

hi Benjamin, I had detailed some of the improvements in a post related to "Time to First Byte" which can be found here

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/160948-time-to-first-byte-too-long

From memory, the changes I made that help with my performance issues are below.

• defining indexes on database columns that are used in where clauses or left joins.
  • removing module hook entries for disabled or uninstalled modules. it seems that even though modules were not enabled, their hooks were executed regardless. most modules do not check if they are 'active', and execute anyway and their output was somehow ignored
  • altering the usage of Tools::displayError function calls. There are many instances where this function call is used to translate UI text, and there are no translations defined so the output just defaults to the input. Two things, first I believe this is not the correct function to use for translating text, and second for stores with a single language, it is unnecessary overhead.
  • Enabling gzip compression and http keep alive connections (not a prestashop issue)
  • Altering the mysql configuration settings (not a prestashop issue)
  • disabling memcache and file system cache. while it is supposed to help with performance, i found that it always caused issues. The performance increase was not that significant to risk the obscure issues it created. This could be a problem with how prestashop implements the caching, or it could be the version of php, memcache or memcached.

• Like 1

ElPatron,

Thank you for the Forge link. Deleting the directory for the offending module did the trick as noted and I can now at least see and work with modules.

I now get a new error message and would appreciate any guidance on where I go to do what it asks.

All modules cannot be loaded due to memory limit restriction please increase your memory_limit on your server

configuration.

I also accept your guidance to stick with 1.4.6.2 since it works

Ross

ElPatron,

Thank you for the Forge link. Deleting the directory for the offending module did the trick as noted and I can now at least see and work with modules.

I now get a new error message and would appreciate any guidance on where I go to do what it asks.

All modules cannot be loaded due to memory limit restriction please increase your memory_limit on your server

configuration.

I also accept your guidance to stick with 1.4.6.2 since it works

Ross

re, memory, if you do not know how to raise your memory limit, contact your hosting provider. There are loads of threads on this topic on PrestaShop as well. Another option is to open another thread on this problem providing hosting provider name and package.

as for upgrading, the real point is you would not have necessarily fixed your original problem(s). PrestaShop is rock solid on pretty much every release. 1.4.6.2 is a great release....it's best to just get over the little hurdles you have and get to selling. :)

adding the gzip was the best bang change...and remember back up back up back up

happy PrestaShopping

• Like 1