PrestaShop 1.7 – Expectations Needs and Wishes

Which should be preferred in the next version? 

1. Newsletter Subscribers Management and Server Configuration

In PrestaShop 1.6, there is a newsletter block at the frontend that is used to subscribe the newsletter by the customers of that website. In this way, merchants are able to collect the email addresses of the related persons but unfortunately there is no option to send the newsletter to the subscriber in any way. I think this is a big flaw in PrestaShop 1.6 and it should be catered in next version 1.7 such that merchants not only can collect the email address but also can send the newsletter in bulk.

1. Clean URLs

Google prefers those sites whose urls are free from useless information like ids, tags, numbers, equal signs etc. If Magento can allow clean urls by default then why not PrestaShop. Hence, this issue should be considers in the next update 1.7.

1. Fast One Page Checkout

Many of the new platforms like OpenCart has realized the thing that most of the abandoned carts are due to lengthy checkout process. This is the reason that OpenCart is using one page checkout. Therefore, PrestaShop 1.7 should have to cater it.

1. HTTPs Support

PrestaShop cloud hosting is recently launched that is mind breaking news for merchants but a big flaw is that it doesn’t have a https support. Same is the case with default PrestaShop store. Due to which merchants have to use buy external https certificates to secure their sites. If this feature comes by default in Presta 1.7, it would be a great favor for the merchants.

1. By Default Blog

Content plays the role of a king in SEO. Currently, PrestaShop don’t have by default blog option. Therefore, merchants have to integrate WordPress in PrestaShop or they use a blog module. Both the processes are too complex. I.e. WordPress integration is a difficult task at the other end, blog modules can’t provide full functionality. So there is a need of default blog in PrestaShop.

1. Excessive features should be removed

There are some of the features in PrestaShop that are not used by most of the e-merchants. These features include shipping system, currency support, warehouse information etc. Such features only slow down the website speed. Therefore, these features should be removed in PrestaShop 1.7.

1. Module Sections

At the backend of PrestaShop, modules should be shown in relevant category like administrative modules, SEO modules, payment modules, revenue driver modules etc. In this way, merchants have the facility to use and configure their desired module easily.

1. Tabs on Home and Product Pages

Most of the e-merchants like to place their products in tabs on home page i.e. hot products, top seller products, new product tabs. Similarly, they like to place product information in separate tabs i.e. product faq, product screenshots, product reviews tabs etc. To get these things, merchants customize their theme or uses external modules. If this comes by default, it will be great favor to the merchants.

1. Password Algorithm

Currently, PrestaShop is using md5 algorithm which is out dated due to spammers and hackers. Most of the shopping carts are using advance password algorithms. Therefore, this algo should be revised in PrestaShop 1.7.

1. Theme Editing Options

WordPress themes can be edited from the backend and users can easily edit the CSS and other options. Unfortunately, PrestaShop does not support this feature and merchants have to get into ftp to edit theme. If WordPress can allow the users to do that then why not PrestaShop?

1. No URL Change for Language

The current scenario is that when a PrestaShop merchants shifts to another language a prefix will be added in the url that is not according to search engine guidelines. It is a need to be addressed in PrestaShop 1.7 that urls will not change with language change.

1. 404 Page Customization

PrestaShop should go ahead to make the 404 error page more customer friendly by given the option to the merchants to show some related information at the error page. Like, “the page you are looking is not found however if you are looking to a similar page visit here”. That can be done only if merchants have the option to customize the error page.

Edited by Enrique Engblom
promotion link removed, please use signature instead (see edit history)

Hi, you are a certified agency in any country ? I do not find you in the list https://www.prestashop.com/fr/agences-web-partenaires

Currently, PrestaShop is using md5 algorithm which is out dated due to spammers and hackers. Most of the shopping carts are using advance password algorithms. Therefore, this algo should be revised in PrestaShop 1.7.

dated ? really ?

Can you put your image in your signature instead of putting it into each of your posts? Thank you

Sorry friend I a lot of crazy here:

NewsLeters: Prestashop is a eCommerce software, not a Newsletters one,our customers do not want to be bothered with this 

Clean URL: there are modules free or cheap to do that

Fast page checkout: the same as clean

Excessive features should be removed: WHAT !!! we used prestashop to sell worldwide, 16 currencies, 6 languajes, 2 warehouse (in Europe and USA) our prestashop goes over a profesional server It goes fast.

Module Sections: I don`t undestand this question, sorry, we see 23 categories for our modules

Password Algorithm: all increase of security is welcome

Theme Editing Options: In every new prestashop version, we take the standard theme and re-desing our theme and it seems easy, so we always have a new theme (and it is a very worked theme, we have a prize for the design of our store in our country)

No URL Change for Language: well this issue could be an option, I see that the major online stores worldwide YES they change URLs, the truth we like it. but I understand that other traders do not think like this.

404 Page Customization: 404 is an error, you can customize yours with prestashop, but what you must to do is make sure you web has not errors (404)

Do not forget that prestashop is free, if we don´t want or don`t know how improve our prestashop, there are many payment (or free) good modules

Magento is tremendously powerful, but if you are not trained in it, you will be not able to start it.

We are extremely happy with the help the Prestashop bring to our online sales, any improvement is welcome but (no disrespect to anyone) I think to ask for so much changes is necessary to have many more post and many more experience in Prestashop.

In fact, I really think the problem is that PrestaShop is very easy to use, and many people without knowledge tries to create an online store. Surely we do not repair our car and we don´t operate to our dog, truth !!!, we leave to the professional mechanics and medical graduates do it. In online sales we prefer the "make yourself" ... and happens what happens

In my opinion prestashop work is going very well, and certainly they will give us a version 1.7 better, and 1.8 better and a much better 1.9.

Prestashop can not made small itselves for help sellers who have small shops, because there are too many big online shops here too.

with all this, it is better to write to contribute ... not to complain mate.
Edited by moraira (see edit history)

@moraira

Excessive features should be removed: WHAT !!! we used prestashop to sell worldwide, 16 currencies, 6 languajes, 2 warehouse (in Europe and USA) our prestashop goes over a profesional server It goes fast.

It means, we should move the features multiple language, shop, currencies to separate modules. Someone don't need someone need that feature. At that time, just so simple to install separate module. Right? It makes more clearly the code beside that the performance becomes better.

@El Patron

Some one said that, it is not good for SEO. 

For example.

Firstly, my site installed one language. Default PrestaShop did not show language in the URL (abc.xyz). Right?

Secondly, I install a new language for French. Now URL changed -> abc/en/xyz or abc/fr/xyz 

Google must index again, it affects SEO my site. Right? 

Edited by cuongnp (see edit history)

@El Patron

Some one said that, it is not good for SEO. 

For example.

Firstly, my site installed one language. Default PrestaShop did not show language in the URL (abc.xyz). Right?

Secondly, I install a new language for French. Now URL changed -> abc/en/xyz or abc/fr/xyz 

Google must index again, it affects SEO my site. Right? 

the shop would be re-indexed....at the end of the day...google webmaster tools provides us with support for this sort of thing without using any .htaccess tricks...your example is for adding a language to existing shop with single language, so I understand your reluctance to 'change' url.  For those of us that want to go boldly (where  others already are) and want to localize by full language.

IETF 'best practice' is to use full language , for example look at azure by Microsoft

https://azure.microsoft.co

I will see en-us, which is my localization from my browser.  Note: of course the localization could be done at country level, but best practice is 'visitor language'.

what does this give us?

en-us

en-gb

en-ca 

es-es

es-ar

es-co

and so on and so forth.  

Tben I could take existing Spanish xlations, export and re-import as es-ar for Argentina, and localize for Argentina...today we can only localize for Spanish...when I run a sitemap and/or get indexed by bot, then I double my links for Spanish, and localize for  Spain and Argentina.  PrestaShop is 'well' positioned to include this sort of localization into existing localization features...while poking about on this last year I wrote this....it does not however implement the url change...which might be beyond my hacking expertise...but I'm hoping that will come out in new localization feature soon. :)  What attracted me to PS originally, was localization...there is not better open source on the planet in this area...

happy localizing, el

other reading (rfc5646):

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5646.txt

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

ok, my expectation?

look, ps kicked everyones behind when they move javascript bottom. who even does that? Well PrestaShop.

For me his proves true the commitment of PrestaShop founder, make this work for everyone...not even a lowly shared server can block this feature like they can for say mod_expires or mod_deflate to get upsell to vps....   I was astounded when they pushed this out and forced dev. to sink or swim...it's been a huge success even if not recognized by many for what it actually did, reduce  'significantly' above the page fold render.

expectation:  .js defer.  Not async, not ccc'ed  but .js defer..that's what we want, well what google wants..and we do what they say do...get dev to follow suit, just like you all did in 1.6,, ave maria what a perfect time to do it...lol

happy day, el

• Like 1