Slow! How To Speed It Up?

themich

Hi guys,

Our website is painfully slow. We've been running it for years and it's done great all along.

I tried all the basic optimization tricks (preferences, preformance (cache, smarty,...).

I contacted my hosting provider, they said I'm not using all the hosting resources (shared hosting) so it's really the prestashop store that needs to be made faster.

We run 1.5.4.1 and have done so since the beginning a couple years ago. Asked about updating a while back, but the general consensus seemed "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

What would you recommend doing?

Best,

Michael

someone has outgrown their shared hosting.  You can stay with shared (really not much difference between shared/vps but vps gives you more access so hosting config).

Also you say years, what typically happens to us all is we implement a shop and overtime two things 1) our shop starts to age espeicially the theme and 2) our hosting get's outdated.

So at the end of the day, you can rack your brain on old hosting but I advice 1) upgrade hosting and 2) look to at least 1.6.1.0  with quality theme.

Then  you will have a few more years of trouble free selling.  then repeat, lol

someone has outgrown their shared hosting.  You can stay with shared (really not much difference between shared/vps but vps gives you more access so hosting config).

Also you say years, what typically happens to us all is we implement a shop and overtime two things 1) our shop starts to age espeicially the theme and 2) our hosting get's outdated.

So at the end of the day, you can rack your brain on old hosting but I advice 1) upgrade hosting and 2) look to at least 1.6.1.0  with quality theme.

Then  you will have a few more years of trouble free selling.  then repeat, lol

Thanks for the helpful info!

Would it be possible to work on the new website from the same hosting account? E.g. install two versions of prestashop? Or will that give errors with databases etc.?

I noticed our current theme is compatible with 1.6. Would you recommend a clean install of 1.6.1 on a new hosting account, and install that theme too? (Would we have to buy the theme again?)

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael, 

You could speak to your existing hosting, if they have an upgraded hosting you like then they may very well move your  files/db to the new hosting for you.

The goal is to move the existing shop to an upgraded hosting account.  So it's really just a matter of moving files, creating db on new hosting and import existing DB.  There are a lot of tutorials on 'moving PrestaShop' to new hosting.

Happy day, el