Do not upgrade to 1.4!

I lost all of my seo work, now I'm on like page 8 on google.
My website is a mess, customers can't order because modules won't work, and the worst part is, there's no way to change all of this. I did something with friendly url and htaccess, and boom, now even if I get those back to default, it will stay the same.
So don't upgrade, seriously, trust me, you'll regret.

Thank you. All the commotion on the forum held me back. I was salivating during the RC, can't wait for final release. I will be wait patiently.

You are welcome ;)
However, from what I've read, it seems that the problem has some connection with upgrading only, and not with fresh installs.

Hi.

J.Monb, what do you mean by SEO work? Like the meta tags, desc, keywords, etc?

I did a test update on one of my test servers... well 2. The windows machine failed majorily in that you couldn't add to the cart. However, the linux version seems to be all up and running. We still have a mountain to climb to get all of our other modules up to date (compatible) and a new theme ready.

I'm just curious because before we fully commit I want to be aware of every issue that might exist esp. for upgrades. Honestly, I haven't delved much into the SEO aspects of our update... so please let us know of the specifics of your issue.

Thanks!

I upgraded my live site with no problems at all. Didnt loose any SEO and infact gained places on SERPs. Apart from a few non-default modules that need updating everything works fine. Even updated my theme to be v1.4 compatible which took a few hours.

Well day 3 and still down
No customers, Dmoz failed us, google slipping away, google shopping dropped us, modules not working correctly, returns policy etc just goes to home page so makes us ILLEGAL.
A nightmare and worst of all no help at all from prestashop, they ignore posts.
Seems some may have gone alright on upgrade but a huge amount of people having major issues.
STAY AWAY from upgrade till sorted or if your site goes down you can not say you were not warned.
Wish i had waited and read posts before my little empire became a pile of rubble
Honestly it has more bugs than the Amazon rain forest. Worse still they come accross as not interested, if they helped and investigated i would understand but they ignore posts for 3 days, mean while we lose months of work and the damage is not limited to the repair it takes time to build up on searches and customers may never return.

Ah ah !! I'm web developper since 11 years, so i think i know what i'm talking about. I upgrade 2 or 3 shop a week for my customers, so i perfectly now how to do and that it works when you know how to do.

Saying to use a professional is probably the most constructive thing of this thread.
If you're not a professional of the PHP and prestashop, do what you know, save life or whatever you want, and lets professional upgrade your shop.

It's a real advice, not a way to laught at you !

If you had backup, you wouldn't have stayed 3 days with your shop down... so i keep thinking you were... crazy...

And with your reply i now think you are just stupid...

Ah ah !! I'm web developper since 11 years, so i think i know what i'm talking about. I upgrade 2 or 3 shop a week for my customers, so i perfectly now how to do and that it works when you know how to do.

Saying to use a professional is probably the most constructive thing of this thread.
If you're not a professional of the PHP and prestashop, do what you know, save life or whatever you want, and lets professional upgrade your shop.

It's a real advice, not a way to laught at you !

If you had backup, you wouldn't have stayed 3 days with your shop down... so i keep thinking you were... crazy...

And with your reply i now think you are just stupid...

Actually i think your just looking to make money abit like a ticket tout, which is why you gave no constructive help, if you read all my posts you would see
1. we tested first and all appeared to work
2. we backed up last version and database but errors when reverted back
3. To offer prestashop to go in and look for problem and then take site down would defeat the object as many having same or similar problems.

So i have taken a proactive approach and set up a discussion so users with similar problems can compile information.
Now i might be Just a watch manager with fireservice but this has all the hallmarks of a server side problem rather than corruption by user installing. This is probably compatability with software on certain servers on certain hosts or PHP versions causing the issues.
Now i would expect a PHP developer to come to a conclusion that would be fit in an area like that and atleast offer some ideas to where problem originates. However you have not so i come to one of two conclusions
1 your touting for business and purposely avoiding giving constructive assistance .......or
2 Your not quite as switched on to this as you believe.

We have set up prestashop on two sites and many php based software on our multiple websites so not quite as wet between the ears as you make out ( for a firefighter)
However i am pretty useless on a surf board

2. we backed up last version and database but errors when reverted back

Well, I am not coming to help as I am new to prestashop.
However, I would like to share a few cents by questions.

1. Could you list what errors they are, I am very interested on them before my upgrade? ^^
2. You web hosting service should have daily backup. Right! So, you may try the second older backup if your last backup failed.
3. After restore, clean your browser cache/cookes before getting back to your website.
4. What is your database version, php version, browser and server OS?
5. How to make your backup, export through phpMyAdmin, or mysqldump, or zip database directory ?
6. Did you restore database with success before?
7. Show us the steps of your restore.

Well, only seven qustions so far, but some more questions are coming if necessary.

this upgrade is useless. I've gone back to the old version, I considered switching to different ecommerce platform, but I'll just wait and see if it gets sorted out. The programmers who made this upgrade are really shallow minded, they don't realize that a little change such as making the URLs "friendlier" by removing 1 digit will make people lose $1000's because all the SEO work and backlink building is gone. Also the images, it seems that they randomly changed pngs to gifs and opposite, this is probably to make some quick $$ for the "supporters". Prestashop should learn from better platforms, and I don't mean other ecommerce platforms - look at wordpress, you click a button and update is done and everything continues to work as before - all the themes and plugins. if you can't do that then make 2 different version - 1 for fresh install, and 1 for upgrade and don't touch the theme for upgrades, I think people know how to use paint themselves. I wasted around 8 hours trying to fix my bugs without success, if I'll stay with this platform next time I'll know that I need to wait around 1 year after the so called stable version is released.

For your cms redirection problem try this

Change the following line in htaccess

RewriteRule ^content/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*) /cms.php?isolang=$1&id;_cms=$2 [QSA,L]

Into:

RewriteRule ^content/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*) /cms.php?id_cms=$1 [QSA,L]

First of all I think that presta team did a great job developing the version 1.4 and this for free!
I tested many ecommerce platforms that are more complicated and has less featured and those where not for free.
So I would like to thank's the prestashop team for theyre efforts.

I think we should stop complaining and instead help each others to update our themes and modules for the new version.

I'm testing right now the compatibility of my website from 1.3 to 1.4 in localhost.

-The first problem I encounter is that the teme validator (http://validator.prestashop.com/) give me the next error

5fd13c2b89a6eaaa4614bfe258f6c40f=>Zip file seems to be broken

I did everything as in the manual and more than one times.

-Secondly the ajax cart isn't working anymore. When I add a product in the cart nothing happend. Only when you go in to the shopping cart you see that the product is added.

-other product in the same category won't switch.

-the pictures thickbox won't open.

Anyone have some idea how we could adapt our themes and fix at lest those problems?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards!

Unable to upgrade to 1.4 also. Tried it twice, too many problems and functions broken from the home text editor, Paypal and other modules, forcing the admin panel to https, to list. And I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, just like when I've upgraded in the past.

The plan now is to just stay with 1.3 and watch here for some kind of news the bugs have been worked out. I like Prestashop and spent a lot of time configuring it the way I wanted it. I just don't feel like doing it all again.

jhnstcks
that does solve the CMS issues which is awesome
If i can get paypal to work id be fairly happy waiting for the other issues
Most of these issues are probably fairly simple - When you know how
Cheers for your efforts things getting better
Modules problem is next issue

First of all I think that presta team did a great job developing the version 1.4 and this for free!
I tested many ecommerce platforms that are more complicated and has less featured and those where not for free.
So I would like to thank's the prestashop team for theyre efforts.

I think we should stop complaining and instead help each others to update our themes and modules for the new version.

I'm testing right now the compatibility of my website from 1.3 to 1.4 in localhost.

-The first problem I encounter is that the teme validator (http://validator.prestashop.com/) give me the next error

I did everything as in the manual and more than one times.

-Secondly the ajax cart isn't working anymore. When I add a product in the cart nothing happend. Only when you go in to the shopping cart you see that the product is added.

-other product in the same category won't switch.

-the pictures thickbox won't open.

Anyone have some idea how we could adapt our themes and fix at lest those problems?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards!

All this error is due to my template.

The original prestashop template work like a charm!

So I need a method to update my personalized template

I'm reading this post with interest. I have had no problems whatsoever when recently upgrading a site from 1.2.4.0, so am not really sure what the issues are that people are having. Are there problems? Yes. The CMS issue as one example, was identified a good while back and is in the bug tracker (a free professional tip is to have a good look in there for open bugs relating to the version you intend to upgrade to, particularly ones that relate to features that are essential for your store).

CMS SEF links redirect to site root
Report #: 7579
Date created: 08 Feb 2011 at 15:48 (UTC+1)

Themes likely need major work or they'll either fail, or you won't be able to properly take advantage of the new features. They always do.

The other side is down to proper change control and backups. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but a backup that doesn't revert you back to where you were before you started isn't a backup - it's a waste of time. I suggest that if you don't have a proper, clean database backup, then unless you can persuade your hosting company to restore it for you from a point before you ran the upgrade script, you're stuffed.

There have been many people testing with the latest RC versions (and some of us using the SVN versions and updating daily) and reporting bugs - it's a way of contributing to the project and results in a better product for everyone. This is best done using a real site on a test server. It also lets you iron out any major problems before affecting your production site. Complaining in a forum sadly, is likely going to be ignored I'm afraid, as the developers will concentrate on reported bugs as their first priority.

Paul

I made a fresh install of 1.4, no upgrade. And the issues remain, so that only leave us with 2 possibilities: 1 this version is not well optimized or 2 the requirements are too high for some hosting companies.
I'll reinstall the version I originaly had and try to restore the data, I made a full backup in mysql and using the prestashop back up option too, so there shouldn't be a problem, however if I can't do it by myself I'll post a thread here, haha.

It works well on fresh installs...but if you dare upgrade... your site will be a HOT MESS!!. Luckily I backed up my site so I was able to replace right back to the way I had it...This sucks because I really want to use the final version of 1.4...

here also al lot of us errors with upgrading

maybe they realeased the final version to fast

The problem is that as the RC versions are only for testing so not many people use them therefore errors get missed. But as a "final" version most people download it and try to use it so a lot more bugs and errors are found that the testers didnt spot.

It was inevitable that bugs were going to be found, its just a shame that so many people of had problems.

It works well on fresh installs...but if you dare upgrade... your site will be a HOT MESS!!. Luckily I backed up my site so I was able to replace right back to the way I had it...This sucks because I really want to use the final version of 1.4...

That is not necessarily true as most of the problems are arising from theme and module compatibility issues with smarty3.

Like I sayed.

1.4 version work's like a charm! Very nice improvments. I really like it!

The problem is in our old templates that we had installed and that some of us had modifayed the core files. So in the upgrades we lost the changes.

Again make back ups, and test your website on your localhost!

Thank you prestashop team!

Like I sayed.

1.4 version work's like a charm! Very nice improvments. I really like it!

The problem is in our old templates that we had installed and that some of us had modifayed the core files. So in the upgrades we lost the changes.

Again make back ups, and test your website on your localhost!

Thank you prestashop team!

Could you tell us what hosting are you using?

From now I'm only testing on localhost.

When I go live I will be more than happy to tell you.

Yeah, I tested it on localhost too, and everything worked fine. If you go live and it works, I would appreciate you would let me know what you are using.

Yeah, I tested it on localhost too, and everything worked fine. If you go live and it works, I would appreciate you would let me know what you are using.

Sure. No problem. I think it's a matter of days or maybe a week.
I will update the post.

From what I gather, and from the faults I see in my upgraded version 4, there are themes compatibility issues.

In the "New Installation Guide" it is suggested to check the theme's compatibility... but the way to test is only available in a version 4's back office (i.e. the "import/export themes" tab). I believe this is wrong, as people cannot check their theme unless they... lost their theme in the upgrading.

I want to revert to previous version, but I'm afraid of loosing things. I do have a copy of the whole shop in my harddrive, and I have made a SQL back up from MyPHP. What's the procedure to revert to version 1.3.6 ?

Like I had wrote, I upgrade in the localhost and thit exactly like the teme validator tutorial, but I have the following errors

So even if you install 1.4 it doesn't mean that you can check your theme.

Somebody could help? It's my only limitation to go live.

As I know it's impossible to downgrade the version!

The only think you could do is to uppload your back ups files to your server thrue the cpannel.
The problem is that if you had maded changes, or received orders, custumers etc... in meantime you will lost everything.

Even If the downgrade will be possible you will loose some data anyway. So I think the back up is the only way.

Wish you good luck.

oh, this is a now a real shit:

I do have a backup of previous version's database, but I'm also backing up a database of version 4... and it doesn't work! See attachment. What's this? No instructions on what to do whatsoever.

40767_4xXk4TjQ9KmEq0HH7tFA_t

I do have both files and database. I assume the text in the screenshot is just a sql to cut and paste into a .sql document.
I got all backups, but no way of knowing if they include everything... since version 4 is giving me popup errors. I'm afraid of having lost something now that I'm going to reinstall version 3.

I don't know how to help you because I don't know your exact situation.

I advice you that you do a complete back up in the cpannel not phpmyadmin.

If you did the database back up in phpmyadmin you should select all tables of your database (stiva_shop) and drop it. Then you import the back up which you have.

Try to search thrue the forum for database import etc....

I hope I helped somehow.

If you wish I can connect to your computer and do that for you. Maybe with TeamViewer.
I mean restore your previous back up file.

I also know the Italian language ;)

Thank you for your will to help but I have downgraded to version 3.7.
I did try upgrading to 4, I did also try to install 4 from scratch... and the result is: NOT READY FOR PRODUCTION !

It looks appealing but has many bugs, mostly related to the fact that it doesn't take into consideration themes/addons/modules that may come from third parties (free or not). It is good for first time prestashop users but not for seasoned ones. This is the truth, the 4 version ain't ready for the IT conflicts of our times. I'm sure many are cursing the heavens for upgrading, as I write. :)

Thank you for your will to help but I have downgraded to version 3.7.
I did try upgrading to 4, I did also try to install 4 from scratch... and the result is: NOT READY FOR PRODUCTION !

It looks appealing but has many bugs, mostly related to the fact that it doesn't take into consideration themes/addons/modules that may come from third parties (free or not). It is good for first time prestashop users but not for seasoned ones. This is the truth, the 4 version ain't ready for the IT conflicts of our times. I'm sure many are cursing the heavens for upgrading, as I write. :)

Could you tell me how you downgraded please?

I have had no problem upgrading to 1.4. I followed the instructions and set files and folders to CHMOD 666, installed, made sure it worked and put files and folders back to original CHMOD. Deleted both the install folders in admin and main site, according to the instructions, and it all works.
I am not an expert on servers or software but for a change it all worked.
My only compalint is I can't change the country from France to UK and the Paypal module only accepts an API version (which I don't have) and has removed the Paypal basic that I did use.
I don't use Moneybookers because they are the biggest waste of space I've ever dealt with; 4 weeks to reply to a simple question is not good enough so I use Hipay instead.
Apart from that no problems.
If it doesn't work on your server then I'll sell you some space on my servers. :)

To downgrade you have to do simple steps. Assuming you still have a back-up of the database on your local machine, i.e. the same .sql file you have imported in the new Prestashop version.

1) In upgrading any application it is common practice to rename the old one for (instance prestashop_old) instead of deleting it. If you did that, now just download the old version of Prestashop from their website, unzip it on your local machine and then upload ONLY the "install" folder to the prestashop_old.

2) In MyPHPAdmin select your prestashop database and delete all the tables (i.e. DROP them). Now you should have an empty database.

3) Delete the new prestashop folder on your server, i.e. the new version and NOT the prestashop_old

4) Now rename prestahop_old to prestashop. This way you should have the old version of the shop and you just need to reinstall its "engine"....

5) to do that last step, browse to www.yourdomain.com/prestashop/install and select "new installation" (NOT upgrade)

To downgrade you have to do simple steps. Assuming you still have a back-up of the database on your local machine, i.e. the same .sql file you have imported in the new Prestashop version.

1) In upgrading any application it is common practice to rename the old one for (instance prestashop_old) instead of deleting it. If you did that, now just download the old version of Prestashop from their website, unzip it on your local machine and then upload ONLY the "install" folder to the prestashop_old.

2) In MyPHPAdmin select your prestashop database and delete all the tables (i.e. DROP them). Now you should have an empty database.

3) Delete the new prestashop folder on your server, i.e. the new version and NOT the prestashop_old

4) Now rename prestahop_old to prestashop. This way you should have the old version of the shop and you just need to reinstall its "engine"....

5) to do that last step, browse to www.yourdomain.com/prestashop/install and select "new installation" (NOT upgrade)

That's the same thing I already tried... however, I tried again, but it didn't work, damn, this is so frustrating.
Do you know if not remembering the old mysql database password and therefore creating a new one will make any difference?
Thanks a lot for helping, man, really appreciate it!!

Strange you couldn't downgrade, it's a logical operation and it should work.

Changing the password for the database shouldn't create any problem. The database is still there, even if you have changed the login details.

If you feel unsecure, try to contact you ISP, they might help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure. No problem. I think it's a matter of days or maybe a week.
I will update the post.

I made a fresh install on my hosting and everything seems to work fine.
J.Momb could you please tell me what exactly isn't working for you so I will check and tell you if it's working on my hosting.

Regards!