Text formatting not working.

I have a very strange problem. When i enter the short or long description of a product i can use text formatting inside the editor like bold or underlined etc. I can even see the result just fine while i am at it. But when i save the product and view it in the shop the formatting is not displayed. Just looks like it stripped all the HTML ?

Any ideas ?

Edited by wxanl (see edit history)

Sounds like your template is stripping html out. Reach the theme folder via ftp, open product.tpl and look for $product->description_short and $product->description. See if they are escaped, and eventually remove the modifier

Hi Nemo, thanx for the reply. I just checked that file and there is some html stripping but not for $product->description_short or $product->description as far as i can see. Is there maybe another location or file i could check ?

52 minutes ago, NemoPS said:

Hmm that's the only one. Prestashop version? You can try to add {debug}, a new window will pop up at page load, search for $product and see how those vars are looking over there

Thanx for your reply. Version is 1.6.1.11. I will set debug to on by changing from false to true

define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', true);

in

config/defines.inc.php

and test.

1 hour ago, NemoPS said:

Hmm that's the only one. Prestashop version? You can try to add {debug}, a new window will pop up at page load, search for $product and see how those vars are looking over there

@wxanl

I think that nemoPS is not talking about to set your site to mode debug, but to add {debug} to your product.tpl of your theme on first line.

Open the file /themes/your theme/product.tpl

and add as first line this

{debug}

Save the file to your FTP. Open the product-site of front-office and look for $product.

9 minutes ago, selectshop.at said:

@wxanl

I think that nemoPS is not talking about to set your site to mode debug, but to add {debug} to your product.tpl of your theme on first line.

Open the file /themes/your theme/product.tpl

and add as first line this

{debug}

Save the file to your FTP. Open the product-site of front-office and look for $product.

Oh i see. I did not know about that. I will try that first. Thanx so much for explaining it to me.

I am not sure where to look but the {debug} output of for example $product and $description_short is like this:

->description = "<p>Editor 1 <strong>TESTPRODUCT</stro..."
   ->description_short = "<p>Editor 1 <strong>TESTPRODUCT</stro..."

Smarty_Variable Object (3)
->value = "<p>Editor 1 <strong>TESTPRODUCT</stro..."
->nocache = false

So i suppose HTML tags are not stripped since i can see them in the code ?

Edited by wxanl (see edit history)

Thank you for the reply Fabio.
That is what i thought to but it seems that i am unable to pinpoint the correct file or line to change. Even after i deleted all instances of |escape:'HTML' in /themes/name/product.tpl and cleaned the cache it still does not work.

Not sure where to look next. Any advice ?

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
I am not sure if i actually empty all the cache. After every change i press the "Clear Cache" button in the upper right hand side and reload the page using CTRL+F5. 

However, i i could not wrap my head around it so (out of frustration) i deleted all escape and strip tag entries again and edited the description of the product again. This time i used <strong> <underlined> <italic> and a font color. To my surprise everything seemed to work except <strong> 

So i checked the element and changed the font to arial and all of a sudden all HTML atributes are displayed. Not sure what is going on here but i suppose i will go and change the font in the css files manually.

Thanx for all the advise and explanations !

I don't know your theme in use, but in general all themes have a global.tpl and a global.css. On this two files you will find the global settings of your theme. You should add to global.tpl the font-types in use and to global.css the functions like bold, center, etc....

After each change in files you need to delete smarty cache and your browser cache.