brand / model

Hi,

for a website selling cell phone accessories, I'd like to know whether it is possible to ask for each customer:

1) to select the brand of his cell

2) one the brand is selected, he should choose his model within the list of models of the selected brand

Like blackberry -> Curve 8529

I think this is doable.

Now, the benefit would be to hide in the catalog all the products not links to this brand...

It would require:

1) the association between each product with one or several models

2) an update of the catalog in order to filter the product according to the customer cell phone model

Is it feasible out of the box? I'm pretty sure it's not, as per my first investigation on the demo website.

if not, any component available for that?

or is it possible to update the code easily for that?

I have good php knowledge.

I have not even installed PS (I am still trying to decide between PS and magento), but this is really important for my first website.

thanks a lot!

Rod

Hi,

for a website selling cell phone accessories, I'd like to know whether it is possible to ask for each customer:

1) to select the brand of his cell

2) one the brand is selected, he should choose his model within the list of models of the selected brand

Like blackberry -> Curve 8529

I think this is doable.

Now, the benefit would be to hide in the catalog all the products not links to this brand...

It would require:

1) the association between each product with one or several models

2) an update of the catalog in order to filter the product according to the customer cell phone model

Is it feasible out of the box? I'm pretty sure it's not, as per my first investigation on the demo website.

if not, any component available for that?

or is it possible to update the code easily for that?

I have good php knowledge.

I have not even installed PS (I am still trying to decide between PS and magento), but this is really important for my first website.

thanks a lot!

Rod

Hi webrod,

Check out this module. I think it will be just what you're looking for!

Let me know if that helps.

-Mike

Hi webrod,

Check out this module. I think it will be just what you're looking for!

Let me know if that helps.

-Mike

hi Mike,

thanks for your answer.

by reading the description, I am not 100% sure.

because it speaks a lot about category.

Just to clarify my need.

The category shall remains as they are.

For instance I have a category "battery", another category "screen protection".

So products belong to one category (like battery), while they are associated to several "models".

When a customer goes to the website he sees the 2 categories with all the products (at that stage really ALL the products).

Then somewhere in the home page there is a means for him to select his brand/model (if he wants).

Then the customer still sees the 2 categories, but when he navigates within the catalog, he only see the products compatible with his selected model.

is it exactly what this module does??

If yes, I will be REALLY HAPPY!! BTW the cost is cheap.

thanks for the confirmation

Rod

Hi webrod,

I will not pretend to be an expert on software and modules not developed internally by our team. HOWEVER, I can tell you that the developer of this module (or at least a member of the development team) is an active member of the community here, so he would be the best person to give you a direct answer.

I will let him know that you have some questions about this module and direct him back to this thread. If you don't hear from him in the next 24 hours, let me know by PM and I will try another method of reaching him.

Thanks,

Mike

@webrod

You are right. My module requires you to set up your manufacturers as categories in order for it to work. I could add the option to start the first level as manufacturers and then start the second level as the first level of categories that have products from the selected manufacturer in them. Would that do what you want? Adding a separate UI that lets you link manufacturers to model numbers would be a lot of work.

Hi Rocky,

if I understood correctly, PS allows only 2 levels of category. It cannot be more.

I need those 2 levels to allow a good search of products in the web site.

That's why I don't think I can reuse the categories for anything else.

I give you an example of website:

https://www.majesticmodifications.com/

You should see the categories:

"Interior accessories"

"Exterior accessories"

"Performance accessories"

If I select "Interior accessories", I have the subcategories:

"aluminium floor mat"

"dash trim kits"

This is the basic navigation throught the products (which I can do with PS).

Now the seller added exactly what I want on the top right.

Here you can select the vehicle (Make/Model/Year).

In my case, it's only 2 levels, but it does not matter.

When you select the vehicle, it does not change the horizontal navigation.

it justs filter the products.

So I guess:

1) products are assigned to categorie(s) <= this is the standard behavior of PS

2) products are assigned to vehicules for compatibility purpose <= this is what I am looking for

3) then the catalog filter the products accordingly once the user has selected his vehicle

I am looking for 2 and 3.

Is it something I can do with your module?

or other module? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Rod

I think you have misunderstood. PrestaShop lets you have an unlimited number of category levels. It isn't limited to just two levels.

PrestaShop lets you assign a product to categories, a single manufacturer and a single supplier. I think that should let you do what you want.

I think you have misunderstood. PrestaShop lets you have an unlimited number of category levels. It isn't limited to just two levels.

OK sorry, I just tested the admin interface a bit further right now, and yes there are unlimited levels of sub categories. I'm really new with PS.

On another hand, I still do not see how it can help.

You say:

PrestaShop lets you assign a product to categories, a single manufacturer and a single supplier. I think that should let you do what you want.

Categories is OK to navigate throught the web site.

So you can see products within a specific category.

Manufactures and supplier is just for information purpose.

It can be used also to search products of a specific manufacturer or supplier, for sure, but it has nothing to do with my need right?

My need is about "filtering" products of the catalog (hidding some products according to a user selection.

This is an additional means to find a product.

First you see only compatible products with for instance your car, then maybe you search a product manufactured by GOODYEAR for instance. Maybe not. At least when you navigate through the catalog (ie the cat/sub categories), you only see products compatible with your car. Which is quite important. You don't loose time with products not compatible... because some products manufactured by GOODYEAR are maybe not compatible with my car.

In my need, one product is compatible to several "make/model" (like a specific tyre compatible with several cars).

And "make/model" is a tree, not 2 separate attributes.

So the fact that one product is manufactured by "X" has nothing to do with the fact that this product is compatible with (make/model) "A/B","A/D", "B,F", "B,Z"...

Did you check the website?

My question about your module is still valid, not sure yet whether it can help.

thanks a lot

Rod

Rocky, thanks for stopping by, even if this didn't end up being the right module for Rod's purposes.

As for Steph's suggestion, it looks like it could definitely be adapted for your purposes, I would definitely check it out and mess with the demo to learn more about its functionality.

Let me know if that works for you, so I can mark this as solved!

-Mike

As for Steph's suggestion, it looks like it could definitely be adapted for your purposes, I would definitely check it out and mess with the demo to learn more about its functionality.

Let me know if that works for you, so I can mark this as solved!

-Mike

unfortunatelly, both modules are really nice, and I would probably use them.

But for another need.

Not for this one.

So I'm still looking for the miracle module :rolleyes:

Again, the need is not to do a search like Amazon, it's more a specific filtering for website selling accessories.

So the user needs to select his car (or cell phone if I am selling cell phone accessories), this should filter the products when I navigate through the categories. Then when I am in a category, if I want I can also filter the products with module like "Advanced search" (per manufacturer, range of price, and so on).

So it's more about "compatibility" first, then doing a search within compatible products.

I gave a link to a web site for the example.

Thanks for your help.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Hopefully, the third time is the charm :P Let me know if this module is a little more like what you're looking for: http://addons.prestashop.com/en/search-filter/2418-filter-products.html

-Mike

;)

I did check their web site example (http://www.tiendacartucho.es/)

The selection is what I am looking for, because the second select depends of the first one, and the third one of the second one.

This is a hierarchical select. And I think its not based on categories. Good

BUT, the output is not what I am looking for at all :(

It displays all the compatible products once.

So it's more a "search" feature.

What I am looking for is just to hide the products not compatible from the catalog.

So when I navigate through the catalog (cat and sub cat), I only see

product compatible, then I can do a search if I need for instance for a specific brand and so on.

According to what I see in my investigations, I think it does not exist :-(

I will do it and sell it on your store, so I will become rich :lol:

No seriously, I think there is a misunderstanding between for instance, the fact that a product has a brand/model, and the fact that I am talking about filtering by brand/model of something that is compatible with a product.

So 2 concepts of brand/model.

For instance If I go on a shop to buy accessories for my cellphone.

For instance a memory card compatible with my cell phone (in term of limit of size which I don't kow).

on the web site I will see the following categories:

+ Screens

+ power supply

+ battery

+ memory card

First of all, even before I click to any category, I want to be sure that the products I will see are compatible with my cell phone.

So I should have the possibility to select the brand/model of my cellphone (not of the product I am looking for):

brand: Blackberry

model: curve 9300

Now I'm safe, I can visit the web site.

If I select the "battery" category, then I will only see baterries comaptible with my cell phone. Same if I go now to the "memory card" category.

Now I can use any of the module that we've seen in this thread to find the best product, like filtering with the manufacturer of the product this time (not of my cell phone) (like sandisk), the size (32go), the price etc.

Then I will see in one page, all the products of the specific category, that match the filter.

It looks that I will be the first PrestaShop seller selling accessories, so the first having this specific need :rolleyes:

Anyway, I will investigate a bit further this last module, I will discuss with teh developper to see if it can be updated that way.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks

Rod

• 2 months later...

Hi adibranch,

I just spoke with a member of our Addons team, and usually when this happens it is because the developer is in the process of updating their module. Since it's been a while since I recommended it to you, I'm not sure when exactly it went down, but hopefully it should be back up and running soon!

-Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i wanted to warn everyone about vehiclefits.

The module may work on magento, but the port to prestashop does not work at all, and i have not received a working copy of the software, the free installation or anything since paying for the addon.

I have mailed them repeatedly for 2 weeks with no response, and probably no hope of getting my money back.

If anyone is able to tell me which module to use for make/model id really appreciate it, and if this post saves one person from losing their money to vehiclefits then it was worth typing it.

• 7 months later...