Restoring Old Store from Sql File

Moxie007

I built a store for my client about four years ago. I have the files and the mysql backup file -- but they are four years old. 

They would like their store restored.

I'm no longer with the hosting provider I was with at the time. Created a new instance of Prestashop on the new host and followed the directions I found online -- to no avail.

-- PHPMyAdmin: Drop tables, import. The site was completely fouled up (even though the DB names matched). Couldn't even log in (even after updating the login in the database).

Ugh. I thought there was a painless method to restore from the database? Or is the differing versions of Prestashop the issue? That the current version isn't compatible with the four year old backup? 

HELP!

The item list with descriptions of each one (along with meta tags, etc.) would spare me about twenty hours of typing or copying and pasting. Any direction would be appreciated!

Do you have both files and database ? 

If so you should be able to get at least old store running first then try upgrade proces.

Depending on version of old store maybe even with 1 click update module. Guessing you have some 1.4.

Or manually to 1.5 and then next step to 1.6.

You can also try different approach, to export product data to CSV and imort on new fresh latest version of Prestashop.

Note if you do have just database you can only match with same version of file from here 

https://www.prestashop.com/en/developers-versions#previous-version

But for sure it will not work with latest vesion. 

Thank you so much for responding!

It seems that when I upload the database, mysql isn't taking the whole thing. There's an error message regarding the first few paragraphs of code -- so, when I export as CSV afterwards, it's just a few tables of numbers. 

Argh. 

I'm not sure what to do without the database playing nice with mysql -- when phpmyadmin was exactly what created the backup in the first place.

I did not understand you. 

Do you have complete database ?

Do you have all files ?

I was thinking you just export Products to CSV in format you can easily enter in new fresh installation.

If you have issue importing database to phpMyadmin check error you get and first few paragraphs could be comments.

I do have the database and the files -- but absolutely no idea how to export products to CSV without being *in* Prestashop :(

That said, I installed the 1.4.7.2 version of Prestashop manually. Imported the old database... and now the login won't work (though, everything connected fine during the install process). Any ideas? The login info I'm entering matches the ps_employee record in the DB, but it's not working. 

*bangs head*

Oh my goodness, it still won't work. Did the cookie_key thing -- everything seemed to go successfully, but it's simply refusing to let me log in. 

The database to csv link you sent is great, but still requires my being *in* Prestashop. I'm afraid I'm really becoming frustrated with this. There are 300+ products with descriptions, recipes, meta info, etc., contained within the database, from the previous Prestashop. I need to free them from it, in order to make a fresh, new shop -- but without duplicating all the work I put into those descriptions and such. 

Would anyone be willing to log in and take a peek under the hood for me? I'd be happy to send the server info. Please, please!

• 2 months later...