Website hanging in Internet Explorer 8

IE, the black sheep of the browser family...

You will likely have to use process of elimination to find the cause.

Here's how I would go about it.

1) Switch to default theme, and see if the issue persists.

2) Disable any 3rd party module that you installed, or built in modules you modified.

3) Disable and modifications you made to the site.

Let us know if you see a change

What version of PS are you using?

Were there any code modifications done?

Are you sure you disabled all the modules that get hooked in the product page?

It must be something you added (to your theme or a module) that makes IE crazy on the product page.

Not that I am aware of. You can remove all the modules from the /modules folder and see if the product page works, if it does, start adding them one by one until you find the culprit.

I'll give that a shot.

I am running IE 9.0.8112.16421 and it loads fine for me. Are you using ie 8? I know that version of prestashop has issues with ie and and the cookie interface.

Is there a workaround for the cookie interface?

You cannot really switch away from ie. This is a horrible comparison, but it is like saying lets not have "insert minority" customers anymore. IE still represents between 20 to 80% market share depending on your geolocation. China has the highest rate, the US and Europe have lower rates. But it is still stupid to not support 20% of a customer base. 5% has been my standard for no longer supporting people.

Plus at the same time IE usage always rises with the release of new windows version. This one is supposed to be a "game changer" so I would figure IE will gain some market share back when windows 8 officially launches.

You cannot really switch away from ie. This is a horrible comparison, but it is like saying lets not have "insert minority" customers anymore. IE still represents between 20 to 80% market share depending on your geolocation. China has the highest rate, the US and Europe have lower rates. But it is still stupid to not support 20% of a customer base. 5% has been my standard for no longer supporting people.

Plus at the same time IE usage always rises with the release of new windows version. This one is supposed to be a "game changer" so I would figure IE will gain some market share back when windows 8 officially launches.

I know, it's just wishful thinking B). You'd be amazed at some of the IE-specific questions we get here.

-Mike

I would suggest if you can upgrade to the latest stable release

As per my "no documentation policy" :(, upgrading will be a hassle (until I realize how to override classes, etc.).

As to installing the latest release alongside this one and just having a re-direct to the sub directory -- anything that I should know about, if I wanted to test the latest version? Any path settings, etc?

My guess would be the law. MS had that whole anti-trust thing. Before that IE was pulling 80 to 90% market share. After the anti-trust settlement it has been slowly declining. Chrome will end up being the standard pc browser until google goes through an anti-trust issues. It is just not logical that one company can be the best in every area of the market, but google has the whole internet covered.

Try using the site with IE 9 and seeing if it works like you are expecting it to work. The thing is when a bug gets fixed, the fix is added to the new version. You might try selectively upgrading your site.The best solution would be to set up a test environment and see how bad your site breaks with a complete install of a new version. I would do it in a different directory and using a new database and start migrating modules and overrides one by one..