Updating Prestashop from 1.6.0.14 version to 1.6.1.12 (or already 1.7?) - general question

Rynraf

Is it worth to update Prestashop from 1.6.0.14 version to version 1.6.1.12 from March 2017? Especially thatit will be better in nearest future to update it to version 1.7?
I mean the comparison of work on preparing update to results. In option of upgrading from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1

A little earlier I read many opinions about Prestashop 1.7 that this version have many defects, that's too early for update shop system for it and most of modules are not prepared for this version.
From your experience... Is it already good moment to update PS to 1.7? Does all core functionailities works correctly in v1.7.0.6?

To update or not to update... ;)

On 1.7 I agree with NemoPS.

As for 1.6.1.12 I would be careful. The transition from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 is quite big and quite a few themes and modules may give problems when you update. 1.6.1 doesn't have more features: its main improvement is better speed. So my suggestion would be to check the specs of your modules and theme and to upgrade a test setting first and then to decide whether you consider it worth the trouble.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I will check information about version 1.7 later ;)

If I will have some time I will prepare migration from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 on different environment, maybe on another subdomain and I will check if it consume much time to set everything.

Speed optimization is important. More and more, epsecially from SEO (Google SE) point of view :)

This is good to know! Could I indulge you in another question as a brand new Prestashop user? I have version 1.6.1.6 hosted with inMotionHosting. I see a link advising I could upgrade to 1.6.1.12 in right side of my back office. Tempting! Gosh, is this as easy as it looks? Should I do this? I don't want to break anything! As for modules, I use the prestashop default theme and other than recently purchasing paypal direct, all standard off the shelf default modules with 1.6.1.6.

Thank you for any advice!

1.6.1.6 to 1.6.1.12 is mainly about bugfixes. Most likely it will go without a problem. Yet some people did report problems after such an upgrade so you should be careful about making a backup. 

If it was my shop I would doubt. If I experienced serious problems from bugs I would do it. Otherwise I might try it when I had few other things to do.