Double override

Radu

assuming you do not try to override the same functions, that should work ok.

you would really be better off to fail during the module install, and provide a message to the user as to why it failed. then offer to merge the files together properly.

This for us seems one of the rather larger issues we face today as module developers.

assuming you do not try to override the same functions, that should work ok.

you would really be better off to fail during the module install, and provide a message to the user as to why it failed. then offer to merge the files together properly.

We are for one not terribly comfortable with existing override handling in prestashop.

For example: module (1) is installed,

Creates a backup of the original override

Then either modifies an existing ovrerride or copies in it's override.

Module (2) is installed and creates it's own back up and override.

Customer then decides to upgrarde or remove Module(1) via uninstall

Module (1) doesn't know that it's backup of the override is now out of date, i.e. uninstall will copy it's original backup of the override and replace the product version.

Module (2) is now malformed.

You can program a lot of stop logic into Module 1, but you have no control over Module 2's logic.

if you could use overrides with different names than the parent, most of the install/uninstall problems would be resolved. This doesn't keep one from messing up another modules override but at least makes load/fallback easier.

For example: You could then have an override fille named

ConfigurationMyModule

that:

class Configuration extends ConfigurationCore

• 6 months later...

Thank you for replies, for some reason I wasn't receiving updates of the post, I changed the setting accordingly now.

Still not perfect but in presta 1.5 the merging is done automatically if the modules don't override the same method.

I guess the hooks especially dynamic hooks are a good solution, for now dynamic hooks are at their beginning.

Anyway it really depends on the module but I too don't feel comfortable to override a method especially it's a big chunk of code making it very probable other module will overwrite it.

Elpatron,

For your modules do you offer an automatically way to merge the overrides?

Thank you for replies, for some reason I wasn't receiving updates of the post, I changed the setting accordingly now.

Still not perfect but in presta 1.5 the merging is done automatically if the modules don't override the same method.

I guess the hooks especially dynamic hooks are a good solution, for now dynamic hooks are at their beginning.

Anyway it really depends on the module but I too don't feel comfortable to override a method especially it's a big chunk of code making it very probable other module will overwrite it.

Elpatron,

For your modules do you offer an automatically way to merge the overrides?

\

I looked at merging...but now I just avoid overrides at all costs. I've rewritten my modules to remove overrides where ever possible.

Elpatron,

thank you for your answer, I was checking the traits but I don't see how it can help, basically traits are same methods shared by multiple classes.

for presta we search to override same method by multiple times

Still hooks/some similar mechanism to alter function output/return values like "filters" I saw a similar system for shopware ecommerce engine. They had hooks and filters

Maybe I don't see all the details...