Facebook Like Box block v1.4.0 : No Content Displayed In Firefox?

deepee

Hi All

I upgraded this module to the latest version after receiving Prestashop's push notification this week.

Weird thing is, it works in IE and Chrome but doesn't display content in Firefox.

Also, the preview pane in the modules back office config page shows content when opened in IE and Chrome but again not Firefox.

I have cleared Firefox's cache but it still doesn't work.

I just checked the stock Android browser and it does not display content but Chrome for Android does.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Ta

Deepee

Hi - I am having the same issue as you - although we also use the Facebook like box on a standard web page - which is and has nothing to do with Prestashop

so 1st and formost - dont go changing your PS settings - this is a Firefox issue.

I managed to get our facebook like box working (using Firefox) by starting firefox in safe mode - this knocked out all the addons and thus - the like box was again visible and working - both on the stand alone web page (www.keaygroup.co.uk) and in our PS site too

So the problem is now to find which plugin is causing the issue - so if any other users know which plugin Firefox used which effects Face Book like box - please let both of us know - many thanks

worth noting - all other browsers - facebook like box works a treat.

Ian

OKay Deepee

Here is the fix.

Dont waste any more time looking at the Firefox plugins - it is not them.....

So what you need to do is...

Edit ( open Firefox and go to the top of the page and follow these navigation words)

Help

Troubleshooting Information

and then top right hand corner look for - refresh Firefox

After a sucessful refresh (dont forget to change the settings after refresh to keep you secure) the Facebook like box works again.

Like many down loads - perahps there was an issue with the down load that caused the problem.

But mine now works a treat as nomal again.

Please let me know how you got on.

cheers

ian

Edited by KGI (see edit history)

Thank you for your reply and suggestions, Ian.

I've got so much going on in Firefox I'll avoid the reset/refresh for the moment :)

That said, I suspect there will be millions of Firefox users with all or some of these plugins and extensions who will be unable to see Facebook content in Prestashop stores using Facebook Like Box v1.4.

If more Pestashop users can confirm this issue, there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the Like Box code.

I have seen it on three machines with different Firefox installations, so far.

Thanks again

deepee

Hello Deepee,

A further update on this subject.  (thanks for your reply too)

After writing to you about refreshing Firefox - which resolved the issue !!

I begain to reset my security settings within Firefox - I noted by never storing history

tools / options / Privacy section

The like box would not work again.

I tried 3 machines all running XP Service pack 3 on Firefox version 42.0 (which is their latest release of FF)

All 3 machines gave same the fault.

I have rolled back the firefox on all 3 machines to Version 41.0 of Firefox and now all works correctly as it did prior to the version 42.0 update.

(updates also have to be turned off - as otherwise FF will auto update again.)

Now i know you may not want to roll back your version for now - but I think in next few days FF will have several fixes for their platform.

Yes I agree - 1000's of Firefox users must be having same problem - but not sure what is causing it - but for sure it is a Firefox issue - not facbook as, as you know the like box works a okay in all other browsers.  the Firefox 42.00 upgrade is recently new - and still being rolled out by FF so many are seeing this issue today for the 1st time as well.

Conclusion - Firefox Version 42.0 is unstable

Other notes - Found other issues in 42.0 that even the setting within Options would not save and revetted back to previous settings.   there is a problem there for sure.

Any way - as before let me know how you get on

cheers

Ian

• Like 1

My Firefox was set to forget history the same as yours, Ian.

After enabling history the content was visible in the Facebook block again.

I'm on Firefox version 42 and looked for a way to roll back to the previous version but it seems to be unsupported?

The other thing I noticed is that the load time for the images to populate the box is very laggy.

I'm guessing this has something to do with a change in the way the content in the like box is now displayed.

It used to display the page's logo and an array of follower's faces.

Now my page's profile image appears above the follower's faces.

The profile image size is fairly large and I suppose this could be a rendering issue.

Anyone know how to configure what content actually appears in the box or is this a Facebook setting?

Let's hope a fix for Firefox is forthcoming soon.

As this seems not to be a Prestashop issue I'll mark this as solved by your best answer.

Thanks

deepee

Edited by deepee (see edit history)

Hello Deepee

Yes - - there is no way to roll back Firefox it self, sadly you will have to do this your self.

First use the link below to download the version 41.0 Firefox - place it to your desk top.

The you will need to remove the currect version from your system (its easy - but ask me if you dont know how)

Then all you need to do is double click the file you down loaded on your desk top and firefox 41.00 will un wrap and open.

When thats done - do quickly go to

Tools / Options / Advanced / Update

There change the settting from automatic to never  (you can change this back after a new release of FF is released and it will then auto update as normal.

Your older Firefox settings will be restored as a deletion of Firefox does not remove these.

Hope that helps you.

let me know how you get on

Edit added - also I think when you roll it back your Facebook like box will return to normal too. - mine looks okay.  As said to my knowledge nothing has changed in the script in regard to facebook widget module produced by FB.

ian

http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/63403/

Hi Both,

I think it is not only a Firefox problem. As I reported in

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/397595-prestashop-facebook-like-box-block-v13-doesnt-display-content/

both in Chrome and IE I have the some issue, the content is displayed but non correctly as you can see in the pic, the content is not centered.

The Theme I use is the default boostrap with minor changes in theme colors not more then this.

Any idea?

post-792212-0-26289600-1447482689_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

This turns out to be an issue with privacy settings in Firefox.

As soon as I disabled "Request that sites not track you" in privacy settings, the Facebook content showed again.

However, this means that anyone browsing a Prestashop site with this privacy setting enabled won't see the content in the Facebook block.

It kind of defeats the purpose of installing the Facebook block, unless there's another way around it.

Here's what Mozilla says about it:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Privacy/Tracking_Protection

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have the same situation but I use Chrome on my laptop. There's 4 computers with MSIE and Chrome in this office and the Facebook block works on all browsers and computers but It just won't work on my Chrome but works on my MSIE on my laptop. oh, I see it just fine on my Android.

I did not modify the tpl file or the js file.

I honestly think this oddity is within the module coding.

Derick

Hi,

Hi all,

I have the same situation but I use Chrome on my laptop. There's 4 computers with MSIE and Chrome in this office and the Facebook block works on all browsers and computers but It just won't work on my Chrome but works on my MSIE on my laptop. oh, I see it just fine on my Android.

I did not modify the tpl file or the js file.

I honestly think this oddity is within the module coding.

Derick

I agree with you Derick, I removed the module it doesn't work properly, unfortunately.

• Like 1