PrestaShop: Improved Customer Password Recovery

EdEichman

In case anyone is interested, I wrote up my override of the PrestaShop "forgotten password" feature.

My objections to the standard method...

• Two emails to the client are needed. Not all emails arrive instantly, so this can slow down a customer that wants to do business with you.
  • A password is being sent as plain text to the user.
  • The password auto-generated by PrestaShop is hard for the user to remember.
  • The customer's secure key is sent out as plain text (it's the "token" parameter in the URL of the first email).

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Thanks,

Ed

• Like 2

Hi Bellini,

Ummm, do you think so? Wow, I'm flattered, I guess LOL (literally) ;->  I know the concept of contributing to an open source project, but I've never done so - I was just trying to scratch my itch.

I'll take a look after work to so how to go about it. Thanks for the push.

Have a good one,

Ed

I'm curious, why not just submit these changes to their Forge so they can be included in the next core release of Prestashop?

Hi Bellini13,

Before doing a large pull request, I started small with a one line fix of a clear bug I found in the order confirmation process to see how this all worked. From there came into contact with Maxime, a core developer, who was lightning fast at responding to my pull request, and pointed out that the development branch already had what appears to be a very similar approach to forgotten passwords.

For those interested in doing pull requests, currently bug fixes should go to the 1.6.1.x branch, and new features to the development branch.

Thanks!

Ed

• Like 3

• 5 months later...