why does this add on not work?

Well it could be from different reasons. Most of the time it is connected to your hosting.

For example GoDaddy  have some "advanced security" for email that block sending emails

from other emails then one that have domain name in it.

Can you check in back office > advanced preferences > email  if it sends test email. 

see what I mean, that's the answer I get? prestashop really need to up their game. this is the first website I've had on here and it certainly will be the last.

If I add another email, how will I know if it works or not until we get another order? it's ridiculous that we don't have this option from the admin.

Edited by mrkidd85 (see edit history)

see what I mean, that's the answer I get? prestashop really need to up their game. this is the first website I've had on here and it certainly will be the last.

If I add another email, how will I know if it works or not until we get another order? it's ridiculous that we don't have this option from the admin.

It is not difficult to place an order yourself and test that the site and module are functioning properly. 

I just made an order. It is showing up on the email option from the CMS that an email was sent to the emails I added to the notify tool, and it says 2 emails were sent to the customer email address for confirmation. I haven't received any of these.