[SOLVED] Pictures not working

• 3 weeks later...

With the same info, can you physically check that the image file actually reside in the named directory.
Your problem seems that the image wasn't there in the folder
And also make sure the image folder is writable

Try to regenerate the images in Preferences->Image
as per Rocky earlier solution

:)

This particular folder is set to 755, is this correct?

Also are there any recommendations on an FTP client that will let me see all files, or what settings need to be modified (I use a combination of Dreamweaver, Filezilla and Transmit)

It seems all those images is not in the right directory in your livesite but somehow reside in another directory. Not sure if you have did any modification to your livesite, or maybe your livesite settings.inc.php you have changed the img directory definition.

Check your livesite config/settings.inc.php to see what you have define '_PS_IMG_'
If it is elsewhere, then go to that location (livesite) and copy that folder's content into your newtestsite /img folder
I notice you mentioned in your 1st post that you "restore your site" ; then you would have to change the config/settings.inc.php files in your newtestsite. did you match the setting correctly
Goodluck!
:)

Hi Mike, that setting isn't even there!

<?php
define('_DB_SERVER_', 'localhost');
define('_DB_TYPE_', 'MySQL');
define('_DB_NAME_', '******');
define('_DB_USER_', '******');
define('_DB_PASSWD_', '******');
define('_DB_PREFIX_', 'ps_');
define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/');
define('_THEME_NAME_', 'prestashop');
define('_COOKIE_KEY_', 'qMCLzSOx2vcfr8EfYXu9uB4ZNjtqUNStuBmAhmGQeWXHUE2huoS16Uw5');
define('_COOKIE_IV_', 'uqfnMSvi');
define('_PS_CREATION_DATE_', '2010-08-25');
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.3.1.1');
?>

Sorry my mistake here...never check on e version you are using. Those setting only appears in the svn version. Your setting looks ok.
Try to look at your livesite to see where those images reside by doing

Can right click mouse @ image to check property?
. This will probably show you where the images location in order to proceed further troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks that helped...they seem to be in two completely different places. Any ideas how I could have gotten myself in this situation? And what's the best, low-risk way to fix this?

LIVE SITE: ../200-1348-home/protec-floral-etch-hard-case-for-iphone-4-.jpg

TEST SITE: ../img/p/200-1348-home.jpg

Not too sure how you got to this situation.... You may also want to check your config/config.inc.php on your live site against your testsite under /*Base and themes */ the images location definition.

The images needs to resite in its respective directory inorder for it to be displayed.
If /200-1348/ correspond to /img/ and all the subdirectory are the same after, then you may safetly copy those images into your testsite directory.

Would advice you do not do anything to your livesite incase anything goes wrong. BTW hope up do regular backup on your livesite!!

Maybe it has to do with your non default theme..!

I see what's happened!

I turned off friendly URL's in my test site. When I turned it back on, I found this:

TEST SITE: ../test_directory/200-1348-home/protec-floral-etch-hard-case-for-iphone-4-.jpg

LIVE SITE: ../200-1348-home/protec-floral-etch-hard-case-for-iphone-4-.jpg

So I have two questions:

1) How can I change the image path to point to a sub-directory?
2) There's no such folder in my parent directory called "200-1348-home", how is this possible?

It seems you have friendly URLs turned on for your live site, but not for your test site. In both cases, the image should be in the same place though: /img/p/200-1348-home.jpg

Ok I see that makes sense, so when you turn on Friendly URL's the images stay in the same place, just the link looks different.

however...I just did a search for the name of the file "200-1348" and it doesn't seem to exist anywhere on my full site backup.

This must be what you were saying before how not all images are downloaded. Do you know what setting in my ftp client needs to be configured so I can see and download them?

I'm using Transmit primarily, but sometimes I use Filezilla.

I also have the built in Dreamweaver one, but I rarely use that. That being said I've backed up my site using all three before, so it looks like all three aren't able to pick up on all the files!

Anyway...as suggested I looked in there using the web browser (file manager) and they were all there!!!

I have two questions though:

1) Are there any other prestashop files that this can happen to (just so that I am extra careful when backing up)
2) How can I configure my ftp client to see them...I can't seem to find any way to do a mass download via file manager

Usually, it is only the img subdirectories that suffer this problem, since you can easily end up with thousands of images in there. I suppose it could also happen to the download directory if you have thousands of downloadable products and attachments, or to the upload directory if thousands of customers upload customized images to products. Perhaps if you create thousands of backup on the Tools > DB Backup tab or upload thousands of CSV files, it could happen to the admin/tabs/backup or admin/tabs/import directories.

To be honest, I don't know how to configure FTP clients to avoid the problem of too many files in a directory. I suggest searching Google for more information.

Hi Rocky, just letting you know that I worked this out.

I tried almost every big name FTP client but none of them worked, even when I set them to see hidden files.

File Manager in CPanel wasn't much help either because it only allows you to download one file at a time.

But I found the backup tool in CPanel worked perfectly - it allowed me to backup and download the full site, which finally contained all the photos, and then I simply extracted them.