I like to talk to somebody with experience of adding > 5,000 products.

wgeppert

What is (still) a time consuming process at product setup or management for you?

How do you marry product images and product data?

I am missing a smart strategy for distributed, multi step bulk product setup. What about you?

I like to talk to somebody with experience of adding > 5,000 products.

At a high level, you create a CSV file with all of the product data (including product images).  The important part is to not allow Prestashop to create product images during the import process.  it is very time consuming, and will likely cause the import process to take an excessive amount of time, and eventually timeout and fail.

There are also many variables and factors to ones hosting company (memory, max execution time, shared hosting restrictions etc..), so there is no magic solution that will work for everyone.  This means you might not get all 5000 products imported in one round, you might need to create smaller CSV files (chunks) in order to get everything loaded.

Prestashop includes sample CSV files that will help you understand how to format them

thanks for this reply.

We are software driven and developers, not regular users. From that point of view I am shocked that everybody is talking about CSV imports as it is just a finger snip to create consistent and error free flat files. The product administration is highly complex in terms of relations, data structure, and switches for certain functions and business logics. To make a long story short: use of CSV is not effective, but time consuming, expensive and error-prone. Maybe we all use it, since there is no better way.

Also for PrestaShop users like manufactures and direct marketing, where no suppliers data are available, a CSV creation starts always at the scratch. This is what my headache comes from. We have to add all little data to the product our self, we shoot all pictures – when we cook the soup, we have to shoot the deer first.

We looking for people using web services or SQL INSERT or MySQL replication.

my regards

Edited by wgeppert (see edit history)