Cannot rebuild the product search index on Prestashop 1.6.1.6

lightbabbi

As I wrote in the title, I can’t re-build the product's search index. When I click on it, after a few minutes, my VPS goes in error “500 Internal Server Error”.
If I refresh the page, the whole site does not loads, so I have to manually reboot the VPS.

This happen even if i press “Add to the index the missing products”. No products are added, same 500 error.

I have 3610 products, and only 810 are indexed.

My version of PrestaShop is the last one: 1.6.1.6.
“max_execution_time” in Plesk is set on 30000
PHP version is 5.3.

I’m freaking out guys. Any suggestions?

Sorry for my english, I'm from Italy.
Edited by lightbabbi (see edit history)

I think the first thing you need to do is to find out what is the real cause of 500 Internal Server error.

This error is very general, it could be error on your server including PHP script running error from PrestaShop or outside of PrestaShop.

If you have not enabled debug mode, you can try to set _PS_MODE_DEV_ to true in file /config/defines.inc.php and try again to see if there is any detailed errors displayed.

Rebuilding the index happens by Ajax. So you won't see an error on your page. Instead you should look in your error log or in your console to see what values were returned.

Alternatively you could use Prestools. As its re-indexation is largely the same algorithm it might return the same values/problems.

At least I've added all my products to the search index by clicking Add missing products to index. I’ve done this several several times, obtaining 500 Internal Server Error all the time.

But, how could this be possible? In my Php settings on Plesk, "max_execution_time" is set on 30000 seconds!