CHMOD'ing all those folders takes forever!

When installing PrestaShop, it is required that you CHMOD 777 many, many folders. This takes hours, mostly because of the "/modules" folder and how every folder in it must be recursivly CHMOD'ed. I thought that my FTP software would CHMOD all folders inside a folder automatically, but it does not; I have to open each and every folder and do it manually. Surely I must be doing something wrong.

Help!

(I use Dreamweaver.)

Even though it says to CHMOD to 777, if everything works, don't change anything. Newer servers are ok with the default CHMODs. Changing to 777 can create a security issue. (read this somewhere before I installed, didn't CHMOD any files and all works fine.)

• 3 months later...

I couldn't find any information on this, but you can set all the required folders to 'write' permissions ("CHMOD 777") with this command from your command line:

chmod 777 config tools/smarty/compile tools/smarty/cache tools/smarty_v2/compile tools/smarty_v2/cache sitemap.xml log

For the folders which need to have 'write' permissions recursively (to their subfolders), thanks to the -R in the command:

chmod -R 777 img mails modules themes/prestashop/lang themes/prestashop/cache translations upload download

I don't know the answer to your question about the module folders, but the above should cut down the time spent CHMODding.

the module folder needs to be writable, since using the back office you can install modules from the module section, the server needs to be able to write to the module folder.

Also, some modules write their configuration (not many) and also may have translations that need to be updated from the back office.

Thanks for clarifying that. The module should probably be included in the "folders that need to be CHMOD'ded 777" during the install process, right? I guess if you don't install modules through the back office it might not be needed though...

When installing PrestaShop, it is required that you CHMOD 777 many, many folders. This takes hours, mostly because of the "/modules" folder and how every folder in it must be recursivly CHMOD'ed. I thought that my FTP software would CHMOD all folders inside a folder automatically, but it does not; I have to open each and every folder and do it manually. Surely I must be doing something wrong.<br/><br/>Help! <br/><br/>(I use Dreamweaver.)

Hello,

You can use Filezilla as the FTP client, so you will not need to do each directory at a time. You can CHMOD all at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...