Discontinued Products

Xerath

Hey Guys,

Got an idea for a useful mod for prestashop, well at least something I need anyway! Not too sure where to start with it.

If you disable a product, it vanishes from the website... However for SEO reasons, I like to have my discontinued products available to view but not to purchase.

I get a lof of traffic for people seeking products which have been superceeded... And so I need to keep these product details on the website.

My idea was to change the price of them to 0.00... and put an IF statement somewhere saying if the price is zero then display "Discontinued / POA" and remove the ADD button... However to my surprise, product.tpl is composed of what looks like javascript and not php :(

Is there a simpler way to do this that anybody knows of?

Can't you just set the quantity of the product to 0 and set Preferences > Products > Allow ordering out-of-stock product to "No"? That way, the product is displayed, but cannot be added to the cart. Then you can go to the "1. Info." tab of the product and enter "This product has been discontinued" under "Displayed text when allowed to be back-ordered".

• 3 years later...

Can't you just set the quantity of the product to 0 and set Preferences > Products > Allow ordering out-of-stock product to "No"? That way, the product is displayed, but cannot be added to the cart. Then you can go to the "1. Info." tab of the product and enter "This product has been discontinued" under "Displayed text when allowed to be back-ordered".

This solution do not work.

- Allow ordering out-of-stock - NO

- Displayed text when allowed to be back-ordered

How can display this text if is set to NO?

Any other solutions?

• 1 year later...

I would need the same thing for 1.6

Mark a products of "Discontinued" remove prising and add to cart.

But at the same time, not deny customers to buy products which are just out of stock..

So simply put:

1. Mark products as out of stock, but they can be ordered.

2. Mark products as discontinued, and they can not be ordered.

You could 'misuse' a standard product detail field like EAN13 or reference that you don't use and check in the TPL file if the field has a (special) value, and if so, don't display the price and add to cart button.

For example, change reference to 'DISCONTINUED' and check in the product.tpl file if this value of Reference has this value or not.

If you really use these fields and their value need to be kept, even if the product is discontinued, you could use a feature "Discontinued" (with value Yes if you want) and check if this feature is availabe in the feature array. If so, again don't display the price and add to cart button.

Can also be done with a Tag "Discontinued", I assume...

My 2 cents,

pascal.