Password migration from 1.4 to 1.6

mirroring

Hi to all, I have a shop in PrestaShop 1.4, the expert that should do the migration to 1.6 says to me that I don't have the cookie_key setted in my actual shop and if we want to add in the 1.6 to improve security all the customers password will be "lost" and they have to do the "password forget" procedure.

It's true? There is a way to mantain the same password adding this cookie_key in the new shop?

Thanks to everyone

why are you doing a migration to 1.6, instead of doing an upgrade to 1.6?

If you do a migration, which means you are transferring your stores information from one store to another store, then yes passwords will be an issue.

If you do an upgrade, which means you are upgrading your existing stores version to a new version, then no passwords will not be an issue.

if you do an upgrade, the cookie key will not change so customers will be able to log into the site using their existing password.

Maybe I was not clear, In my current shop this cookie_key is not set. If I do an upgrade this cookie_key still remain unset? Right?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I don't know why, my previous web developer made all, installation and customization, etc etc.

This is my actual settings.inc.php (a snippet)

define('_COOKIE_KEY_', '');
define('_COOKIE_IV_', 'xxxxxxxx');
define('_RIJNDAEL_KEY_', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx');
define('_RIJNDAEL_IV_', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==');
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.4.11.0');

You said...

Sorry, but I don't know why, my previous web developer made all, installation and customization, etc etc.

And I suggest that you should go back to your previous developer and find out what they did and why.  Even in PS v1.4, the cookie key should have a value.

Without having a cookie key set, after the upgrade, clients will still be able to log in.

But the key should be set for security.

This can be fixed without losing passwords by old customers.

Old customers will log in using an empty cookie key, but after logging in, their password will be re-encrypted using the new cookie key.

To introduce such change, you have to commission it to a programmer.

Edited by bestcoding.net (see edit history)

Thanks to all.

The cookie key value is empty, not xxx

define('_COOKIE_KEY_', '');

As said from bellini13, the _COOKIE_KEY_ is empty, and other values aren't 'xxxx', I've changed the values to post here the snippet.

And I suggest that you should go back to your previous developer and find out what they did and why.  Even in PS v1.4, the cookie key should have a value.

At the moment, it's impossible to ask him.

Without having a cookie key set, after the upgrade, clients will still be able to log in.

But the key should be set for security.
Old customers will log in using an empty cookie key, but after logging in, their password will be re-encrypted using the new cookie key.
To introduce such change, you have to commission it to a programmer.

The key should be set, is the same thing that said my new programmer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll talk with him for this solution

I'm not sure this is a true statement... at least not without introducing custom code that attempts to validate the password without the cookie key first, and if it fails, then trying it with the new cookie key.