(Solved) Issues with .csv import in ver. 1.0.0.5

No, I haven't updated (yet) because I'm afraid to mess up all my weeks of work making the site look/feel the way I need it to. I hope that isn't why this doesn't work.

Problem: .csv won't import with "," as the seperator. It tells me I have "Invalid CSV file or delimiter." However, it WILL import the file with a ";", but the rows are all messed up. They look NOTHING like the Wiki instructions illustrate.

What I have done to try to fix it: I re-arranged the columns to be in the exact order shown in the Wiki, just in case that might make a difference. I stripped the column headers too, as they showed up in the messed up import as an uption to import.

Here is an image of what I get when I import using ; as the delineator. As you can see, not the desired result. WHat might I be doing wrong? What might be in the file itself causing the issues?

The bosses just gave me a CD with 10,000 new products on it to go on the site. If I can't import the 150 or so we already had to list using this file, what chance do I have? I could retire (12 years away) without finishing the products if I have to bring them in one at a time.

Solution:

Not so much a solution, as it is a lot more understanding on my part. The import function is VERY picky on what is in each field. So far, a comma anywhere in the description or price will keep the import from working. The only commas you can have are the data seperators. Also, after re-reading the Wiki, you need to remove $ (or other currency marker) from the price. You cannot do this using the standard .csv file opened in Microsoft Excel. I used notepad, and manually edited the files using the find and replace functions. I also had to go in and remove commas from anything over 1000 dollars line-by-line.

Among other things that CANNOT be in the text, are "#" and "*" and "/", even if they are inside of quotes. Also, anywhere the description included inches using the " symbol, I had to change them all to "inches".

I did manage to successfully import 671 products that I now have to go in and edit one at a time. But it should save me about a month by already existing in the database. I like time saving!

I still haven't gotten the original website data to import from the boss's old site. It's frustrating. But I'll get there. I've come too far to quit now! :coolsmile:

1922_xFU3etQfTKOrQwr3N9eQ_t

I tried # as a seperator too, but it wouldn't go. I did manage to get everything imported now using commas, however.

All in all, it's been a GREAT day here where my work with this new site is concerned. :coolsmile:

Next for me is creating tables in MySql for forms submission, and generating emails to notify us of it, and notify the customers that we recieved it.

I may cheat and just use .php wiout the .tpl.. I'm still confuzed using .tpl and smarty code. :gulp:

Probably a 'bad' word in the description.
I have been reformatting my csv file on trial and error. without any logic what could be wrong.
Tried different seperators, htmlentities encode, decode, even tried removing all non letter characters from descriptions.

Then I started importing (through import csv function) product by product. Veeerrrryyy time consuming.

When I was at product 478, I discovered the word 'Ciney' (a Belgian beer) is not allowed !!
The BO didn't show what the error was, just a 'bad csv or seperator' error.
Removing this 1 product from a +1000 csv file solved it...

So,
What would be very useful is a list with all 'bad' words. Or a module to edit the bad word filter list!!

You have your file formatted incorrectly. You cannot have empty fields, or special characters. You have – between "beadspread" and "full" on 2 lines. Your description is in the reference number field. Unless your file was corrupted on upload or download to my PC, it's all messed up.

You have much too much info in the fields, and a lot of quotes where you don't need them. You can import only the few values in the Wiki: ID
Reference
Name
EAN13 (what is this value anyway?)
Price
Weight
Quantity
Description Short
Description
Category

I'm having problems with this forum at the moment, having to refresh the pages 3 or 4 times constantly to get them to load, but I'll try to attach a revised file. Obviously you'll need to edit it once it's in the store to make it the way you want it.

I'll try the file upload one more time...

won't work, sorry.

Just make sure you remove the special characters, and don't have any empty fields. Even a "0" in a field is enough and you can edit it once you import it.

That's all I can suggest. Oh - and USD is not a number. Just use "95.00" (without the quotes) and add USD to the text after import.

Everytime I try, bulk uploading a few products in,
I still get the invalid CSV file or delimeter.
I tried 2 items this last time. I'm
wondering if there's a bug with the CSV Import tool
I'm including the CSV file again. When I tried to bulk
upload, I tried using a comma in between each field.
When that wouldn't work, I tried using a ; for the field
delimiter. It still won't work. If I can't get anywhere,
we'll probably have to add our products in by hand
which takes a long time also.
Hopefully the 1.1 RC1 will work without the bug if
there's one in the script now..

tmntest.csv

Your csv is incorrect. The csv has to be one field per column and one record per row
You are using only one column for all fields and many rows for one record
If you are using Excel, choose File > Save As > comma separated csv
Then upload with a comma delimiter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with importing CSV files.

I get the following message whenever I try to import the file:-

Invalid CSV file or delimiter.

This is really getting to me now, I've tried a few options as I've worked with CSV files before on other projects.

Can anyone please help me get the stock list I have from my supplier (available in Excel or CSV format) to work as I need to import around 3700 items this way.

The first thing I can suggest is to make sure that there are no extra commas in your import file. I checked this by counting entries between commas in notepad. Then check to be sure you're not trying to import a field with more than 400 characters (including spaces). Next, take out any "$" signs, "#" characters, and "/" characters. Once I did this, I got mine to import using the comma as a seperator.

If none of that works, I might be willing to take a look at your CSV file for you, in case I missed something. As I have gotten more than my fair share of help here in this forum, I think it'll be OK if I give back a little.

Let me know how it goes. If you need me to look at the file directly, we can exchange emails in a private message later.

Angie (bykrmom)

Hello There,

I made this post yesterday because I was having little to no luck with the topic I had already subscribed to. Therefore could you have a look at:-

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/5780/P15/general_discussion/example_of_correct_csv_import_file

Here you can find the csv file I'm wrestling with and make any comments on this topic if you are able to help.

Thank You
Regards